“Great experience”

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #4 of 188 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel is by itself very impressive and modern. We decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary so we made reservations at the "Osteria Pronto" located on the hotel premises.
The Sous-Chef Angelo, (from Italy) did an outstanding job, he came to check on us a number of times and the carpaccio we ordered as appetizer was one of the best I have ever had (and we have been to Italy MANY times). The wine they recomended with our dinner (a Barolo 2005) was amazing. Our corner view room was beautiful, we found a bottle of sparkling wine on ice and a plate of fruit and chocolate, as well as a welcome card. We love the fact that you need your room key to access you floor (you'd be surprised how many so called 5 star hotels don't have that security feature). The room was clean and the bed quite comfortable. We will definitely go back soon and I would definitely reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlexPB
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

From all of us at the JW Marriott, we are honored that you shared your anniversary with us. I was glad to see that Chef Angelo made your dinner experience so special. He's an asset to our team. We hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,598)

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I hesitate to give this three stars. The JW Marriott properties are supposed to be really great. This one was just very nice. Check in was kind of chaotic. There were no lines, just airline-like stations where guests took their chances standing behind a station to see which station would open up first. The ground floor lobby is very nice, which very comfortable seating groups. There is a sports-like bar, a lobby bar, and a high-end Italian restaurant (did not visit) -- all gleaming and looking like the brand would suggest. There are several elevator banks to quickly whisk you to your floor in this blue glass high rise.

The rooms. We had a two-queen room. The beds are very comfy with excellent linens. There are floor to ceiling windows and I don't think there is a bad view from any room above the 10th floor (we were on 15 and had a view of the river and zoo). But the room was a little lacking. The entryway had what looked like linoleum tile, and my guess is that the tile is made of recycled material. Good for JW. Really. Good. The "tile" served as the entry way flooring and into the bath and also the same material continued on for the walls. If the look were upscale that would be fine. The look was beige and cheap. Plus it was ridged which is great for non-slip but very hard for housekeeping to keep looking clean. There were dark ridges of use in the more traversed areas and it just looked bad. Okay and I'm being picky but this is supposed to be upscale and their room rates reflect that. The mirror in the bathroom fogged up almost immediately upon using the shower, which was just a standard, step over into a tub. The shower head was almost impossible to get a good spray from. These are important things in a hotel room. Also, for a two-queen room, there was only one bedside table between the two beds. Again, I know these are small things, but also things that should make a stay more comfortable.

The pool area. The pool was ridiculously small for a 900+ room hotel. Weird. The whirlpool was just great -- hot 104 degree water and good jets. The work out area, which I did not use, looked very nice was new machines.

Little things. Self-parking was $28. Covered parking across the street was $18. Felt gouged. We ordered a bottle of wine and they sent a more expensive bottle than we ordered. To their credit, when I called, they checked the order, found their mistake and adjusted the bill. We ordered key lime pie, and I have to say, it was out of this world.

So overall it was a good hotel, but not a knockout. Last time we stayed at the regular Marriott a block away, and think we will go back there, or try the Hilton next time. There was just not enough "oooh" to merit coming here again.

Room Tip: Get as high a floor as you can for a good view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Karen N

Thank you for your comments, and I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations. We were built as a convention hotel and not the standard JW resort property; however, we did try to design the hotel with the JW brand in mind.
I was sorry you did not like the bathroom tile, and I will share this with our owners. The tile was purchased in Italy and sent to our property. I appreciate your comments regarding the parking and wanted you to know that we are competitive with the other full-service properties in Indianapolis.
Again, it was our pleasure having you with us, and I do hope that one day you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our service and facility. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Rising well above the Indy skyline sits a glass beauty, modern, impressive and inviting. The overall feel of the place has a lot more in common with say a W than it does it's lesser Marriott brethren. Having stayed here twice for business conferences, it is clear that this is one of the best conference hotels around. Perhaps a lot of that credit goes to the stellar ExactTarget event planning teams that put on top notch meetings, but they clearly coordinate well with the JW staff.

