“Interesting spot”

Ranked #163 of 2,358 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between E. 49th St & E. 50th St.
Description: Great place with a menu that changes every night!
Indiana
“Interesting spot”
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I think it is very important to see the menu prior to showing up as the entree choice will be very limited...but very good! I had the rib eye, which was delicious. Portions on the small side, however, after 4 courses, even hearty appetites are satisfied! We had a very good experience, service was prompt but not rushed. A little on the pricey side, however!

Visited April 2013

Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Excellent ingredients, expertly prepared.”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

The menu is for the evening is fixed. The price is on the high end. But if you have a willingness to eat what the chef has chosen for the menu and the budget to afford it, this may be the best prepared food in town. We did have a few options on the night we dined but I'm sure there was no going wrong with either choice. A little pricey for our regular budget but we'll definitely be back as occasion permits.

“Great food, wine, and service!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Recess is a hidden gem, with great food, wine and service. You won't have to worry about ordering, and that's no problem. The fixed menu offers fresh local fare, and will send you away feeling full and satisfied! Creative dishes are simple, but alive with flavor. I have dined there twice, and each time was great. Staff is very helpful, and will get you the right wine with each course. The banana split dessert offered during my latest visit was particularly delicious! Go support this great chef!

1 Thank Sgg639
Berkeley, California
“Small Gem Of A Restaurant & Foodie's Delight”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I are from the San Francisco Bay Area, Berkeley to be exact, and have enjoyed numerous great meals at our local restaurants (like Chez Panisse, Gary Danko, etc). Four times a year we travel to Indianapolis for business. We feel Recess is a culinary experience on the same level as some of the top eating destinations found in San Francisco or New York City. Don't be fooled by the modest store-front location in SoBro (south of Broad Ripple) and minimalist decor ... The food is excellent and Recess offers an exceptional culinary experience. The menu changes daily, depending on what is in season and what is freshly flown in and available. It is a prix-fixe menu but very reasonably priced for the four course meal. You can pair wines with your meal or select your own from an impressive wine list. Since there aren't many things on the menu, the chef can really concentrate on the fresh preparation of each person's meal. The menu has consistently been creative, inventive and delicious. There have been a few times when I've read the menu and was not so sure it "sounded good" and would be something I would enjoy, but I would put my trust in the chef and my previous experiences and go ahead and order. I have yet to be disappointed and i have consistently been extremely surprised by just how good everything tastes. If you don't want the four course meal, you can go next door to Room Four where smaller plates of tasty and creative foods by the same chef can be enjoyed. There are many fancier and better-known places around Indianapolis, but if you are into creative, well-prepared meals, this place is the place to go.

• Visited March 2013
Indianapolis, IN
“It Never Disappoints Us”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I have visited this wonderful restaurant at least half a dozen times since its opening. We were just there on Saturday, February 16, for a belated Valentine's dinner. We always enjoy the wine pairings that accompany the prix fixe menu, and this meal was absolutely lovely. Every dish was just the right size, delicious, and paired perfectly with its chosen wine. Go online or call to check the day's menu before you try to go - you often cannot get a last minute, weekend reservation anyway. Be adventurous, and splurge! You won't be sorry.

• Visited February 2013