“One of the best in Downtown Indy”

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #8 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I often stay in Downtown Indy on business (more than a dozen times/year). I've lodged at many of the hotels in and around the convention center, and the JW is the best! Why you ask? It begins with the excellent service at reception, continues on to the the well-appointed rooms, the spacious fitness center, and ends with the outstanding dining venues. All of the JW staff, from reception to housekeeping to the bartenders and waitstaff in the High Velocity or Osterio Pronto, are very hospitable and the latter are knowledgeable about their tasty food and drink. The beds in the rooms are clean and comfortable, the showers amazing, and the fitness center has lots of treadmills, elliptical riders, weight machines and free weights. Did I mention the pool and spacious locker room? Overall a great facility with amazing staff and close enough to walk to everything in Downtown Indy.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views of either the city (east) or White River State Park (west)
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

We certainly enjoy having you as our guest, and we'll look forward to your next visit. Scott Blalock, General Manager

There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Indianapolis

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Our stay was on New Year's Eve and it was wonderful! There really wasn't anything special but we sure loved the place! It was clean, immaculate and everyone was enjoying their stay. The food at the Italian restaurant right there at the hotel was excellent. Our waitress was attentive, pleasant and did a great job serving us!
The room was clean and spacey.
The concierge was great-maybe not as eloquent as we expected but nevertheless really good. We were late so did not receive the appetizers but the desserts were wonderful!
Breakfast the next morning was great-alot of fruit, juices, and wonderful pastries. The eggs were great-alot of different cheeses and coffees.
We really enjoyed this place-and the shopping mall only a few blocks away-was accessible by walking through a walkway inside! Great!
We loved the fitness center-almost a taste of the caribbean-alot of variety! We were able to get late check out due to new year's eve special so that was really nice!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us over New Year's Eve. I'm glad to see you enjoyed your visit, and we'll look forward to your return. Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2014! Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My daughter joined me for my conference at JW. We both had a great time. Great location, worked for a very large group, and still had nice spaces for my daughter to enjoy while I was working. Nice people and great food. I would love to return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

It was a pleasure having you with us here at the JW, and I'm glad you and your daughter enjoyed your visit. We hope to welcome you back in the future. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I love the JW Marriott! It is clean and has a very friendly staff who are attentive and helpful. The rooms are clean and modern. The restaurants are great as well. I can't wait to come back. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

We certainly enjoyed having you with us, and hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Even though it was a rainy weekend, the JW made my husband's birthday celebration bright and happy. It started with a visitindy.com special for reduced hotel rates during the holiday season. We were able to stay at the JW for a fraction of the typical cost. The rate also included self-parking, special coupons for local events and museums, and a treat upon arrival. Then I called the hotel to place a special note on my reservation about wanting a room upgrade (due to my Marriott Reward status) and that I'd be celebrating my husband's birthday. I received a large corner room with a park view of the White River, the Indianapolis Zoo, local museums, etc. We chose an arrival treat of hot chocolate and peppermint snacks. After returning from dinner, there was a special surprise of red and white wines courtesy of the staff member that checked us in (Thanks JB!). Due to the holidays, the concierge lounge wasn't open during its typical times so we received vouchers for appetizers and the breakfast buffet. Everyone was friendly, helpful, and clearly wanted us to have the best stay possible. Mission accomplished!

Room Tip: If you have access to the concierge lounge, stay on floors 23-33. Otherwise, you'll have to swit...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

I wanted to thank you for your great feedback, and I'm so happy to see that the staff stepped up to make your husband's birthday a memorable occasion. We will look forward to your next visit. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I was horribly disappointed in this hotel. I've been in the lobby many times and eaten in the restaurants, but I always stayed at the adjoining Fairfield Inn. In early December, due to sold-out events that resulted in sold-out hotels, I paid a whopping $389 for 1 night in the JW Marriott.

