“Better than expected”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bethlehem, PA
“Better than expected”
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I have a somewhat jaded opinion of the JW Marriott brand. I stayed at one in Washington DC and it was a total disappointment. I complained so much I got 120,000 reward points credited back. The experience in Indiana was top notch. What a well managed hotel. Incredible. I tried to check in early but my room wasn't available. To my surprise they upgraded me to the concierge level. The lounge had wonderful food and drink served from morning until night. My room was spacious and had great amenities. I noticed the rug was damp in front of the air conditioning unit. I told housekeeping the following morning and left the room. I thought it would dry out but it continually got worse. One night I was on the tv menu and filled out the guest survey. I gave them the lowest mark for room cleanliness because by this time the carpet was soaking wet and making unpleasant sounds when I walked. Within 15 minutes of finishing the survey the manager in duty called to see what the problem was . He offered me a new room and I told him it was okay because I was checking out very early the next day. Well, he insisted and really wanted to see the problem himself. They were great. I had a room service order waiting to be delivered and he took care of everything. He was so upset to see the carpet he graciously comped the room, the room service and apologized at least a dozen times. It was surprising to see such a dedicated individual trying to go above and beyond for the customer. A not so great experience turned into an exceptional stay. Way to go Christian!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank hsb424
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
I was glad to see that you enjoyed your visit here in Indianapolis. I do want to apologize for the problem you experienced with the wet carpeting by the a/c unit, and can assure you that I have spoken to my Director of Engineering and Director of Housekeeping in this regard. We will take steps to correct this issue. I was glad Christian took a personal interest in your stay, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Korean first
Avon, Indiana
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Like the upscale feel of the hotel and friendly staff. Very close to everything down town so it's a great place to stay if you're attending a sporting event or a concert etc. food and things to do are all close.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for your comments and I was glad to see you enjoyed your visit. We hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was a great location for the conference that I attended; the hotel has an imposing blue glass color and is very identifiable from the drive into downtown. The staff at check-in were very polite, and expedited the process. I found the rooms to be spacious and the beds comfortable, as always at Marriott's. The TV was particularly excellent (quality, HD). My only quibble would be that the rooms didn't have a stand-alone shower, but it was in the tub. The lobby of the hotel was particularly open and the restaurants were at either end of it rather than having to locate them in different parts of the hotel. Highly recommended

Room Tip: A view over the baseball stadium during the minor league season is probably attractive!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your post, and I'm glad you enjoyed your conference here at the JW. If you return, I wanted you to know that our king rooms have stand-up showers and the queen rooms have a tub shower combination. We'll look forward to your next visit. Scott Blalock, General Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hotel and the staff were wonderful. The staff made my experience very pleasant and they made me feel at home. The staff is very courteous and friendly. I really liked that after checking in I was walked to the elevator with one of the staff who told me a little about the hotel and the city and that made me feel very comfortable.The rooms are decorated very modern and the views from this hotel is magnificent. I had a view of the baseball park from my room and I was able to watch a baseball game that was in progress. I also liked that you were not able to access any room floors from the elevator without your room key. Overall, my stay was very pleasant and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for your great feedback. We enjoyed having you with us, and hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Although we live in the area I used Marriott rewards for a weekend stay at the new JW. was very impressed with the hotel. Incredible addition to downtown Indy. Loved the bar area me had dinner in the Italian restaurant. Great views of the city. Will stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
It was a pleasure having you with us, and we hope you return soon for another "staycation". Scott Blalock, General Manager
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Apparently this is one of the largest JW Marriott hotels in the world, yet you still recieve top notch service that generally is only experienced at small, boutique hotels. On arrival I was met by a friendly Marriott employee who helped me with my bags and opened doors for me and answered all of my questions with "my pleasure." The front desk staff quickly accomodated my desire to stay on a high floor facing the downtown skyline. And all of the restaurants were staffed by friendly and attentive staff. Beyond the great service, the room and overall facility is very nice. My room was actually on the "end" and had a panaromic view of both downtown and a large park, zoo, etc. And you can walk to everything from this hotel - just an ideal location. You will not want to leave this hotel!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are virtually all glass and have amazing views of both the downtown skyline and the Par...
Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lou C
It was a pleasure having you with us, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Gwynn Oak, Maryland, United States
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I'm currently in my hotel room as I'm typing this. This hotel is incredible. I joined my husband on his business trip to Indianapolis and I have to say that this hotel is top notch. The rooms are immaculate. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The restaurants are a culinary delight. I especially love how the your room card has to be used in order to access any floors with rooms. The exercise area was wonderful with amazing views of the city. I would definitely stay here again. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Indianapolis. They're the best.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you and it's a pleasure to have you and your husband with us. We hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager