“This is a property in need of reinvention” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Indianapolis Marriott Downtown

Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
Ranked #30 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Kettering, Ohio
“This is a property in need of reinvention”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

I was here for a convention the week after the Super Bowl and everyone in town seemed worn out, so I will give the staff here some slack. The front desk staff were extremely pleasant, but the overall service in the hotel seemed disengaged. The hotel seems old and tired, especially compared to others in the area, like the Conrad. The location is good, but there are many hotels in the area that are equally well situated. I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards guest, so I am obviously partial to Marriott hotels, especially when traveling within the US. I don't think I would stay here again if the choice was left to me.

They charge for the internet (one of my pet peeves) but take it off the bill for Rewards guests, which is acceptable. What isn't acceptable is what happened to me at the bar when I bought a couple rounds of drinks for our group before we headed out to dinner. We stood at the bar, talking for about 45 minutes and then had to go to dinner, so I closed out my tab, tipped generously (20%) , folded the receipt in my wallet and went out to dinner.

It wasn't until a week later, when I was filling out my expense report, that I saw that there was an 18% tip ALREADY ADDED to the bill before it was handed to me. The bill still had a blank line for the tip under the total (which, remember, had the tip included already), so I missed it. The "service charge" was entered as a line item amongst the beers and as such was not easy to spot. It was listed as a "service charge" for parties of 8 or more. I don't think there were even 8 of us, but that wouldn't matter at the bar anyway.

When I called the hotel about this and talked to a manager, she naturally took the "service charge" off the bill, which upon reflection still meant that I tipped on an inflated figure. She said that the bartender was supposed to take the "service charge" off if I tipped also. Really? You inflate the bill by $35, allow the customer to tip on the inflated total, then take the "service charge" off? How many times does that actually happen?

This is a situation where even thought the manager was apologetic and pleasant, I will still avoid this hotel the next time I am in town.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the State House
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank criswelldavis
GM_Ray2010, General Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry the hotel staff seemed tired following the Super Bowl. Our goal was to not have a let down after the big weekend, but it sounds like we missed the mark with you.

I apologize for the service charge situation when the server did not identify the added charge as they presented the bill for your review. Your critique is accurate and I will work with my team to correct the process so other guests do not have the same experience you did.

Please contact me if you would like to discuss further. My phone number is 317-405-6040.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Ravenswood, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

The Hotel is located directly next to the convention center and the stadium. The zoo and several museums are in walking distance. The hotel meet expectations, although our double twin room was small for a family of four. The cleanliness of the bathroom floor could have been better but was overall satisfactory. The restaurant was closed on Sunday afternoon which is not uncommen but was an inconvienience for us. The hotel bar was open and served small meals/ sandwiches. We just wanted to grab a quick lunch and waited +30 minutes after the bartender took our order. Refills were by request only. The lunch was clearly too expensive for what you got.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us. We are happy your experience was excellent and we do look forward to you returning soon!
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

I got checked in early ( almost two hours) with no problems! The valet parking was a plus and everyone was nice from the moment I pulled up. The bell man went above and beyond to make my family happy. my hotel room was very clean and just the way i hoped for didn't have any problem. Hotel was very quite even with a lot of people around. If you needed or wanted something they where right on it to get it or fix it. Stayed on the Th floor had one of the best hotel stays i could ask for. Defiantly looking forward to going back their again!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us. I am happy you had an excellent experience. We ope to see you again very soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

Nice hotel, close to circle centre. Great food and attraction near by

• Stayed March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us. I apologize the service was slow in our lobby bar for your meal and the value was not what you expected. I hope you do choose to stay with us again the next time you are in Indianapolis and give us another chance to meet your expectations.
St. Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

My husband is a Marriott Rewards member, so we used his rewards points to book a room for spring break. We booked online and were given a free upgrade to concierge level. When we checked in, we were told we had to pay $30/day for the upgrade. But each time we went into the lounge, everything was gone! Marriott allowed several volleball teams access to the lounge so it was always picked-clean! We had also requested 2 beds for our family of four, but were told the only room available was a king. I explained to the front desk clerk that we really needed 2 beds, she smiled and reassured me that a king and a rollaway were actually more bedspace (like she was doing me a favor?) We cancelled our reservation for the 2nd night and lost our rewards points. The only bright part of the visit was the breakfast buffet - it was pricey but Donna was so friendly it helped cheer us up a bit. As we were leaving, Lisa expressed concern for our disappointment and asked how she could make things right. Marriott, we feel as though you treated us like trash because we had earned a "free" room. Let me emphasize EARNED! I would expect that you would treat your most frequent visitors with a little more courtesy. Your accomodations and staff are not worthy to be called 4-star!

1 Thank izzy613
Thank you for sharing your experience. I apologize that we did not provide an excellent experience for you. We did have a large citywide convention with volleyball in the weekend of your stay and this caused us some operational challenges with room types and volumes in our concierge level. I am sorry your earned free stay was not a positive stay. Please contact me directly so we can discuss further. My phone number is 317-405-6040.

Phil Ray
Spartanburg, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights during a convention and the location to everything is great. All the best places to eat are only4-5 blocks away.My first night was horrible due to noise from the concierge’s lounge that backed my room. The noise went until midnight and started back at 430am. I spoke to the staff and they were able to find me another room on another floor. The staff was great and went out of their way to help with anything I needed. The hotel is very large and sometimes it takes forever to get an elevator especially when the hotel is full. I waited over 20 minutes one night and finally decided to walk up the 9 flights of stairs. overall this is great hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us for your convention. I am sorry you experienced some noise issues from our concierge lounge during your stay. Also, for the delays with our elevators during the busy times. I am heppy our staff did a nice job for you.

We appreciate your business and we hope to see you again next time you are in Indianapolis.
Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

One of the friendliest hotel's I've ever stayed in. Superior staff from check in to check out. We checked in on Friday afternoon - in a whirlwind. Immediately following a horrible thunderstorm. The bellman assisted us with our gear - we were traveling with a baby and had LOTS! We ate in both restaurants -(I went on line to Restaurants.com and bought $25 certificates for $2) swam in the pool, used the inside walkway to the mall. Great weekend. We had adjoining rooms that worked perfectly for our situation. LOVE INDIANAPOLIS!

Room Tip: We were on the third floor - where the pool is located. Lots of familiy noises. We like that - if...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us. I am happy you enjoyed the hotel and our friendly staff.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Indy!