“Few Complaints and Lots of Compliments for a Large Convention Hotel”

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #7 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Few Complaints and Lots of Compliments for a Large Convention Hotel”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

After a glowing review of another favorite Indianapolis property...many people suggested I try the JW Marriott. So on this latest trip to Indy...I did just that. Initial impressions are very important and I wasn't disappointed. I was very pleased with my greeting. The valet was very quick and friendly. What really was special was being greeted at the front door and then escorted to the individual reception desks where the same greeter seamlessly checked me in. Well done! I had reserved the concierge floor with access to the lounge as had been recommended on this site.
Let's get it out of the way that I'm not always a fan of such large properties with endless hallways connected to convention centers. My business trips don't revolve around large group meetings. But if you were here for that purpose, it would be a very comfortable, place to stay. And my rating reflects this.
The rooms were very attractive, not huge with good lighting and a very comfortable bed. A modern, well equipped but modest sized bathroom...all a bit surprising considering they had quite a bit of unused space in the main part of the room. . Perhaps space for a rollaway near the floor to ceiling windows or multiple suitcases by the closet. I think I could have done a better job laying out the space....a sofa instead of the one chair perhaps. Again.....it’s a convention property which I would imagine caters to single travelers. There goes my rollaway idea.
The lounge was a winner with a few critiques. I would come back to the hotel just for Kiya and Lauren . They were friendly and gracious and took care of each guest with warm hospitality. Now if they could only do something about the cafeteria lighting and the lack of complimentary wine or beer. Perhaps I'm confusing the JW Marriott concierge floor with a Ritz Carlton concierge floor. I just don't recall wine being 7 dollars a glass. (Thank you for the generous pours ladies) The food preparations were very nicely presented (think Beef Wellington Puffs in chafing dishes or Cous Cous bites on a ceramic spoon) with a nice variety. Even more reason the charge for wine seemed out of place.
The workout facilities are the equivalent of a big city gym. A +. Another reason to come back.
The Lobby bar...even back late from an outstanding dinner at nearby Bluebeard, was packed! Bottom line.....even if I would choose a smaller property next time...the JW Marriott is doing something right!

Room Tip: City Views through the floor to ceiling windows are very good at night.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Renztem13
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for your great feedback. I truly appreciate your kind words about Kiya and Lauren and I will share your kudos with them. I do understand your comment about the wine and beer in the Executive Lounge and wanted you to know that it is against state law for us to give away alcohol. Again, it was a pleasure having you with us, and we hope to welcome you back when you are in Indy. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (695)
  • Korean first
Exeter, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed here over the Christmas holiday and we had a wonderful time! I cannot say enough about the staff. They were so kind and friendly, they took care of all our needs and at times went above and beyond what I would expect from hotel staff. We stayed in a king bed room on the concierge floor, (24th), and our room was very large and had a beautiful bathroom which had a very modern shower. The room was perfect, great views of the river. Every morning they have a buffet breakfast, which was great and the staff was once again, excellent. We also ate in the Velocity restaurant a few times while we were there and really enjoyed it. Velocity is a real sports fan's place, we had a tv at our table with some game playing every time we ate there! The location of the hotel is a few blocks away from the circle and most of the city's restaurants. But it is very close to the NCAA, Lucas Oil, and the Riverwalk. We highly recommend this hotel, staff is just fantastic!

Room Tip: Staying on the concierge level is a great perk!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SaiaLaw
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for staying with us here at the JW Marriott. We certainly appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Good but not great? Let me tell you why….First of all indy needed this hotel as you pull up you see this big blue grand looking hotel in a perfect location….Indoor parking good, check….Lobby good/grand/nice check….staff nice/helpful/extra helpful…check…snack room and lounge room very good...Room.. great view, but overall nice but not for the price….hotel was loaded for the colts game so they messed up our room and gave us a discount but price was still high for indiana!….if you ever stayed in a westin, the room was about the same. We are star wood members so we were giving JW a try. I was not wowed by the room at all. I was wowed by everything but the room, so thats why not the five star rating….we will stay in another JW but only when a deal is available if there ever is one. Didn't get to see pool, workout room etc...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Playerham42
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you for your comments and I appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your visit. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations with regards to the actual room. We do have a great fitness room if you ever return.
With regards to price, we often run specials throughout the year. They can be found on our website. I do hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our facility. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Went on a recent business convention, spending several nights. From check-in to out, this experience was truly suberb. The staff was very friendly with a very high sense of urgency. A 4 hour power outage due to a severe winter storm with sub zero temps was handled suberbly by the hotel, and every request was met with enthusiasm. Facilities were outstanding. Manager saw me circling the closed starbucks when power out and got me a nice coffee. Every point of contact was positive including concierge help pre-visit. Pronto staff friendly and caring. This hotel takes customer service seriously. Best Marriott experience bar none. Clone it please Marriott!!

Room Tip: conciefge facing city very nice view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Salvincent
Thank you for your great feedback. I appreciate your understanding regarding the power outage, and I'm glad to see that the staff handled everything so professionally. Be assured that I will share your comments with my team, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Just completed a stay the the J W Marriott and the hotel was great. Staff was more than helpful and so were the ladies at the High Velocity Lounge. Katy and Brooke were working the bar with ease and treated us great with all of our needs. The conversation from these ladies is what a lounge needs and they knew how to handle themselves. I would stay at the hotel again just to have a drink with these ladies working.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lucky0072014
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your great feedback. I appreciate your kind comments about Katy and Brooke. They are assets to our team, and I will share your kudos with them. Again, it was our pleasure to have you with us, and we'll be looking forward to your return. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed one night as a fun, family outing the day after Christmas. The hotel was very empty and we loved it! The staff was incredibly helpful and nice, and made it a really great experience for all of us. We had two rooms on the 27th floor, one on each side of the building, and both views were outstanding. We watched the sunset over the White River State Park from one room, and woke up to a beautiful sunrise over the city that we could view from our cozy bed. The floor to ceiling windows are definitely a highlight for us. We had one room with a king and one with two queens, both were spacious and very clean. My son swam in the indoor pool and we enjoyed the extra large hot tub. My daughters and I wanted to shop, so we walked to the mall by way of the skywalk. It was easy and fun, and allowed us to walk indoors the entire way on what was a very cold day. We all enjoyed dinner and drinks in the High Velocity sports bar where the staff took very good care of us and the food was delicious. The fitness room is top notch, with cardio machines overlooking the museums across the street. There is plenty of room for any type of workout. We spent time in the executive lounge in the lobby, late into the evening, just hanging out and playing cards. It was relaxed and comfortable, just what we needed after the holiday hustle and bustle. In the morning we ate at the breakfast buffet and it was one of the best we have ever had. I would definitely go to brunch there again. Delicious! We are thinking of making this an annual trip!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the top. The views are beautiful on both sides!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank nchiquet
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for your great comments. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and I do hope we become part of your family tradition. Again, we appreciate your visit and we'll look forward to your return. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Get in the lounge. Plain and simple. The staff in the lounge are very professional and want to be there. They are very welcoming. The breakfast in the morning is fantastic and the food at night is almost dinner worthy. There are non-alcoholic drinks for free, but alcoholic drinks cost. Primarily granola bars, fruit, and cookies are available during the day. The food for 'dinner' is different every day. Look at the times that they are open in my picture that is attached. After the 'dinner,' there is dessert, which is pretty good as well. Some lounges strongly discourage people from taking food out of the lounge, such as a bottle of water. This lounge is laid back, which is nice if you just want a bottle of water for later.

I noticed that there were no pictures of the hot tub or pool on the hotel's website, so see my pics. The hot tub / pool were very nice. They were next to the gym, which is also very nice. If you forget your ear buds, they have a few spare.

The entire staff were very friendly and professional. I was surprisingly impressed. The rooms were larger than normal and clean. This hotel is very close to the Colts football stadium and is connected to a full enclosed passage way system to get you to the mall and convention center without going outside. I assume this was designed for when it is cold in Indy. Very convenient. They hotel was built for the Superbowl a few years ago. There are other hotels to stay at in Indy, but I would only return to this hotel. I think 1004 rooms in the hotel. When we checked in, 900 people just checked out. Wow!

Parking is $30 a night. Accept it and move on. People complain about the internet. This is not specific to this hotel. It is an industry issue. If you want to use it, understand that it costs, pay it and move on. Well done JW Marriott Indy!

Room Tip: Get a room looking at the city (an odd numbered room)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jgallag
Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated. We hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager