“Things are Definitely Changing, for the Better”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #142 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
South Bend, Indiana
“Things are Definitely Changing, for the Better”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My family and I had stayed here back in December and had a bad experience, but we had a big famiy event to attend just a few miles from this hotel and decided to give it another shot.

You can tell that they are trying to fix this hotel and get it back to looking great. They were replacing carpet in the lobby right outside of the restraunt, and had new furniture in the lobby. I also overheard a few employees discussing the upcoming changes to the hotel and restaurant while my family and i were eating breakfast. These plans sound amazing and will make this hotel much more enjoyable. Kuddos to the new owner for saving this great hotel!

Also, I believe we were at the hotel while the guy complaining about breakfast was there because he made a big to-do over not getting "free' breakfast. But, the server who was on staff explained to us that the reason why he didnt get the breakfast is because not only does his companys contract get a room rate at an almost nothing price, the hotel also shuttles the companys employees back and forth to their work site at no extra charge to them. These employees also get a generous discount at the restaurant. And besides, the breakfast is only $5.99 per person and it is a buffet style set up. I'd say it is well worth it for everything they offer. They even have a nice server on site to clean up and get you anything you might need.

Overall, in time we should see a complete 180 out of this hotel in due time. My family and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank LovinMyBabies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for the weekend, along with most of my extended family for our family reunion. Our rooms were very clean and we never had any issues.

The grandkids loved the pool and we all loved the convenience of a restaurant, Damon's, being inside the hotel, which even offered Room Service at a fair price. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful and the food was great. (They have some of the best ribs we've ever had! Definitely, a great place to take your family for dinner!)

We had some unplanned changes to our location for our Family Reunion, and after being upset that we weren't going to be able to have our reunion, the staff at Ramada Inn were eager to rent us one of their banquet rooms for the day. They just happened to have one available the day we needed. They set the room up to our liking and had Damon's cater our food for the event. The pricing was even cheaper than the first place we had booked!

Our stay was great and I would recommend it to anybody!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank MamawsLove
Fayetteville, Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I was forced due to business contractual obligation to stay at this hotel for 3 1/2 weeks. Every week my key card had to be re-activated due to the guest service counter thinking that I had checked out. The room(s) 607 and 531 were beyond horrible. The curtains were stained, the carpet was in dire need of a cleaing and the ice machine did not work. The elevators tend to stop in-between floors and one elevator is comletely shut down for some reason.
The "free breakfast" was apparently not included in my contractual obligations because guest services simply informed me that I wasn't able to eat anything because it wasn't in the contract. I found a sign/card in my bed under the sheet that stated if I wanted to do my part in protecting the environment then I would just place this card outside the door so that hotel service(s) will no I wish my bed linens to be changed. They did offer free internet for me due to my contract but it was so slow I couldn't even get a facebook game to load.
Also, I was forced into having a roommate and well lets just say that the guest service staff, Ryan, refused to accomodate a room change even though this other guest was clearly sick beyond function. This poor guy was so sick I could "feel" the sickness without stepping across the threshold. My first night I slept in my van.
The next day my key card didn't work. I went to guest services and they informed me that because the roommate was no longer in the room it was policy to deactivate all key cards associated with that room. That does make some sense. However, when I acutally entered the room I found all of this other man's stuff still there. He had clothes, personal items, food, etc. all over the room. I went right back down to the front desk to inform them of the situation. Mr. Ryan looked shocked-he opened his mouth slightly, then muttered I had no idea his stuff was still there. I informed him that there was some very personal items with delicate information just sitting up there and that I wasn't comfortable being in the room with all of that stuff. One reason for the liability of his personal information being available for me to see and second, I had no idea what made that man so sick!
It took the better part of the afternoon/evening for the seemingly un-professional housekeeping staff to clean out the room. I wound up sleeping another night in my van. The next day guess what happened-my key card didn't work again. Lets just say that Ryan and I got to know each other very well from that point onward. I was approached by another guess that informed me that they were switching rooms because of a possible bed-bug infestation, though I could find no evidence in my room(s).
He did apoligize for the issue and quickly re-activated my key card. I was actually looking forward to staying in a room that night, but I was quickly wishing that I wasn't. The hotel was having air conditioning issues and well my floor didn't have any air conditioning. All the unit did was blow around the hot air that was already in the room. This continued on and off-again for the rest of my stay, a period of three and half weeks.
I have stayed in a number of different hotels all around the world and I can say without any doubt in my mind that it would only be doing the Ramada family of hotels justice if they demolished this particular hotel. The staff needs to be trained in proper customer service/appeciation skills; Room presentation/upkeep; General maint. issues/repair; General property upkeep/presentation. The parking lot was dirty and convered with trash, weeds were growing in the flower bed area(s). It was a dreadful stay whether you are on business or personal/family travel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here and book somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank rgiles_984

Travelers are raving about these Indianapolis hotels

Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 2, 2011

The carpets were badly stained, the bathtub had a terrible ring around it and I had to wear my flip flops to shower. The television continously blanked out, the hallways were noisy, I smelled smoke and marijuana from the room across the hall.
I asked the housekeeper for clean towels because the ones in the bathroom appeared to be dingy or dusty. When she returned with supposingly clean towels, the hand towels had feces on them. I became very angry and asked to "PLEASE" bring me some fresh, clean towels. She put the blame on the laundry personnel.
The morning that my family and I went down for the free continental breakfast there was no bagels. I. then asked the hostess if she could bring some more out. The hostess went to tha back to bring some more out and when she did she brought them out with her bare hands after sliding her hands down the rails in the area of the lounge. So she then came back out with gloves on but she had the bagels resting on her clothing and she WASN'T wearing an apron!!! The staff had no clue in on how to service the customers. Please sleep someplace else because paying $99.99 per night is ridiculous. They would be doing you a favor with the price of $29.99 a night.

Room Tip: I have no good tips for you. Find another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Goldie49136
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 2, 2011

enjoyed stay, courteous service, clean rooms, i recommend to all staying in the area.
good price.
i will come back here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank naveed1970
Chicago
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Would not stay here again although the stay provided many laughs (only because we have a sense of humor). We arrived to stay for a soccer tournament with teenagers late Friday evening. Upon walking into lobby, we were confronted by very loud music laced with profanity because a "male revue" (male strip show) going on in the lounge. I'm sure it was a business decision, but still not sure why the male revue would be scheduled the same time as a youth soccer tournament stay. Immediately headed to Damons for a big old cocktail to find one glass of wine (not lying here), ONE glass of wine left in the entire place - of any color! Allowed the kids to go to the pool but forbid them to enter the hot tub - looked disgusting! The caveat here... rooms were fine, but had hoped not to be holed up in the room the whole stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank ChicagoPie
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I found this hotel to be clean and good for one night stay on a business trip. It was a very good value. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk manager
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business