Let me be fair first - my room was GORGEOUS. It was a corner-king on the 28th floor. Two sides of the room were floor-to-ceiling windows and I could sit in the bed and look out at the city from my beautiful room. That was great. The room was spotless; the bathroom was roomy and clean and the work-desk is amazing. It's huge, with a big pull-out laptop table and plugs everywhere. I had plugs for my phone, my computer - and plugs to spare! The room design is very well conceived and executed. I was highly impressed. I spend 50-80 nights per year in hotels, and this room design tops the list.

Now - to the bad.
1) $14.95 for internet. Are you kidding me? With tax, my room was over $450.
2) TEMPERATURE CONTROL. The worst ever. JW Marriott opted to install thermostats that are simply ridiculous. The user basically has no control over room temperature. You don't even have the option to turn the unit off, and you have no control over fan speed. I wanted my room to be cold. It was December and very cold outside, so I would have been fine to just turn the unit off and enjoy the room as it was. But no - for $389/night, you are not allowed to have temperature control. What's worse, this "smart unit" kept trying to outsmart me. I tried turning the temperature button down. I tried to set the temperature at 60 degrees, which I hoped would keep the heat off. That's all I wanted - I just wanted no heating. So, this "smart thermostat" automatically switches to "cooling" because the room was 72 degrees and it turned on the A/C to cool the room. The minimum temperature in A/C mode is 66 degrees. So, it cools the room and, when it hits 66 degrees, it then automatically flips back to heating to return the room back up to 70. I spent the whole night - literally, all night long, with no sleep as I tried to fight the system so that it was not baking me.

What a stupid system. At least give the user the option to flip the switch from cool to heat. All I wanted was to be allowed to set the room temperature to 60 so that I could sleep. This "energy efficient" system, instead of just shutting off and staying off, instead turned on and off the air conditioning and the heating all night long, forcing me into an absolutely horrible and miserable night. In all my hotel stays all over the world, including third world countries, I have never seen such a stupid, idiotic and inefficient thermostat system. To take away the user option to decide how warm or cold the room should be is one of the great violations of basic hotel sense that I have ever experienced. If this is what JW Marriott thinks is "green", then shame, shame, shame. It's muddy-green. It's stupid and it used 10-15 times more energy than my simple desire to just not have the unit operate would have used.

It's enough to have me abandon Marriott as a chain. I'm a Hilton Honors loyalist and now, after this ridiculous experience, I'll go back to Hilton. Too bad - pretty on the outside, but if you don't allow your guests to get a decent night sleep in a room with a temperature that's desirable to them, all else becomes irrelevant.

Room Tip: if you care about temperature control, don't pick this hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent visit. I appreciate your feedback and will share this with my team. Regarding the Internet, I understand your comments and wanted you to know that we are required by Marriott to follow their standards so there is consistency within the brand. Currently they do have a fee at their full-service properties. To give our guests an option, we offer complimentary wireless in the lobby and restaurants.
I was also sorry to ready how frustrated you were with the HVAC unit. Although some guests like the "green" option, I understand how it could be aggravating. If you do return to our property, please let us know and our engineering team can override the system to give you the control you desire. Again, we appreciate your visit and hope that one day you will give us a chance to regain your confidence. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed December 24, 2013

The place was fantastic, rooms were very nice and clean, nice pool and spa. Fitness room was very well put together, you don't even see these nice of workout rooms at a fitness club. The food was very good. The staff at the restaurants were very nice and helpful, I would rate the resturants 5 stars as well. The only downfall is no free internet or happy hour with paying these prices for a hotel room. There is internet in the lobby and restaurants but still it sorta sucks who wants to pay 14 bucks for internet a day. Overall the place is fantastic and I plan on staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great comments. I was glad to see you enjoyed your visit and I understand your comments about the Internet. We are required by Marriott to follow their standards so there is consistency within the brand. Currently they do have a fee at their full-service properties. Be assured that when the policy changes, we will change it here at the property level. Scott Blalock, General Manager