“Very Nice”

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #7 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I would totally recommend this hotel to others. It was clean, well decorated, and the service was wonderful. We were there at a conference for 5 days and we never got a negative attitude from anyone that worked there. They have car rental and restaurants on property and has a cross walk to the mall. The only draw back for me is that the rooms do not have fridges or microwaves. I did see a community microwave on the 2 floor where the ice is.

Room Tip: I had a corner room on the 19th floor. They had two big windows with a wonderful view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for your post, and I'm glad to see that the staff took great care of you. I appreciate your comments regarding having refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms. Currently this is not a standard for the JW brand. We do try to keep some on hand and they are delivered on a first come, first serve basis.
Again, thank you for your patronage, and we hope to welcome you back to the JW Marriott. Scott Blalock, General Manager

There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Indianapolis

Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with very comfortable beds. That being said I would expect nothing less for the price we paid. The problem was we got a lot less...... with all the amenities listed I really thought a refrigerator and microwave would have been included. Not the case! I couldn't believe it. I don't know if I've ever stayed at a hotel that didn't have a refrigerator & microwave. I like to keep my soda cold and always have micro popcorn in the evening. This is what I would consider a luxury hotel, when I found out there was no micro etc. I asked for one and they said there was none available! REALLY!!! Also, to pay for parking by the day was ridiculous. We stayed for 3 days which was $90 just for parking our car in the lot. We never even left the lot. That is why I would never again stay at a JW Marriott!!!

Room Tip: Evidently all rooms do not have a refrigerator and microwave so if you want one, ask before you get...
Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your feedback and understand your comments. Currently in the JW brand, they do not have refrigerators or microwaves in the rooms. We do have several on hand and deliver them on a first come, first serve basis.
I also appreciate your comments about the parking. We are comparable to the full-service properties in downtown Indy, but I do realize it is expensive.
Thank you again for your feedback and hopefully one day you will give us a chance to regain your confidence. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Customer service and cleanlyness supreme. Expensive yes, but you expect it here. An awsome new addition to Indy. Great food and perfect meeting facilities. If your springing for a special occasion you won't be disappointed. Close to many activities. The ball diamond and the zoo.

• Stayed: August 2013
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

We appreciate your great feedback, and hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Very central, confy, elegant. We loved the architecture of the building, maybe a new landmark in Indy.
From high floors amazing views either of the city or the park. we were here during the Nascar and there was cars on show outside the lobby.
Very nice staff.

Room Tip: high floors
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. We enjoyed having you with us over the Brickyard 400 weekend, and we hope to welcome you back in the future. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We took the opportunity to stay at the JW Marriott when we were in town for GenCon 2013. The beds are incredibly comfortable, the in-room coffee, tea, and cookies are excellent as are the toiletries. We were thoroughly impressed with the speed and ease of check in, the response from every staff member we ever dealt with, and the genuine hospitality of the facility. Lots of positives about this hotel and we enjoyed our stay, but we won't be back to stay when we visit Indianapolis again and unless someone else is paying for your trip, we wouldn't recommend you stay here either.

Now, the reason we won't be back to the JW Marriott has nothing to do with the service and everything to do with price. We knew going in to the convention that we had selected the most expensive accommodations available in the downtown area and we were okay with that, but once we realized that wifi was not considered a standard amenity and came at a price of $14.95 a day, our enthusiasm waned every so slightly.

We are of the belief that you get what you pay for, but the exorbitant charge for internet access in your room (there is free wifi available in the lobby and in the bar area of the second floor in two hour increments) is not what we have come to expect from excellent hotels. We could accept paying the $35.00 a day valet parking fee (common in many large urban centres) and the slightly higher snack prices (this isn't a grocery or convenience store), but the internet is not something we have ever paid for anywhere else.

So, moral of the story, we will vote with our feet and spend our money in another establishment. As I stated earlier, if you aren't paying your own bill or the internet is not something you need for your stay, then this hotel is luxurious and comfortable with lots of great perks.

High Velocity, the sports bar / restaurant is awesome! Check my separate review if you want more information about it. Not a real fan of Osteria, Pronto, the Italian restaurant on site, but you can't love everything (also a separate review if you want to hear my thoughts).

I forgot to mention that the pool is easily accessible with a lift chair for assistance for those who may need it. We loved the 'ice station' which allowed us to fill up our ice on the way to our room (they have ice bags available with the ice machines located between the two banks of elevators) and it meant that there were no rooms stuck near noisy ice machines or over indulgent guests who wanted more ice for their drinks. The only odd things we encountered were the 'dedicated' elevators that would not accept a floor number without a key card swipe (I get it, but when people jumped into the elevator last second, it sucked to 'make' the elevator, but be unable to select your floor because the elevator wouldn't accept a floor selection once it had started to close its doors). We did enjoy how fast the elevators are. The other odd thing was that we didn't notice we had a recycling basket (the basket was turned symbol side in so we didn't see the symbol until the final night of our stay) and we filled it with garbage which was not emptied even when we moved it out into the middle of the room.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback. I understand your comments about the Internet and wanted you to know that we are required by Marriott to follow their standards so there is consistency within the brand. Currently they do have a fee at their full-service properties. Be assured that when this policy is changed, we will change it here at the property level.
I also wanted to apologize that the recycle container was not clearly showing, and our housekeeping team missed picking up the trash in your room. I will speak to my Director of Housekeeping in this regard, and we will take the necessary steps to correct our shortcomings. Again, it was our pleasure having you with us, and hopefully one day we will have the chance to regain your confidence. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Hotel is beautiful, and in a great part of downtown. Lots of restaurants within walking distance.
My only negative thing that I have to say about this hotel is that they forgot my wake up call in the morning. I was compensated with some reward points for this mishap. I will definitely stay here again when I come back to town.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us here at the JW Marriott and for your feedback. I do want to apologize for the fact that your wake-up call was missed, and I can assure you that we will take the necessary steps to see that this does not happen in the future. Thank you again for your comments, and we will be looking forward to your return. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

My king room was spacious and very clean. Nice big shower with wall jets. Complementary bottles of water in the room. But, i really dislike paying extra fro wifi, especially $14.95 a day. Food at hotel meetings was very good. $30-33 ride from airport for one person (plus tip). Taxis take debit/credit cards in Indianapolis. Within walking distance to some restaurants and a short walk to state Capitol. Efficient front desk service and speedy elevators!

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I understand your comment regarding the Internet and wanted you to know that we are required by Marriott to follow their standards so there is consistency within the brand. Currently they do require a fee at their full-service properties. To give our guests an option, we offer complimentary wireless in the lobby and restaurants. Again, it was our pleasure to have you with us, and we hope to welcome you back in the future. Scott Blalock, General Manager