“Very well maintained old theater”

Indiana Repertory Theatre
Ranked #20 of 166 things to do in Indianapolis
Zionsville, Indiana
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Very well maintained old theater”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Good sound in the place and fairly intimate setting. Typically have a very fine cast. Recent Kurt Vonnegut play was enjoyable. Going back. YOu might try parking at Circle Center mall across the stree to save some money on parking.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Mike N

Indianapolis, Indiana
115 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Not a bad seat in the house”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have been to numerous shows, on both stages, at IRT. It's a grand old theater with beautiful architecture inside and out. I have yet to find a bad seat, you can see the stage well from all angles. The cast and crew always put on a winning performance and you can really see that they give it their all! A Christmas Carol is always a delightful performance, but I am sure any play there would be enjoyable. Most recently I saw Who Am I This Time? A nod to Indianapolis' own Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. It was a great adaptation of several of his short stories. They have discount shows on certain nights, student pricing, shows with ASL interpreters, and some shows have Q&A with the cast afterward. We usually get a package deal for several shows throughout the season. It's a great way to spend an evening with a date or with a group.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank AudKat
Delphi, Indiana
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Terrific Play, great seats, beautiful theater!!”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Took our 7 year old granddaughter to see "A Midsummer Night's Dream" evening performance and she was enthralled--not to mention hooked on Shakespeare and attending live plays! We all throughly enjoyed the performance and the beauty of this historic building. We, also, had great front row seats! The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is because of the dust. There was a thick, visible layer of dust on the stage, showing the foot prints of every actor, and a great cloud of dust eveytime the curtain was touched in any way. We live in a 160 year old house that is certainly not dust free...but this great cloud of dust everywhere kicked up our granddaughter's asthma and allergies. Nothing that was not controlled with a puff from an inhaler and an antihistamine...but beware if you are greatly allergic to dust. Perhaps a good cleaning is in order?

Visited April 2013
2 Thank heavensake
Indianapolis
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Beautiful theater. Never had a bad seat.”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I love this theater/s. We have seen shows on both stages and even the large stage feels very accessible, like you're in a small theater. I have been seeing shows here since I was a young kid and until recently the family had season tickets. I have to admit that the shows are sometimes hit or miss. The shows that have been good have been great. Shows that I have thought about days, weeks, or even years later. And they definitely outnumber the ones that haven't been as good. The architecture of the building is spectacularly ornate. If you see a show here, come early. Take some time to walk around and get a good view of the place.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank amanita80
Sneads Ferry, North Carolina
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Delightful Experience!”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We went to this theatre to see A Christmas Carol during the holiday season. This is a cozy theatre with exceptional local talent. Given the size, all the seats are good! My ten-year old daughter had a wonderful time and wants to come back next year! Added bonus: before the play, they had carolers in the lobby dressed up in period clothes!

Visited December 2013