The rooms itself are nice, modern and many have fantastic views. They feature modern amenities and style that you typically don't see in Marriott properties. A few oddities, such as they do not have ice-makers on each floor, you have to go down to the 2nd to use them. A rather odd and annoying inconvenience.The bathrooms feel a bit dated compared with their rivals from even the Westin, with the shower being a tub & curtain deal, versus a proper shower. Feels a bit downscale for such a nice place, but everything else is solid. The beds are firm, typical of Marriott. I am not a fan but I know some like a super firm bed so it works for them.

Service is good, for a Marriott. It could be better, again not as good as less expensive Westin properties I have stayed in, but good for Marriott (which is typically poor, rude and unaccommodating in my experience).

If you are in town for business (or pleasure) I would say this is hands down the best option in town.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room so you aren't looking at the rooftop of nearby buildings. Also the park...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your kind comments about your experience here at the JW Marriott. Sorry the shower did not meet your expectations. Our king rooms have stand up showers with dual shower heads while our queen rooms have a standard tub and shower. If you have any suggestions on how we could enhance your service experience, please let me know. We value your business and want you to be completely happy with your stay. Again, it was our pleasure to host you and Exact Target, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed October 16, 2012

10/13/12 my husband and I celebrated our anniversary, and chose to stay at the JWMarriott. My husband travels the country many times per year and is almost always stays with Marriott and holds a large points balance on his rewards card. We weren't able to use points for our stay that weekend and still chose to stay here. We added the "Romance Package" to our stay.. upgraded room, champagne & choc covered strawberries upon arrival, and breakfast for 2 at the restaurant. The room was nice, but the champagne and strawberries were not there right away. The front desk clerk said she'd make sure they'd send up right away. We waited an hour, and when it didn't come we went out shopping. When we returned, I called the concierge and let them know we returned and still didn't receive them. She said she'd call right back (she did not) and that it would come ASAP. Another hour later, nothing. I called AGAIN and it still did not come. The buffet breakfast in the morning was excellent, and when I mentioned the mishap with the champagne and strawberries at checkout they did give it to us "to go"... but with a 3-hr drive back home this wasn't really the best option either. Just didn't leave a good taste in our mouths about this after so many attempts to receive something that we paid extra for.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

First congratulations on your anniversary, and please accept my apologies for us dropping the ball with regards to you getting your champagne and strawberries. This is not acceptable, and we will review our processes. It is my hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our service. Please let me know when you return so we can roll out the red carpet for you. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed October 15, 2012

As a frequent business traveler I look for a place that keeps me energized on the road. There are a lot of quality choices in downtown Indianapolis but the JW is a cut above the rest. Yes, it is a new property but the amount of staff and their level of professionalism rivals ANY hotel in the US. The management of this hotel should be proud of the staff and they way they make every guest feel special. Whether you are here on business, attending an affair or event, or just here on pleasure this hotel will make your trip worth while. Honestly, when you check out you will hate to leave.

Room Tip: In the summer, get a room on the southwest side so you can see right into the minor league baseball...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you so much for your great comments! We loved having you with us, and will look forward to your return. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is a relatively new property. It's said to be the largest J.W. Marriott on the planet. I'm unsure of the accuracy of this statement but it's not a small hotel. Parking was $25 (self - not vallet) though a public garage is available for $15 across the street. The most interesting thing about this hotel is that the metal skin on the exterior creeks and pops as it heats up during the day. I'm sure this was a design flaw but it's a little creepy when you are sitting twenty floors above the ground. The floor to ceiling windows are nice though.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently the largest JW Marriott in the world, but there is a new JW property opening in Dubai that will pass us up. I will follow up with my Director of Engineering regarding your experience with the exterior of the building, but glad to see that you enjoyed the view. We hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is the newest and biggest in the world of the Marriott chain and they really got it right. Twelve of us arrived to check in at the same time and staff appeared immediately to handle us all very quickly. That was just the beginning.
From the fireplace to the comfortable seating areas, the lobby is a pleasure. The room will knock your socks off. One whole wall is a floor to ceiling window! Decor is tasteful and welcoming.
Staff were attentive and extremely pleasant.
Restauants in the hotel were excellent but the real surprise was the high quality of the banquet they served to several hundred people. Artful salad, moist fish, tender steak just right cheescake desert. Amazing.

Room Tip: upper floors have sweeping views of the river, sports complexes and parks.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

I was glad to see that your check-in went so smoothly and that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was great having you here, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager