“No. 1 Relative to What?” 3 of 5 bubbles

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #6 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City
“No. 1 Relative to What?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel is new and sparkling clean. From the outside it is impressive. Staff is friendly. But any hotel costing more than $200 a night should be something special. No?

But wait! The rooms are boring, cookie cutter type, sparsely adorned. Hotels at this range often have (at least in Europe they do) careful, thoughtful, professional design touches in the rooms. Not here. No little refrigerator to keep sodas, etc. cold. TV not hidden in a cabinet, but plopped down in plain sight dominating the setting like in any ordinary hotel room. Toilet lever sort of cheap (mine stuck). Lack of towel racks and robe hanger near the shower ( just one knob, not all that functional).

Bathroom isn't especially large, nor is the two double-bed room. Plain rectangular box room. View from the sixth floor on one side was bland and borderline ugly. Not particularly silent from street noise, either. Hotel is not a member of any "green" certification scheme, so not much attention paid to electricity and resource conservation in the rooms. Strange for a hotel of such a new vintage. (Although the heating/cooling system seemed responsive and quiet).

No free wireless! (Come on, at this price? Hotels less than 1/2 the cost give free wireless.)

Nor does the price keep away parents with small children who are allowed to run up and down the halls yelling.

No airport shuttle vans stop at the hotel door. There is a regular city bus style outdoor stop across the street from the adjoining Fairfield Inn front door on the other side of the hotel. Supposed to stop every half hour. Not when I waited there. Wound up having to take a cab to the airport. This is the first hotel in the world of this "quality" that didn't have airport shuttle service reservable and available from the main lobby.

Room cleaning crew tapped on my door and opened up 1 hour and 45 minutes before checkout time. (Checkout time is 11 am).

In the final analysis, this is a fine hotel where I would be more than happy to stay at 50% less than it actually cost (and only then if the wireless were free).

Luxury touches, luxury feeling? Not.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated. We were not designed as many JW resorts, but as a convention hotel. I was sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations, and I can assure you that I will share your comments with our ownership. With regards to the free wifi, we are required by Marriott to follow their standards so there is consistency within the brand. Currently they do require a fee at all their full-service properties. To give our guests an option, we do offer complimentary wireless in the lobby and restaurants. Thank you again for your comments, and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence. Scott Blalock, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is a massive Marriott. I stayed here last week for a convention and the place was packed. The size of this hotel is comparable to the large hotels on the strip in Vegas. Although the hotel was very busy and sold out, the staff were courteous and helpful and the facilities were very well maintained. The on-site gym is incredible. It is probably the best hotel gym I've seen outside of some spa/resort. The location is very good right near a state park with running trails and a few interesting museums. Downtown is a reasonably short walk away. I understand this hotel was built for the super bowl. The minor league baseball stadium is just across the street and the Colt's stadium a short distance away.
There is a Starbucks on property and a decent Italian restaurant off the lobby.
For a hotel of this size the attention to details is very commendable. I enjoyed my 4 night stay here and felt the room was quiet , clean and comfortable. Also felt that the concierge lounge was excellent compared to others I've visited. Nice job.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bccrab
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
It was certainly our pleasure to have you with us. Thank you for this great review, and we hope to welcome you back soon! Scott Blalock, General Manager
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Me and hubby stayed for our annivesary. The lobby speaks volumes to the calibre of hotel. It is massive and open and energetic. Lots of cool seating to just sit or have a drink from the bar. We stayed on the 25th floor park view. It was beautiful, we moved the room chairs to face the window while we drank our champaign and it made the night much more special. We ate at the Pronto Osteria for dinner, thought the prices would be typical outragous prices but they were not, I had a generous bowl of delicious pasta for $11, however I was not happy about the wine "special" of the month that was $15 a glass. The outdoor cafe was absolute wonderful with the live music and comfy couches. Room was a nice size, well appointed. The only oops was the coffee maker and coffee, JW can come better, plus it was filthy. Luckily Starbucks was in the house. Location is good, walkable to downtown but out of the hustle and bustle. Very large hot tub!! Pool water was not too cold, work out room was incredible with plenty of equipment. Loved the windows to the outside.

