“Hidden Treasure”

Ranked #39 of 2,403 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: When you come dine with us, this is what you'll experience... A little history, a lot of art, and above all incredible food! Our goal at The Library is to delight you with the very best foods and the very best service we can provide. Our specialty is fine steaks and exceptional food that is freshly prepared by our very talented kitchen team. We offer an extensive dinner menu including steaks, seafood, chicken, pasta, salads, and vegetarian dishes. At lunch, a bountiful, freshly-prepared salad, soup and pasta bar is offered along with a wide variety of sandwiches and daily specials. All our cuisine is only complimented with our extensive wine selection. We are located in a beautiful building, which once was the Mon Reve, an exclusive French restaurant built by the late Lou Jenn (founder of Jenn-Air) almost three decades ago. Fortunately, much of the building's grandeur has been retained for us to enjoy, from Venus' Fountain and rose garden, restored vintage crystal chandeliers, beautiful woodwork, and classical oil paintings. Recently, we have added a large patio for our guests to enjoy the outdoors, we have opened our beautiful "Upstairs at The Library" for banquets, private dining, and business meetings, and we have recently opened our beautiful new bar, complete with large screen TV's and original oil paintings of Indy's favorites - the Colts, Indy 500, Brickyard 400, and Moto GP. We look forward to serving you.
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Library is a hidden treasure. The chef's "reuben soup" is to die for. Our waiter was Christopher and he was a jewel. Great food, affordable prices and service with a smile.
I would definately recommend this restaurant. Enjoy Robin

1  Thank Robin G

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Where does a group of guys who want to sing and make noise find a good dinner? We found it here. With the choice of fish, chicken, pork chops and steak the wait staff was seamless in providing great service while staying out of the way. The price was very reasonable for a very good pork-chop dinner. Everyone at the table also liked their dinner.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is gourmet food that you wouldn't take the time to prepare at home. Thoughtful marriage of tastes and textures. Christopher, our server, made the experience memorable. He served without hovering, and made us feel like we were the most important people in the restaurant.

This is gourmet food that you wouldn't take the time, and probably not have the experience, to prepare at home. Great combination of tastes and textures. Christopher, our server, made the experience memorable, treating us like we were the most important diners in the restaurant. Overall, it was one of the highlights of the trip. Thanks, Christopher.

1  Thank Thomas V
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I have ate in many restaurants with similar names, and they usually strike up an image of quiet ambiance, with solid, reliable food. Well, I flew into Indianapolis, and my hotel was out on the edge of town near the airport, with narry a restaurant in sight. So I fired up Trip Advisor, and found this place only 15 minutes away, with a good recommendation. It was Monday night, and I knew every place begs for business on this night. So I drove over to The Library. Place was very placid, looks like a road house, maybe 10 patrons in sight. Hushed atmosphere, so far so good. So I ordered the rib steak, green beans, a side of sauted mushrooms with a chopped salad to start. Service was fine, Peggy, the waitress was charming and helpful, but not exactly attentive. After a short wait, the salad came out; just fine. Shortly after the rib steak and veggies came. The steak looked like the 6 oz. 'breakfast steak' at Dennys....Ugh. So I sliced it open, found it had a cold, but not juicy center...Maybe it had been frozen then pan seared? I took 2 bites, and realized that it smelled awful, like old, and perhaps freezer burned? I thought, well how are the veggies? The mushrooms looked like presliced out of a jar, and the green beans were just frozen beans that had been microwaved!....Not good!. I flagged down Peggy and explained the situation with the steak, and asked for another, but this time I wanted a FRESH steak. She was very apologetic. A few minutes later a better steak arrived, without the odor, but still very thin, with gristle....definitely not Prime beef. This was a worst meal I have had in ages......I can't fault the waitress, but the kitchen staff was definitely not at the top of their game......

1  Thank Texan127
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I've worked near the Library for many years, and their service/food has varied widely. The building was actually built to house a fancy French restaurant when it first opened, which explains the rather fancy exterior of the building, but the inside is comfortable and family friendly. I recently returned there for lunch, and was pleasantly surprised. They've done some redecorating, which has freshened things up, and they had a good menu of sandwiches, along with a small soup and salad bar. I enjoyed my tuna salad wrap and the crisp French fries that came with it, and our server was prompt and cheerful. There aren't a lot of restaurants besides fast food in this small area, and I'll certainly return to The Library in the future.