“great steak and atmosphere”
Review of Tavern on South

Tavern on South
Reserve with OpenTable
Tavern on South is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #114 of 2,449 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The tables on the outside balcony looked great, but we enjoyed dining inside in a quiet room for our group. The rare fillet was melt-in-your-mouth--as good as any I've had elsewhere. Our wait staff was topnotch and the owner stopped in to make sure everything was okay.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Limited menu. Very eccletic for a bar, all menu items had in my opinion an unappetizing sauce or accompaniment. Would have loved some home cooking. I had the bison burger which was good, but the homemade chips were not fresh.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

This was my 4th visit,, the previous 3 were after work gatherings with friends, this time it was part of a weekend escape with my wife.

I knew most of the downtown restaurants that were well known by visitors and tourists would be packed. There were two big conventions going on and all the downtown hotels were sold out.

Parking lots were charging $10 a car, so i wanted to avoid all of this and grab a quality, quiet meal with my wife.

They have their own free parking.

Outside dining is available both upstairs and down, but we selected a spot at the bar where it was nice and quiet.

Drinks were good, I had the prime rib, my wife had a tavern salad and burger and every bite was fantastic. Staff was attentive and it's on our short lists for a return visit.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I decided to take the opportunity to try Tavern on the South during Devour Downtown. We made reservations on Open Table and were promptly seated when we arrived. Our waiter took our drink orders quickly and brought them to us in a timely manner. After we gave our orders it took over 30 min for our salads to arrive. Our waiter was apologetic and said the entrée would not take as long. He talked up Tavern saying there weren’t like most restaurants during Devour, in that they actually served full portions rather than limited portions due to the reduced prices Although our waiter was true to his word, the entrée did come out more quickly, the food was not good and it was definitely a reduced size. I ordered the surf and turf and my filet was about 2 oz. of charred meat. After trimming all the burnt meat off the outside my medium steak still tasted burnt. My sea bass was very fishy and even my husband who is not picky about fish didn’t finish it. My husband ordered the BBQ ribs which he wasn’t overly impressed with. After finishing our meal, we ordered our dessert. It took over 20 min for our desserts to be delivered to our table, both of which were just slices of torte, nothing that had to be made. The best part of the evening is after spending almost 2 hours at the restaurant, we found out they did not validate parking even though their restaurant parking lot had about 20 parking spots and a sign saying there was other parking available at a nearby parking garage. After paying the bill I decided to speak to the manager just to make him aware of the amount of time we spent waiting for our food. He handled the situation very poorly immediately making excuses, rather than just apologizing. Very disappointing, needless to say we will not be returning.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Just around corner from Holiday Inn. Great variety of beverages. Food was good as well. Nice balcony available as well.