“Not a four-star as Priceline promised....”

Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
Ranked #27 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Our stay at the Marriott was fine, but I wouldn't classify it as a four-star hotel (we'd booked on Priceline and that's what category it fell into). The room was clean and nicely furnished, but a little bit small and the bathtub was very short and narrow. We like our baths, and the tub is a big measuring stick for us in any hotel. The bed, on the other hand, was super comfy. And the floor/room was nice and quiet.

We were looking forward to ordering a movie to watch in the room, but there's no PPV option here, and extra charges of $28 for overnight parking were a bit of a shock. We could have parked at a Circle City Mall lot a few blocks away for about half the price. And one of my biggest pet peeves is when upscale hotels charge a daily fee for Internet usage. Come on! Really?

The location of the hotel is very good - very close to many nice downtown restaurants and destinations, and you can walk indoors through the convention center and straight into Circle Centre Mall. And the bar area is nice, service there was very good.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
GM_Ray2010, General Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

Thank you for staying with us at the Indy Marriott Downtown. I am pleased that you enjoyed the location, the bedding package and the staff service. I am sorry you were disappointed we do not offer pay per view movies and our tub size.

The fees for the internet and the overnight parking are something we do watch closely and try to remain competitive with all other full service hotels in the downtown Indy market. Thank you for your feedback.

We hope you will choose to come back to stay with us again.

Thank you.

Reviewed July 22, 2011

From the checkin to the dinner hate to say it but just pure frustration....OUTDATED hotel with nothing but a bunch of upcharges. I have stayed in better hotels with better service recently. Parking rates were unreasonable too, especially self parking $28 a night....come on.., this is Indiana..not New York or somewhere with actual scenery and things to do. Don't forget the $40 a night for incidentals...just in case you do order something, supposed to stay 3 nights only stayed 1!!! Went to a cleaner & more updated hotel with lots of amenities, not to mention they have a parking lot of their own!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else like Westin...etc
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for staying at the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown. I am disappointed theat you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel. We take great pride in trying to provide each guest staying with us an excellent experience. If there were any specific issues you can share regarding our service and cleanliness, please feel free to contact me at my direct dial number 317-405-6040.

The fees for our parking and our internet service are comparable to other full service hotels in our market but we are sensitive to our guest frustrations.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will give us another chance next time you are in Indianapolis.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed at the Marriott Indianapolis Downtown in June. It has a wonderful location. It is only a 4-5 walk block to the center of town and numerous great restaraunts. It is directly across the street from the Convention Center (even connected by skyway), 5 blocks from Lucas Oil Stadium and 2 blocks from Victory Field (AAA baseball). The hotel was very nice and the service was good.

However, the rooms were very small and only had 2 double beds, not queen. Also a disappoint was that the swimming pool was drained and being renovated.

Overall it was a nice hotel; but not worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
GM_Ray2010, General Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

Thank you for staying at the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown. I am sorry the timing of your trip was when we needed to complete an emergency repair to our swimming pool. The pool repair is complete and the pool is back in service now. I hope the next time you are back in Indy that you will be able to enjoy all of our facilities.

Thanks and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2011

I stayed at the Marriot for a convention. It's nice that it's right across the street from the convention center and it's connected by a breezeway. Service in the hotel restaurants was pretty bad. Also, the hotel does not offer wifi, which I believe is unacceptable for a hotel at this level.

• Stayed: July 2011

Thank you for staying at the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown. I read your review and I am disappointed to hear that the service levels during your stay were not acceptable. We were ranked 11th last year in Marriott Hotels for staff service and we take our service levels very seriously. If you would like to contact me directly to share your service issues, I would like to hear from you. My direct line is 317-405-6040.

Also, I agree with your comment about WiFi being important and I am happy to report that the WiFi in the guest rooms is being installed now and it will be active in a few days. Going forward, we will have both wired and WiFi in the guest rooms.

Thanks for your comments and I hope to see you back in Indianapolis at the Marriott again soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2011

I always stay here when I travel to Indy for business. The staff are very friendly and never keep you waiting. The beds are very comfortable and rooms are clean. It's also within walking distance to plenty of restaurants and having a Starbucks in the lobby is a bonus.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank letsgoskating
GM_Ray2010, General Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Thank you for your nice comments and for being so loyal to the Indy Marriott Downtown Hotel. We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We were looking for a hotel close to good restaurants and entertainment. We found it. The rooms had high-quality bedding and other room features. The room was a bit small, but fine. The lobby space was good for meeting friends prior to heading out for fun.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for sharing your comments. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed Champions too. I appreciate your comments on areas for us to improve on so we can provide an even better experience for our guests.

Thanks for your feedback and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed June 10, 2011

Stayed at Marriott Downtown recently for a few days during a business meeting held at the hotel. This was my third time staying at this hotel (in fact, only place I've stayed when in Indy). This was the location of the business meeting, as each past visit was, so I didn't choose the hotel myself.

Mostly good points about this hotel. Great location, near to convention center, Lucas Oil field, downtown (you can walk nearly anywhere, including Conseco Fieldhouse). Location was great. Interior is nice, no complaints. They have a Starbucks in the lobby (yawn) and another restaurant that I ate lunch at but no dinners (lunches were pretty good, and I heard good things about the dinners there). Service was very good and very nice - typically midwestern. One really nice amenity is that there is a sports bar attached should you be there with a beer-drinking-after-the-meeting crowd (I always have been), which is good since you don't have to go far. And, it's super convenient to the convention center. Complimentary toiletries in bathroom - loved them! Citrusy, really nice. Good HD TV, and nice work desk (is this a place that caters to business crowd?). Great service, friendly staff. So, mostly good.

The bad? My god, paying for internet!!!! $12.95 /day or so. When will hotels get over this? Wait, did I previously presume this place caters to business crowd? Why not charge for cable TV, and go back to the days of paying for phone calls? If providing a system for us to use is that big a deal, wrap it into the room cost and we'll all be happy. Note to Marriott and other hotel chains also still clinging to this past practice: we all use internet in our rooms. It's not that big a deal! Charge us a bit extra if you have to, just don't rub my nose in it by making me pay extra.

Also, room soundproofing is average at best, but can't blame the hotel on a wingnut arguing with his wife on the phone while others should be sleeping (like, after midnight). The bath towels were strangely thin and coarse - don't recall them like this in other Marriott properties, but I'm a Hilton man usually (nice towels). They were thin, coarse, and not pleasant.

Would I stay here again? Heck yeah, if it was a business meeting. If I was choosing the location, maybe, maybe not. Would depend if something that appeared better was available.

BTW - I was there during an exceptional heat wave. Nice to find out the pool was closed - no sign, no mention at front desk, nothing at all. Thanks. No idea why it was closed. If it was to upgrade, maybe they should let current guests in on it. Also, what if that was a selling point in my reservation? Any return, rebate, etc.?

And Marriott should not be happy with that blue glass monstrosity they erected in JW Marriott. I can't imagine a place more out of character with Indy than that place. Isn't there a city planning board????? How did that place get passed? (you want character? check out Crowne Plaza at Union Station - wow!!). I was not impressed with that blue glass monolith - kept thinking of "2001 - a Space Oddessey". Wanted to grunt like a monkey and go up and touch it. Might be a great hotel, but man......

Room Tip: Get a high room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business