“Don't Let the Hotel Aspect Deter You!”
Review of Osteria Pronto

Osteria Pronto
Reserve with OpenTable
Osteria Pronto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 2,448 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Washington
Description: Osteria Pronto, located on the lobby level of the JW Marriott hotel in Indianapolis, serves authentic regional Italian Cuisine in a casual and comfortable environment with an approachable price point. From the open kitchen, the culinary team prepares Osteria's menu from scratch with local products and fresh ingredients. The wine list celebrates wines of Italy, with representations from the US and other prominent wine regions worldwide. The bar and lounge feature all day dining and a broad selection of specialty cocktails. "Osteria Pronto: Your neighborhood gathering place!" The word Osteria (oste'ria) in Italian literally means "Tavern" and refers to a casual inexpensive restaurant that is part of a neighborhood's daily lifestyle. Pronto (pron'to), literally means "ready" and is considered to be a friendly and inviting greeting.
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I am not sure how many times I have dined at a restaurant within a hotel and left disappointed. These restaurants are typically overcharging to accommodate a busy traveller who they only have to serve once before they are disappointed and move on to the next business location. However, all of my misconceptions and previous experiences had to be thrown out the window for this dining experience.

To begin, Chef Rino is a bundle of Italian joy that has a way of introducing various Italian foods that wake up the palette. He channels the flavors of his grandma's Italian cooking by using her recipes on a few of the menu items such as the meatballs and the Tiramisu. The flavors are exquisite, authentic and are not delicate enough to not destroy the palette with garlic or other flavors allowing your tastebuds to have the full experience with each dish ordered.

The general feel of the restaurant is an open air environment with the ability to look right into the kitchen. Somehow, the open concept is not overdone and the ambience of the lighting and options of elegant booths or tables is perfect for both family and romantic dining experiences. The noise level is ideal for conversation among any dining party even while the restaurant is enjoying the vibrant weekend crowd.

As for the food and the quality, my family unanimously agreed that the flavors were fresh with some new twists on old tricks such as the Calamari which is infused with other components of fried vegetables and a flavorful mayo drizzled on a heap of goodness. I dined with my wife and three young girls (8 and younger) and we simply left "stuffed." We shared a trio of appetizers ($8-12), cesar salad ($7), entrees ($22-35), and finished with dessert ($7). We wanted to try the various dishes because we were interested in the Chef's ability to present italian food given his experiences listed on the restaurant's website. After all, an Italian meal would not be authentic without trying multiple dishes and going all out for a wonderful night on the town! Let me just mention that there are at least two dishes you should try if you decide that this restaurant becomes part of your plans; seabass and the osso buco which are both served with different risottos. My only suggestion (although I was happy with our choices) is that the chef did not offer a "special" menu that capitalizes on the current season. I would have liked to see a pumpkin ravioli or eclectic take on a rotating seasonal menu even if only a couple items.

The wine listing is lengthy and they offer a reserve listing if you so prefer. The wine listing is the only part of the menu offerings that are overpriced for the options available but this is typical of hotel restaurants and is not a reflection of the chef, but a reflection of hotel management. That being said, the prices for the menu items are reasonable for the quality of food provided and do not go too far as I mentioned other hotels do. I can assure you that this restaurant will be a part of our regular dining rotation and we look forward to future experiences - even if we eat the same dishes on our return.

Finally, the service was above average from the moment we were seated until we left. The water glasses were always full and the wine was poured into the glasses for us. Although this is an expectation at such restaurants, I'm surprised at how many waiters no longer maintain the right level of attentiveness to accommodate my drinking habits.

1  Thank ManFromIndiana

Reviewed October 5, 2012

The prices were very reasonable especially for a hotel and such nice decorations. The food was very flavorful and plentiful. Didn't like being told about the wine "special" of the month w/o the courtesy of being told the price, yes I should have asked but never expected the special to be $15. Will definitely go again just won't get the "special" of the month wine.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We tried this restaurant since we were staying at the hotel. We were very pleased. The service was excellent. I had a little issue with my entree which was very quickly resolved. I highly recommend the donuts for desert. They are to die for!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

You can never be sure about a restaurant in a convention hotel, but the chef is superb at Osteria. I had a couple of meals here, and each had great taste, great visual appeal, and a nice combination of flavors and textures.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was expecting so much more when this new Italian restaurant opened in an upscale hotel. It hit me as a typical hotel restaurant. Atmosphere was austere with a big, open kitchen dominating - I'm fine with the open kitchen type of atmosphere, but this took it too far. The food was OK, but not what you would expect from a nice Italian restaurant. Service was average. There are many Italian restaurants in the city that are better for the same or lower cost.

mspadavecchia, Manager at Osteria Pronto, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your review. Your comments and feedback are our number one tool for improving our restaurant. We are very proud of our food and service and are disappointed to see that we did not deliver on your dining experience. We would like the opportunity to invite you back in so you can enjoy a great Osteria Pronto dining experience. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience so we can make this disappointing experience right for you.

Mehdi Spadavecchia