“Great, except...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great, except...”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The lobby was impressive, and the rooms were very nice and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. The view that the hotel room offered was wonderful. I would have given 5 stars if only there was free wifi in the rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your many kind comments. We appreciate you staying with us while visiting Indy. Regarding the wifi, we must follow Marriott standards which requires a fee at all their full-service properties. To give our guests an option, we do have complimentary wireless in our lobby and restaurants. Be assured that once Marriott makes a change to this policy, we will change it at the property level. Again, we appreciate your business, and hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Korean first
Westminster, MD
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I recently attended a meeting at this property and every aspect, from check-in to check-out, was first class. The hotel rooms were spotless, the elevators fast, and the meeting staff extremely helpful. All of the hotel staff (not just those assigned to our meeting) went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. I had dinner one night at Osteria Pronto, located right off the main lobby area...the menu was varied, the food very good and reasonably priced for a hotel restaurant.

Room Tip: Request a high floor room with city view for a spectacular view of Lucas Oil Stadium and the downtow...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank LBKDMK
Thank you for your great comments, and we hope to welcome you back soon! Scott Blalock, General Manager
Chicago
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed here for Colts v Packers game. The Colts fans were very gracious and accommodating to us Packers fans. The JW is beautifully appointed, the staff friendly and accommodating and the bed and pillows are the most comfortable!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank DasStrass
It was a pleasure to welcome the Packers fans to Indy. Thank you for your kind comments about your visit, and we hope to see you again soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager
denver
Reviewed October 9, 2012

While the JW is a nicely appointed hotel it is not typical of my prior JW experiences. The hotel first is very large and walking from the parking lot is good exercise for the legs and wallet ($28 a night!). During check in my key didn't work and I had to wait for quite awhile while someone came up to my room. The gym is quite nice and spacious and the room accomodations were also nice but not that nice for $330 a night. Thankfully I am a Marriott Rewards member otherwise you will pay $14 a day for internet service. No fee Wi Fi in this day and age? Also, I left a credit card in the room and when I called after arriving back home I was told nothing was found in my room. That was it. No, "let me look into this for you", "sorry" etc. Lastly, as I left the hotel I had to pay for parking all over again even though it was already paid for in my bill and no one was present to assist and no one answer the call button. Overall a dissapointing stay and a hotel I won't stay at again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Please accept my apologies for the problems you experienced during your recent visit. This is not typical of our hotel. I am sorry for the trouble you had with your key and the parking charge. I did confirm that this charge has been refunded. We would love to have the opportunity to regain your confidence in our service and facility. Scott Blalock, General Manager
New York City
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel is new and sparkling clean. From the outside it is impressive. Staff is friendly. But any hotel costing more than $200 a night should be something special. No?

But wait! The rooms are boring, cookie cutter type, sparsely adorned. Hotels at this range often have (at least in Europe they do) careful, thoughtful, professional design touches in the rooms. Not here. No little refrigerator to keep sodas, etc. cold. TV not hidden in a cabinet, but plopped down in plain sight dominating the setting like in any ordinary hotel room. Toilet lever sort of cheap (mine stuck). Lack of towel racks and robe hanger near the shower ( just one knob, not all that functional).

Bathroom isn't especially large, nor is the two double-bed room. Plain rectangular box room. View from the sixth floor on one side was bland and borderline ugly. Not particularly silent from street noise, either. Hotel is not a member of any "green" certification scheme, so not much attention paid to electricity and resource conservation in the rooms. Strange for a hotel of such a new vintage. (Although the heating/cooling system seemed responsive and quiet).

No free wireless! (Come on, at this price? Hotels less than 1/2 the cost give free wireless.)

Nor does the price keep away parents with small children who are allowed to run up and down the halls yelling.

No airport shuttle vans stop at the hotel door. There is a regular city bus style outdoor stop across the street from the adjoining Fairfield Inn front door on the other side of the hotel. Supposed to stop every half hour. Not when I waited there. Wound up having to take a cab to the airport. This is the first hotel in the world of this "quality" that didn't have airport shuttle service reservable and available from the main lobby.

Room cleaning crew tapped on my door and opened up 1 hour and 45 minutes before checkout time. (Checkout time is 11 am).

In the final analysis, this is a fine hotel where I would be more than happy to stay at 50% less than it actually cost (and only then if the wireless were free).

Luxury touches, luxury feeling? Not.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated. We were not designed as many JW resorts, but as a convention hotel. I was sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations, and I can assure you that I will share your comments with our ownership. With regards to the free wifi, we are required by Marriott to follow their standards so there is consistency within the brand. Currently they do require a fee at all their full-service properties. To give our guests an option, we do offer complimentary wireless in the lobby and restaurants. Thank you again for your comments, and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is a massive Marriott. I stayed here last week for a convention and the place was packed. The size of this hotel is comparable to the large hotels on the strip in Vegas. Although the hotel was very busy and sold out, the staff were courteous and helpful and the facilities were very well maintained. The on-site gym is incredible. It is probably the best hotel gym I've seen outside of some spa/resort. The location is very good right near a state park with running trails and a few interesting museums. Downtown is a reasonably short walk away. I understand this hotel was built for the super bowl. The minor league baseball stadium is just across the street and the Colt's stadium a short distance away.
There is a Starbucks on property and a decent Italian restaurant off the lobby.
For a hotel of this size the attention to details is very commendable. I enjoyed my 4 night stay here and felt the room was quiet , clean and comfortable. Also felt that the concierge lounge was excellent compared to others I've visited. Nice job.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bccrab
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
It was certainly our pleasure to have you with us. Thank you for this great review, and we hope to welcome you back soon! Scott Blalock, General Manager
Indiana
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Me and hubby stayed for our annivesary. The lobby speaks volumes to the calibre of hotel. It is massive and open and energetic. Lots of cool seating to just sit or have a drink from the bar. We stayed on the 25th floor park view. It was beautiful, we moved the room chairs to face the window while we drank our champaign and it made the night much more special. We ate at the Pronto Osteria for dinner, thought the prices would be typical outragous prices but they were not, I had a generous bowl of delicious pasta for $11, however I was not happy about the wine "special" of the month that was $15 a glass. The outdoor cafe was absolute wonderful with the live music and comfy couches. Room was a nice size, well appointed. The only oops was the coffee maker and coffee, JW can come better, plus it was filthy. Luckily Starbucks was in the house. Location is good, walkable to downtown but out of the hustle and bustle. Very large hot tub!! Pool water was not too cold, work out room was incredible with plenty of equipment. Loved the windows to the outside.

Room Tip: City view and Park view are both great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kimmyindy
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
From all of us at the JW Marriott, Happy Anniversary and thank you for sharing it with us! I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and your meal; however, I will share your comments about the wine special with my Director of Food and Beverage. I will also speak to my Director of Services regarding the coffee maker. We will make sure this is on our daily checklist. Again, it was our pleasure to have you with us, and best wishes for many more happy years together. Scott Blalock, General Manager