“Spectacular Service, Average Food”

El Mezcal Indianapolis
Ranked #290 of 2,454 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Service was absolutely outstanding. Chips and salsa were great. The house margaritas were just okay, they had a chemical lime flavor and tasted overtly sweet to me, we didn't try one of the margarita specials. Dinner was fajitas for 2, the spices were a bit overwhelming but the guacamole and pico were very good.There was a LOT of food for the price, so dinner was a good value. I would go back again when I'm in town.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The drinks are great here. The server was attentive though not overly friendly. Maybe because his English is limited.
The salsa was the best I have had in Indy and the chips were warm, crispy and fresh.
The strawberry frozen margarita was very tasty and a good size for the price. Then the food came...YUCK! It was all processed food and the sauce tasted like chef-boy-r-dee spaghetti sauce.
I only ate three bites and as the server came to ask if everything was ok, I told him the truth.
In a while he brought the check and told me he had only charged me for the drink since I didn't eat the food. I was not trying to get a free meal, and yes, I did have to go somewhere else for dinner since I was still hungry.
I live close to this restaurant and I hope they can get someone who knows HOW to cook Mexican and find fresh ingredients. The building is worn but has promise. Come on, owners and managers, you put up a new sign out front on Michigan Road that says "best mexican food." When is that going to happen at your place? Get busy.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I am used to Mexican food and was looking forward to eat at this restaurant.
The food seem to have been re-heated with a taste of old. My wife was sick all night and I was not feeling well myself. I was supposed to have enchiladas poblanas that ended up without poblano and bland taste. The filling was different in each enchilada and the last one was filled with a disgusting old cheese. The waiter was trying to convince me that the poblano was hidden inside, as if it was possible to have hidden poblano that do not taste poblano...
I am still very upset with this experience, specially that my wife has been sick.
I will never go back to that restaurant and will advise anyone not to try this place.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We actually ate at the El Meson located in Lebanon which is located in a strip center on the north side. We went with our son and his family who live in Lebanon. We are from San Antonio where 60%+ restaurants are Mexican so we have a good idea what TexMex or interior Mexican food tastes like and were disappointed. The food was good, plentiful and inexpensive but far from true TexMex or what many call Mexican food. I am sure that the locals find it spicy but I thought it was mild to medium at best and wished for more spice. Many of the menu offerings were a bit strange to me so I was left wishing for enchilada verde or carne adobada at least. Frankly nothing really excited me on the menu. Our son was quite happy though with the food so for people in this area, it probably is good. The service was prompt but the server lacked any emotion or even conversation with us which was a little strange. The music was loud and was rock music from the 70's which was a little unsettling as I expected something more Mexican. The decor was minimal but did hint of Mexican although I am accustomed to hole in the wall mom and pop places at home that serve really good TexMex in minimal surroundings. True Mexican cooking is a lot different depending on what part of Mexico it comes from and can be quite delicious.

Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Very good food. I looked at the ratings on trip advisor and thought it would be a good choice. I was very impressed with the quality and the promptness of the food.