“Fantastic Surprises”

Black Market
Ranked #147 of 2,384 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We believe the best neighborhood restaurants should be the place where you can enjoy fantastic food with eccentric beer, wine, and cocktail offerings. We opened on the East End of Massachusetts Avenue because our neighbors take food as seriously as we do, which makes it one of the most exciting food destinations in the city. We serve comfort foods with a modern update. Our obsession with age old pickling and preservation methods often makes appearances in our carefully crafted dishes. We believe that good food shouldn't be overly complex and the atmosphere reflects that attitude. We'll welcome you in jeans or a suit. Don't have time for a meal? That's okay with us. Come on in after work to unwind with a drink.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Indianapolis has recently blossomed with new and exciting restaurants. Black Market is one of them. It is not a place to filll up on standard fare and starchy foods. You gotta go there when you want something special. The restaurant appears to satisfy the theater crowd (lots of people running around in black - lol). It is a trendy restaurant tucked away at the end of Massachusetts Ave. The building is a little small in comparison to the demand it requires. We were told that the wait was about an hour (Friday night).So...... my wife and I cozied up to their bar, ordered from their well-stocked wine and beer menu, and the time flew by.

The staff was very friendly and professional. Kirsten, our server, did a super job at describing the fare. My wife had the braised pork chop with a maple glaze and cheddar grits. She allowed me to sample them. Although I'm not a big grits fan, I was startled by the flavor (Fantastic Surprise #1).

Normally, I gravitate to the major steak dishes to satisfy my gastro needs. However, being in a special place, I decided to become adventurous and ordered a non-standard item for appetizer- Beef tongue and heart. Surprisingly, it did not have and overpowering taste like liver. It was offset by a salad (I think it was balsamic) that successfully balanced the experience.

One of the main reasons I wanted to write this review was my choice of main dish. I ordered the mussels in a currry sauce. Originally, this dish was described as an appetizer, but should be noted as a main dish.The blend of curry and other spices satisfied me better than a steak. (Fantastic Surprise #2).

By the end of the dinner, we were greeted by the main chef, who verified that our needs were met. The final bill was relatively smaller than we expected.

Overall, the experience was excellent. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for something a little different.

1  Thank Indyengineer
There are newer reviews for Black Market

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have been reading a lot about Black Market in various Indy media so decided to try for lunch on a Sat. Various attempts at night were very crowded. We shared a couple of dishes and there was plenty of food for both of us. It is small but has a nice atmosphere. The service was excellent and the food delicious. If crowded you may have to share on of the large tables so may not be the best choice for romance. Otherwise awesome food for Indy at the end of Mass Ave!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

In the capital of chains, franchises and me too restaurants..now there is the Balck Market. Original, different with a waiting staff who are probably a bunch of friends, certainly not your regular tip triggered waiters.
A highly original menu. Just don't expect to understand it and to get what you think. "Smoking Goose" is a fish... a good fish though. Delicious actually.

The ambiance is right out of a David Lynch movie. The exterior just calls Jean-Pierre Jeunet to make a next movie. The interiour is a bit outbeat, stylish without being freakish. Balanced.

So all good but then.... where do you get beef tongue cocktail nowadays? The delicious tender meat neglected by so many. Perfectly prepared with reed beets..

1  Thank Sjier
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Since I liked the Black Market on Facebook, their daily menu specials keep catching my attention. This place is becoming our date location.

What recently caught my eye was a drink called a Quintana. Mescal, bourbon, housemade pear shrub and bitters. Wow! This was a delicious smoky and slightly sweet choice. We enjoyed the housemade mozzarella sticks with a nice tangy marinara. Since we were enjoying our time together as well as our cozy seats at the bar, we tried a couple other drinks.

Mark had the Jackie Treehorn and the 9 Toed Bunny. The Jackie was more of an after dinner drink, which was fine since we were done with food. Personally, I would love this drink with a hearty bran muffin at brunch. The bunny was tart, fresh and crisp.

Service at the Black Market is friendly, prompt and genuine. Since their menu is includes a lot of locally made ingredients, prepared innovatively, explanations are sometimes needed. Each staff member is well versed in describing the fare, and the beverages.

Interior is rustic and casual. Lighting creates great ambiance.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Great atmosphere, nice patio area, and excellent service. Even the beer selection was great. The food was very good, though I must say I expected to be more impressed, particularly given that most entrees are over $20.

That's not to say it was a bad experience by any means. The Welsh Rarebit (aged cheddar & ale melted over barley bread) was a great starter and complemented the beer very well. After that it fell a little short. My Goat Cheese Tamales were fairly bland and there simply wasn't much to the meal. Thankfully my wife's Curried Eggplant & Noodles was both more flavorful and filling.

I'm optimistic that the next visit will meet my expectations, particularly if they include more veggie options.

Note: Come early if possible as they don't accept reservations.