“When you expect GREAT, Good is not Good Enough”

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #4 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent a night at the JW Marriott in Indianapolis. We chose the hotel after reading the reviews and they are pretty much "right on".

This is billed as an upscale hotel and while it is very nice there is very little "wow" factor here. Nice clean rooms, Nice everything... (our tea / coffee service area could have used a good "once over with a cleaning cloth, but it was a minor thing).

Ice for your room is on the 2nd floor. So we were on the 22nd floor and this was not very convenient.

The charge for valet parking was $35 which is very expensive in my book. The price for internet was about $13 where it is include in your room price most places. So be prepared to pay for the "extras".

As with many hotels in downtown Indy, there is a walkway that connects hotels, convention center and Lucas Oil Statium. In the winter you don't have to go outside for much if you do not want to.

I hope this helped you! Good travels.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank davidphoto574
Scott B, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent post. I'm sorry we did not deliver a great experience for you. My team and I have discussed your comments and it reminds us that we have to deliver at a high level for all guests in all areas of the hotel. Regarding the parking price, we are priced in line with other full service hotel in downtown Indianapolis. Per the Marriott brand, there are internet charges in guest rooms, but we do offer it complimentary in the lobby and Starbucks.

Thank you again for your comments and if I can be of any service in the future, I can be reached at scott.blalock@marriott.com.

Scott Blalock
JW Marriott Indianapolis

Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed with my family a couple days before Christmas while going to Christmas at the Zoo. Everything we could have imagined in luxury and service. They gave us a corner room overlooking the zoo and downtown. Two entire walls of the room were windows, the kids loved it. Keep it up Marriott, you're the best. John M. Bloomington, IN

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I booked a room impromptu and stayed in a 2 Queen room with our 12 yr. old son. Upon arrival we were told that we could use the Valet Service or choose self parking in the attached garage for $28/night; we chose to self park which was actually great. Check in was very smooth; We were greeted immediately and completed the process within a few minutes. Our room was on the 19th floor and situated in the center of the building; the view was amazing of downtown Indy. The accommodations were lovely with modern furnishings; WIFI; large flat screen television, upper scale bath amenities, robe, safe, feather pillows, etc. One thing that stood out for me was that the room felt very peaceful...warm and comforting. We enjoyed the Starbucks located on the 2nd floor and the connection to the Convention Center which allowed us to navigate to Circle Centre Mall without ever stepping outdoors...on a very rainy day! That was a wonderful convenience. Loved it and would definitely choose to stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank STURGISFAMILY
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

We certainly enjoyed having you with us and appreciate your kind comments. We'll look forward to welcoming you back and best wishes for a happy 2013! Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed here as part of a group for the 2012 Indy 500 and I had a fantastic experience. Even with how many people were staying at the hotel and surrounding area, I never waited more than 5 minutes for my valeted car, there was always someone waiting in the foyer to greet you and there always seemed to be a seat available at the restaurant or lobby bar. The longest I had to wait was at Starbucks at 5 am the morning of the race! I only had one downside, and it's really for meeting planners or people planning to ship boxes to yourself at the hotel; you are charged by the weight of your packages if you ship them to yourself, so be careful!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is the largest JW Marriott in the world. Knowing this, I was expecting to be wowed by the hotel. I wasn't.

The hotel and complex is large and aesthetically pleasing, but the rooms are seriously lacking. They're just normal hotel rooms. Even as a Marriott Platinum member, we couldn't get a suite or even a corner room. Heck, we couldn't even get a room on one of the top 3 floors. I was rather disappointed to see this. I ran into a friend in the exec lounge who is a gold member and had checked in an hour prior to me and he had been upgraded. Maybe the hotel should hold some of their nicer rooms for their platinum guests instead of giving them away to the first check-ins of the day. Honestly, the room was no different than any standard Marriott room I've stayed in. The bathroom tried to be swanky, but it didn't pull it off.

The exec lounge was very nicely set-up, but the evening hors d'oeuvres didn't do anything for me. I tried a couple of their obviously heated from frozen appetizers and decided to go downstairs to their sports bar to get a decent snack. Maybe that's the point behind it, they serve subpar snacks in the lounge so that people go buy stuff from their other areas. The evening snacks were so bad that we skipped the morning breakfast. As a huge breakfast fan, it's very rare that I'll pass up on a free breakfast, but I just wasn't in the mood to be disappointed again.

We called for a late check-out and were offered noon. That's barely a late check-out at all. They reluctantly offered 12:30 as a thank you for being platinum members. Again, it just rubbed me the wrong way. The service was hit or miss. The valet team was exceptional. I don't think the $32 charge for overnight valet is overpriced... it's actually $3 less than the Conrad. But, the Conrad beats this hotel in just about every area. Their rooms are spectacular. Their lounge is phenomenal, and their service is impeccable. As a HHonors gold member, I'm frequently upgraded at the Conrad but couldn't receive anything other than a standard room as a platinum member at the JW.

Oh well, back to the Conrad for future visits.

Room Tip: If you have the option, try the Conrad. It's got a better location and is MUCH nicer.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ryan K
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Thank you for your post and please accept my sincere apologies. We dropped the ball, and I can assure you that we will take steps to correct our shortcomings. It is my hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our service. If you would like to speak to me about your experience, please call me at 469-371-2312 at your convenience. Again, our Platinum members are the backbone of our business, and we do value your patronage. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed December 15, 2012

This is a very nice hotel, with nice beds and linens. The checking staff was very helpful. I attended conference there and was impressed with set up.
I especially enjoyed the downtown location, near capital and ballpark, and many dinner choices.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank timidtravelerUs
Reviewed December 15, 2012

If you want a beautiful hotel in a great location with top-notch service this is your place! Each time I made a phone call to concierge/guest services, I was cordially assisted immediately after one ring. The food in their restaurants was tasty, beautifully displayed, and I greatly enjoyed the elegant surroundings.
I highly recommend booking a room on the concierge levels, as the lounge is usually open with generous snacks and beverages.

• Stayed: December 2012
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Thank you for your great remarks, and we'll look forward to your return. Scott Blalock, General Manager