Room Tip: City view and Park view are both great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kimmyindy
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
From all of us at the JW Marriott, Happy Anniversary and thank you for sharing it with us! I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and your meal; however, I will share your comments about the wine special with my Director of Food and Beverage. I will also speak to my Director of Services regarding the coffee maker. We will make sure this is on our daily checklist. Again, it was our pleasure to have you with us, and best wishes for many more happy years together. Scott Blalock, General Manager
North Central Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Once I broke my ankle, we cancelled our trip to Charleston, and settled for an overnight stay in Indy. I had enough points to stay at the JW Downtown. This hotel was simply awesome. I had arranged for a room on a top floor and was given a corner room with an awesome view. I requested a bottle of champagne be delivered and we celebrated our 20th anniversary in style. From check in, to room service, and the hotel restaurant, everything here was done right. I loved the shower too! I highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in downtown Indy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Sorry to hear about your ankle, but we're happy you celebrated your anniversary with us. It was a pleasure having you with us, and best wishes for many more years together. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I live in the Indianapolis area and have used this hotel for weekend nights out downtown, and also used it for one of my first visits to Indy before moving here from the East Coast.

My wife and I have had really great stays. The rooms are not overly luxurious but very nice and still feel very new (hotel is pretty new, opened perhaps 10-12 months before the NFL Super Bowl in Indy).

Views from upper floors are terrific. Service is attentive. Lobby area, bars and restaurants are well appointed and often crowded with visitors on weekends.

The location of the Conrad might be better, in terms of walking to shopping and restaurants, but the JW is only 3-4 blocks away and located next to museums, Victory Field (home of AAA Indianapolis Indians) and White River State Park.

As with most hotels they soak you for the small stuff: $15 for wifi, $35 for parking - which seem ridiculous with room rates that can dip below $200 during certain periods.

We really like this place and can strongly recommend it to locals or visitors.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your sincerity. I do understand your disappointment in the wifi fee. Marriott does require a fee at all their full-service properties. To give our guets an option, we do offer complimentary wireless in the lobby and restaurants. Again, we enjoyed having you with us, and look forward to welcoming you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at the JW Marriott Indianapolis for nine days. I was in town for my company's conference. The hotel is beautiful. The decor is so hip and stylish. It definitely did not feel like I was in Indiana once I stepped inside the hotel. The food in the lobby bar & High Velocity was so good. The mojitos I had at the bar were perfection! I had to go to the convention center a lot and the skywalk was a major bonus offering access to Circle Centre Mall, the convention center, & other downtown locations. JWM Indy is a great hotel for conferences & events. The customer service was stellar. The staff was friendly & warm - always offering help. I was carrying a box through the lobby & a staff member said I can take that. He carried the box to our staff office and even hung around to help us rearrange our space. The level of service I experienced was beyond amazing.

• Stayed September 2012
Southern Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I recently stayed at the JW for a work related meeting that was being held in their convention center. Since my employer booked the room I was on the sixth floor looking down on the check in area and roof for the hotel behind the JW. I'm sure rooms on the higher floors have a much better view. The room was very nice, but I had expected more since I had looked up the price of the rooms online. The bathroom wasn't anything special, but I did appreciate the makeup mirror when getting ready. I also think having to pay for internet service when a room costs this much is not reasonable.

The convention center is very nice. The rooms we had meetings in were well laid out and easy to find. We also had a breakfast and lunch buffet in the convention center and the food was good except for the eggs at breakfast, which were runny.

Overall the JW is a very nice hotel, but I have also stayed at the Conrad a couple of blocks over and if I'm paying that is where I stay. It is a lot closer to places to eat and is a more upscale experience.

Also one note on the JW's parking garage. Very confusing to figure out and I had to swipe my card 3 times to get it to let me out at the end of my stay. It kept telling me my card wasn't valid.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your comments about the Internet and wanted you to know that we are required by Marriott to follow their policies so there is consistency within the brand. Currently there is a fee at their full-service properties. When this policy is changed, we will gladly change it here at the property level. I was also sorry to read about the problem you had in the garage, and will speak to my parking manager in this regard. Again, it was our pleasure to have you with us, and I do hope you will consider giving us a chance to regain your confidence. Scott Blalock, General Manager