“Overdue review of a pet-friendly restaurant.”
Review of Barking Dog Cafe - CLOSED

Barking Dog Cafe
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife, my dog and I had our first lunch at the Barking Dog late last year. Sorry for the overdue review... I wrote it and promptly forgot to submit it. FYI- our experience was very positive. Very warm fall day, sat outside. Service was good, our waiter was friendly and chatty, and whom I presume to one the owners (or the owner's wife) came over to talk with us about our dog. And as importantly, our meals were good. I tried the Bark Lard and it was pretty loaded with bacon. My wife had a really good chicken salad sandwich (but the Jersey Cafe chicken salad sand is still her fav in Indy). And our pooch Sunny gobbled up her doggie burger. (Sunny also gobbled up an old French fry and dead cricket she found on the sidewalk, so her endorsement isn't as persuasive.) The only negatives is that I note is that the prices are a tad high and I can see how parking would be a problem in the evening or on the weekends.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have been in love with Barking Dog for years. My favorite place to visit in the spring when the weather breaks to take my Jack Russell for lunch on a Saturday afternoon. Sam even gets her own cheese burger and fries.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

My daughter and I had lunch at the Barking Dog Cafe on July, 31, 2013. The menu has a great variety of items. What to choose, what to choose? I started with a cup of clam chowder. This was by far the BEST I've ever had! Huge chunks of sweet tender clams, potatoes were very small, the broth was thick and full of flavor. I chose a cheese burger deluxe...I know boring right? Maybe but it was delish. Add to that a side of creamy cole slaw topped with quality blue cheese. This really wowed both of us. Who would have thought blue cheese on slaw? My daughter had the "Bark Lard" BLT. In house cured fresh bacon, homemade tomato jelly some kind of condiment that was out of this world. The only thing missing for me was.....peanut butter! I k ow gross right? Try it you will be hooked forever on your BLT (it's a family thing). Four thumbs up from us! Can't wait to go back and try the fried oysters!

1  Thank BeingMe1967
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This place is worth checking out. I had the Shrimp Roll and it was great! My son had a BLT and the bacon was also very good. We will definitely visit again if we are in Indianapolis!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife, son and I dropped by for lunch on a Friday. Their seating is limited between what is inside and the few tables outside, but they weren't that busy when we arrived so it wasn't a problem. Although we had seen some negative reviews concerning the service, we didn't have any problems. It wasn't the most attentive we've ever had, but we didn't feel neglected and it was consistent with most cafes one might try.

I ordered their black bean burger, my wife had a veggie sandwich, and my son ordered the clam roll. All of our food was good, with the clam perhaps being the best considering the amount of clam strips his sandwich had in addition to it being the tastiest without being overly breaded I've ever tried. The other two sandwiches were good, but my wife felt that she could have made the veggie sandwich just as well at home and I prefer the black bean burger at Scotty's. Probably the main issue we had was that you simply don't get much of a side with your sandwich without spending a decent bit more. You get an option of cole slaw or chips in addition to a couple of pickle bites, but the cole slaw is served in a dipping sauce container and the chips aren't anything special. My wife also ordered one of their large cookies before we left. Although it was large, it wasn't one of the better cookies I've had and apparently cost more than my wife was willing to share after the fact.

Overall, the food was fine, but not worth a special trip as we had made, especially when considering the value. With all of the dining options that are available in the Broad Ripple area, we probably won't be back unless I get a hankering for the clam in their clam roll. Perhaps if we lived closer we'd feel differently and try some other menu items.