“Expected more....”

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #8 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Beautiful hotel, but very busy hotel. Hotel staff seemed overwhelmed at times and not as friendly as last time I visited - especially staff in the evenings and at night. I was given a beautiful room on the river side on a high floor which was appreciated. First two nights were great, but on the third morning I had no hot water in my room. I made the hotel aware of the situation and since I was gone during the day they stated they would send someone up to check out the problem. When I returned to my room 12 hours later no one had been to fix the problem and when I called the front desk to inquire they did offer to come up at that time (7:00 pm!). At this point I had already settled in the for the evening and ordered room service so it was very inconvenient (and being a woman traveling alone) so I declined to let them come up. Since the first two days were fine I hoped that maybe it was a temporary problem and I would not encounter the same issue the next day, but I was wrong. I left my room on the fourth morning for work for a few hours but returned near noon to check out. The hotel had left a message on my room phone saying they could now come up and fix the problem....bad timing since I was checking out that day and fixing the problem really did me no good at that point. I went to the front desk to check out and express my disappointment. They did comp my room service from the night before and offered me a few Marriott points, however I found it a very disappointing experience at hotel of this quality and level of customer service.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Thank you for your feedback, and I am sorry we did not provide you the excellent service you should expect. This is not typical of our team, and I will speak to my Front Office and Engineering teams in this regard. We will take the necessary steps to correct any issues.
It was a pleasure to have you with us, and I do hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our service and facility.

There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Indianapolis

Reviewed July 17, 2014

I attended a conference here and found the public areas beautiful and all the staff I encountered very helpful and attentive. I will review the sports bar separately, but I recommend it if you are staying here!

Negatives- Parking fees and Internet Access are exorbitant. Tech support seemed very lacking for the presenters. There were no bed liners in the restroom changing tables- that is fairly common, but I thought at a prestigious property such as this one, they might have taken that extra step to be above par.

Speaking of the restrooms- if you use them, note that they are no-touch, but they are not self flushing! You have to waive your hand over them to flush, it seemed people didn't realize this. Not the hotel's fault of course, but a little tip for you to be courteous for the next person.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your comments regarding the parking and wanted you to know that we are competitive with all the full-service hotels in downtown.
I also understand your comments about the Internet. We are required by Marriott to follow their pricing guidelines so there is consistency within the brand. To give our guests an option we offer complimentary wireless in the lobby and restaurants.
Again, it was our pleasure to have you with us, and we hope to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

This was a beautiful hotel with friendly and helpful staff. My only negative is that it wasn't very kid friendly. The pool was small and super hot in the room not the water. Also in the bathrooms inthe pool area u had to have ur key to get OUT of the bathroom????
We have stayed in the JW in DC and on Marco Island Florida...both of which were very kid friendly.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry the service levels were not up to par. We always try to provide our guests with an excellent experience, and I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations.
I will speak to my Director of Engineering regarding the room temperature in the pool area. We do have a lock on the bathroom door heading to the pool as a safety precaution for young children.
Again, it was our pleasure to have you with us, and I do hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I'm pretty bummed out that I didn't have the same experience as the first. My first review was over the top A++. But it didn't even feel like the same hotel. Well, same hotel, definitely different management. The first time it felt like I was at Disney, people were greeting me everywhere I went, everyone was smiling, basically kissing my butt. Everyone was on top of their game. This time, the staff could have cared less that I was there. When I pulled into the valet area they weren't even paying attention, no direction at all. The girl at the front desk took care of me but she seemed a little lost and just didn't seem like she wanted to be there. The hostesses were more into talking to each other than seeing if I needed a table. The waiter was the only one that gave us great service. The lobby was very dirty on the 1st floor and 2nd floor. Very dusty, trash laying around. Our bed was rock hard and last year it was so comfortable. We woke up after about 5 hours and couldn't take it anymore. We had to get up. Can't believe the difference a year makes!

Room Tip: If you stay on the city side the sun will wake you up. If you stay on the river side you can watch...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and I am very sorry to read that the service levels during your visit were not up to our standard. We always try to provide our guests with an excellent experience, and I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that I will share your comments with the team and we will review our training standards with them.
Again, I appreciate your feedback and hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I recently stayed at the JW Indianapolis for a weekend conference. The rooms are very nice, and the views of the city are excellent. The hours for the pool and fitness center are great. There are many options for dining nearby, although many of them are chain restaurants. The decor is generally very nice, although the busy pattern on the carpet is a little much. The bellhops are very eager to help. We found the housekeeping to be a little lacking, however. My daughter found empty water bottles under the bed, and my husband's towel smelled of mildew. There are no refrigerators or microwaves in the rooms. There are no ice machines on the floors--you have to go down to the first floor to get ice. Parking was expensive and far away from our room, and valet parking was even more expensive. They also charge a large daily fee for internet service which seems excessive to me. We were not allowed to extend our checkout time at all, but instead were asked to check out before the conference was over, which I found rather inhospitable of them. Not sure that I would go back again, especially if I had to pay the regular rate.

Room Tip: All the rooms on higher floors have good views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelingCircus1

Thank you for your post. I was very sorry to see that we did not meet your expectations with regards to your experience here at the JW Marriott. Please be assured that I will share your comments with the team so that we can correct any issues.
Currently refrigerators and microwaves are not part of the JW brand standard; however, we do have several units on property and would be happy to bring one to your room upon request.
I understand your comments about the Internet and wanted you to know that we are required by Marriott to follow their pricing guidelines so there is consistency within the brand. Currently Marriott does require a fee at their full-service properties. To give our guests an option, we offer complimentary wireless in the lobby and restaurants.
Lastly, I want to personally apologize that we were not able to grant you a late check-out. We always try to provide our guests with excellent service and I'm sorry we did not achieve this for you. It is my hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

This hotel was beautiful outside. I had very high expectations before arriving here. I have stayed in other JW around the US. Like I said hotel beautiful, but on arrival room requested was not granted was given another room. Hotel staff said they would move us to requested room the next day. Nope, we were NEVER moved. That room was ok, the closets are nonexistent. I need them, we stayed here a week. The shower was handicap accessible, I am not handicap. When we would take a shower the bathroom floor would get soaked. We almost fell multiple times. The maid staff never once "cleaned" our room. When she would come at 4:00 p.m. she would give us new towels and make the bed.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback, and I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that I will review your comments with my team and we will take the necessary steps to correct any issues. I would very much like to speak with you regarding your visit. At your convenience, please contact me at 317-860-4911. I would be most grateful. We value your business and want you to be completely happy with your stay.
Again, I am sorry for the problems you incurred and hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our service.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Beautiful hotel, very unexpected. Impressive architecture makes this building easily recognizable from the highway and in downtown. Floor to ceiling windows make for spectacular scenery overlooking the city, zoo, parks and river. Room service was prompt and the portions were generous. Easy to run in the trails across the hotel or to work out. The fitness center is rather impressive - better than many small town gyms!
Unfortunately, my hotel room smelled of strong body odor upon entering the doorway. It was also very noisy- there was a summer fest at the park across the river and could be heard in my room on the 25th floor. In the morning, I was unable to take a shower before leaving for the airport because there was no hot water despite running the sink and shower for 5 minutes (wasting water!). Parking a bit of a cramped nightmare.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies for the problems you incurred during your visit. This is not typical of our hotel.
It is my hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our service and facility. I am sure you will find your past experience to be the exception.