“I'd give 7 stars if I could!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Barking Dog Cafe
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
“I'd give 7 stars if I could!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We tried this small cafe in the scenic Meridian Hills area with our two grandchildren, ages 10 and 8. We had eaten at the Barking Dog at their previous location in Franklin, and liked it very much.
When we saw it was on "Diners, etc" we decided to give it a try.
It's a small restaurant, but offers additional seating outside. They also have water bowls if you bring your dog. We were there at noon, and they were busy but not packed. Our waiter presented the specials, and was very friendly, yet professional.
Our grandson had a cup of clam chowder as a starter. It looked so good when it arrived that our granddaughter decided to get one, too. I'm glad she did , because she shared it with me. We all agreed it was the best we've ever tasted. In case you doubt the opinion of two children, we travel to the gulf coast often, and they love to try clam chowder in new places! I thought it was much better than the Chart House, my previous gold standard.
The kids both had fried clams, (one sandwich, one lunch). They, too, were excellent, hot, tender, lightly battered and delicious. I had the shrimp roll (as seen on Diners), and it was terrific. My husband really enjoyed the tuna salad.
The people at the next table had some yummy looking peach cobbler. We were sorry we were too full.
We talked to the owner, and found her pleasant and cordial.
This was an excellent meal, and we'll definitely go back.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Palacegypsy13

Indiana
“Great BLT and I don't like BLTs!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

I brought a colleague for a late lunch on Friday. It wasn't busy at all which concerned me. This cafe had been featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. We both had the BLTs. They were great! Instead of slices of tomatoes on the sandwich they had a delicious tomato jam. Yum yum. The bacon was nice and thick but not too thick to bite into on a sandwich. The coleslaw was tasty too though the portion was very small (served in a small metal cup that might normally hold a side of ketchup.) And they had these wonderful pickles. You have to try. We shared a side of fries which were good but a bit pricey at $3.95. Service was solid. Would definitely go back.

Illinois
“Very good food in a neat neighborhood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

Six of us stopped here after a soccer game around 11:30 a.m. on a Saturday. We came for the homemade bacon & the fact it was featured on "Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives." The boys loved their burgers - two patties, three pieces of bun, & a special sauce. I had the BLT. It was great as advertised. Our waiter was nice. The owner gave us our bill & took our payment. She wasn't overly friendly, but she wasn't rude. I would definitely go there, again. The houses in the neighborhood are interesting. Also, Butler is nearby & has a nice campus. We'll go, again, the next time we're in the area. I'll try the clam chowder if I can talk someone into splitting the BLT with me.

• Visited April 2012
Indianapolis
“Great food, horrendous service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

Food was excellent, from the clam chowder to the blueberry dessert. I'd go back for lunch in a heartbeat, but sadly I won't because of the service. Apparently the regular waitstaff wasn't there, and the poor man filling in as the waiter was subjected to a constant barrage of yelling from the owner. She was downright mean to him- and rude to the customers. Apparently from reviews I've read on other sites, this was not a one-time experience. Five stars for the food, but zero for the service.

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank am2indy
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great little neighborhood cafe operated by the owners. Really enjoyed the non-chain experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

While in Indy we tried the Barking Dog Cafe. It was a Guy Fieri find. We loved it. The BLT with tomato jam was right on. I also tried the Clam chower it was some of the best I have had. The place is small so you might need reservations. We walked in when they opened and sat right down. The staff was prompt and the owners friendly. I saved this one on my GPS.