“Outstanding hotel!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Outstanding hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip and found it to be an outstanding hotel. It is centrally located to downtown, the convention center, shopping, and also the stadium. It being brand new, it's incredibly clean, and the decor is very modern, with the rooms very well furnished. WiFi was free (though it may have been free as part of the room block for this conference).

The hotel is huge, and during major events it can feel crowded. However, I found the rooms to be very quiet and did not hear any noise from the hallway or neighboring rooms. I used the gym and was pleased to find it really well equipped, with a lot of equipment, so there was no waiting at all.

Most of all, the service was really what set this place apart. Even though I had no major issues and didn't need special help with anything, everyone I encountered was incredibly helpful and seemed willing to make the extra effort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience here at the JW Marriott. We certainly appreciate your feedback, and I'm pleased we took great care of you. We hope to welcome you back in the future. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Korean first
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Hosted a golf tournament in Indy and used this as the host hotel. A great value for the level of elegance and service. They have a hospitality room floor, HOWEVER, the hotel has quiet hours at 9 pm. They actually placed a baby in a room directly across from our suite. This was not ideal.

Without going into too much detail, within 18 hours, we had been moved to a much more appropriate environment for our group and it was IDEAL and no cost to us. I applaud their flexibility.

Food was great. Plenty of options and convenient to the convention center. I would not hesitate to stay here upon my return to Indy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
We would love to welcome you back. I was glad to see that you were moved and your hospitality suite was ideal. Thank you again for your feedback. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I chose to stay at the JW for our wedding night and I have to say, I am incredibly impressed. While hotel parking in downtown Indianapolis is fairly expensive, the JW's valet option was only $6 more than self park, so we chose to take advantage of it. We went straight to the hotel after our reception, so I was still in my wedding gown and he in his tux. After checking in, the gentleman at the front desk told us that in appreciation for us choosing them for our wedding night they had given us a room with a city view on the executive level on the 31st floor with access to the executive lounge. Now, I'm not sure if anything special was really done or if they give that to anyone - but the acknowledgment was really nice! We stayed in room 3109 and the view was amazing. We are both from Indianapolis, but seeing it that high up at night was really a neat sight. The bed was very comfortable, the room was very very nice, the bathroom huge with a huge glass walk in shower with body jets and a rainfall showerhead. We were advised that night that valet pick up would be about 40 minutes the next day. When we dropped off our ticket we were told 30 minutes, but by the time we ordered coffee and something to eat from Starbucks our truck was already pulled up.

I was greatly impressed with the service and the decor. The plan is to stay here again on our one year anniversary.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I was glad to see you enjoyed your visit, and we hope to welcome you back on your first anniversary (if not before). From all of us at the JW Marriott, congratulations and best wishes on many happy years together. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Iowa City, IA, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I just spent six days at the Marriott in Indianapolis and in a word "WOW!" From being met curbside, to the minute you walk in the entire staff truly knows what the word SERVICE means. I am an officer in an organization that just had their annual meeting there and I can tell you our every need was met. Rooms are clean, housekeeping staff excellent and BTW it is a green hotel with places everywhere to put your bottles/ cans/ paper to recycle. BRAVO for that. But I guess the truth is would I suggest that you stay there or that you have a meeting at that hotel? In a word ABSOLUTELY! Oh and get a room on the upper floors the views are amazing.

Green Features: This is a green hotel and it's wonderful there are recycle containers everywhere so you can recycle cans/ bottles and papers.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
I appreciate your kind words, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is one of Marriott's flagship hotels for good reason. The service is impeccable, Rooms are very nice, Meeting space is well done and is well maintained. The staff is attentive and made things go smoothly, both restaurants have good food and good service.

Room Tip: Use the valet, it is worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
I'm glad that we took great care of you, and I hope you will continue to use our facility whenever you are in the area. Scott Blalock, General Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is our third year staying at the JW Marriott. We stay the night before participating in the Buddy Walk and each year we have a wonderful, restful evening. From the bell staff to the front desk staff, everyone is always very polite and welcoming. The room is clean, comfortable, and quiet. I highly recommend spending the extra $20 for your room that includes a buffet breakfast for two adults and two children. It is a great value and there is a nice variety of things to choose from. The hotel is conveniently located and no matter where your room is located you will have a beautiful view of either downtown or the state park. Weekend room rates are a little pricey but comparable to hotels in other large cities. All in all, a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We always request a room without down due to allergies and the hotel always complies.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank suburbs02
It is always a pleasure to welcome you back to the JW Marriott! I appreciate your comments, and we'll be looking forward to your next visit. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Sonoma, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I came to visit friends and family in Indianapolis. JW Marriott opened right when I was moving away from Indy, so I decided to stay. Little did I know I had booked my trip during a major college sports event. When I arrived at the hotel it was late and everyone was attentive. The staff was lovely and very friendly through most of my four night stay. However, the swarm of families and children at the hotel made this feel more like a Holiday Inn than a JW Marriott. And the staff - again, very friendly (except one seemingly grumpy young woman who made me a cappuccino in the beautiful lobby bar) - seemed overwhelmed. I hate when I walk into a hotel and there are tons of people and tons of luggage being "held" in the lobby, and that's what this place was for the majority of the weekend.

liked:

-awesome shower
-nice views (I had a corner room on the 27th view that overlooked the river, nice sunset)
-lovely staff
-two bar options and lots of seating (and types of seating, couches, booths, stools, etc)
-free bottled water in your room
-delicious chicken fingers from the sports bar, ha!

dislikes:
-no mini bar. Big hotel, I get that the capacity for a mini bar isn't high, but, I like the convenience.
-no spa (I had to go to the Conrad)
-I had an appointment and called to have my car pulled around. The valets pulled my car around, and I sat in my car for 5-7 minutes waiting because they lost my keys. !?!?!
-too many TV's. I've never been in a building with so many TV's.
-cleaning services were just "OK" I'd often find things unattended that I would expect cleaned. I even tip, and was surprised by this. I was not provided complimentary water on my last night stay.
-I also had to request a robe. I had accidentally left mine on the floor my first night, and they must have collected it with my towels, but I had to request a robe, it was never replenished.
-having to pay for internet in your room. this is the 21st century, let's fix that. or, at least give club members free internet.

I figure though, that if I came any other time, and not during an unexpected sporting event, I probably would have felt the type of experience I expect out of the higher end Marriott label. I was told by a staff member that this was the largest of all the JW's until the Dubai location was built - and that makes sense, it's a massive place. Sadly I did not take advantage of the pool or work out area, the swarm of children made it particularly unappealing.

But, I'm a single woman traveler who likes her peace and quiet, and generally finds it at luxury hotels like this. So, note to self: next time I visit Indy look at the city event schedule and book accordingly.

Room Tip: High floor, away from elevator, I paid an extra $20 a night for a corner room with lovely big window...
Green Features: Glad to see recycling anywhere in Indianapolis, a city not known for it's eco practices (I came from California, so I expect this anymore). Glad no smoking inside!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your visit and your constructive feedback. Be assured that I have shared your comments with my team, and we will take steps to correct our shortcomings. I do understand your comments about the Internet fee and wanted you to know that we are required by Marriott to follow their standards so there is consistency within the brand. Currently Marriott does have a fee at their full-service properties. To give our guests an option, we offer complimentary wireless in the lobby and restaurants. Again, we appreciate your visit, and hope to welcome you back in the future. Scott Blalock, General Manager