“Really nice hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Parker, CO
“Really nice hotel”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed for a few nights on business. We loved it. I don't have anything to compare it to as I've never been to Indianapolis before but if I go back, which I'm sure I will as I have clients there, I will stay again. I appreciate the complimentary internet, the excellent device ( Marriott sure knows how to hire- great service at almost every property), comfortable, quiet, clean rooms and close proximity to restaurants etc.

• Stayed July 2012
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
It was great to have you with us, and we'll be looking forward to welcoming you back! Scott Blalock, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
  • Korean first
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel is very nice, clean and staff is friendly. Our room overlooked the canal and park.
The hotel staff was very helpful in giving us recommendations on where to eat. Hotel restaurant was not prepared for the amount of traffic at the hotel. I was attending a training in the hotel and we attempted to eat at the restaurant. We had a time limit. The first day they did not have enough staff on hand so we had to wait to be seated. We barely were able to get our food and eat within the hour time frame we had been given. The second day we encountered a wait also so had to walk to the Subway. It was unfortunate they were not staffed to handle the customers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent visit and for your comments. I do want to apologize for the fact that we were not prepared in the restaurants for your group, and you can be assured that I will speak to my Director of Food & Beverage in this regard. We will take the necessary steps to correct our shortcomings. If you return to the area, I do hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our food and service. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Like the title says was there in August 2012 for a conference. Place is very clean from the lobby to the rooms. was placed in a corner room on the 14th floor with spectacular views. Check in was fast and there were plenty of reps for it. The room was spacious and very up to date. The cleaning staff did a great job cleaning the room and supplying the toiletries. The star bucks on the second floor was great and always had enough people working to make the long lines go by pretty fast. The conference space was great and overall was one of the best conferences I have been to. There are a lot of dinning options within a short walk from the hotel. If you are trying to get to and from the airport, the IndyGo Green line drops off and picks up right behind the hotel. I would stay there again if I was in Indianapolis. Did not eat at any of the onsite resturants, but the menu's looked good.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our stay at the JW Marriott was a splurge for me and my kids. JW's reputation for being a high-end luxury hotel did not live up to my expectations. We stayed two nights and I was very surprised that our room was not cleaned on day 2 (we had the "do not disturb" sign out for only part of the day while my teenagers slept in). My daughter had to call the front desk at midnight after we returned from our event to ask for clean towels. The room itself was nice and the beds were comfortable.

I left a pair of relatively expensive sunglasses on the desk in our room and called the hotel as soon as I got home and told them that I had forgotten them. The Loss Prevention staff was very attentive and looked into it but they were not found. I find this very disappointing as I know with certainty where I left them. My family has left items behind in hotels before and they have always been recovered and returned. The experience will make me think twice before booking this JW Marriott again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your visit, and please accept my apologies for the fact that your room was not cleaned on the second night. This is not typical of our team, and I will speak to my Housekeeping Managers in this regard. I also want to apologize for the fact that your sunglasses were not found. I will follow up with the team in this regard. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and it is my hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence in our service. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Denver CO
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel met my needs. Close to everything, so I got lots of walking in. Lots of things to see around the hotel. My room was on the park side and had large windows. Perfect to sit and enjoy. Only downfall is there is no fridge in the room, which would have been handy.

Room Tip: There were a few concerts going on while I was there. They were bands I enjoy so no biggie but if y...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments. We appreciate your visit. We do have a limited number of refrigerators available upon request. Please let us know in advance, and we'll do our best to have one in your room. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Spent four nights here for a work conference. Great facilities for our group of over 1000. Location is close to major sports, concert, tourist, and downtown eateries. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Hotel is a conference/convention design...not a swany resort setting as some JWs. Rooms were average size, good work area and large flat screen TV. Not much of a sitting area, one chair tucked into a corner with bad TV angle. Couple of our lunches were provided which were quite good. Had to eat lunch in one of the bars one day and had a terrible time getting my salad. Staff were very apologetic. Property is newer so everything looks/feels new and clean, nice sheets and linens. Other than the one problem getting lunch, no complaints or concerns, would stay again without any reservations. Almost forgot, I had a room facing West Street and was kinda surprised by road noise on eighth floor, although it did not bother sleep.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room overlooking Victory Field.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit, as well as your feedback. These comments help us see what is working and areas for improvement. I will speak to my Director of Food and Beverage regarding the problem you had during lunch. Again, it was a pleasure having you with us, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I was pretty excited to stay here. We spent three nights and had a room on the 31st floor.

The good:
- Great location.
- Floor to ceiling windows.
- Extremely clean.
- Large room...ours was almost so large it seemed empty, but that is preferable to tripping over furniture.
- Wonderful view of the river and IUPUI campus.
- Extremely quick check in.
- Very friendly employees. Everyone had a smile.
- Executive lounge is open on the weekends, which is something I've never seen before. The food was also very good and the view of the city from the lounge is beautiful.
- High end toiletries and wonderful, relaxing shower.
- Starbucks on site. Not the usual "Starbucks served here" but an actual Starbucks.
- When I connected to the internet, it shows the $12.95 charged even though internet is included for gold and platinum members, but the charge didn't show on the bill, so that worked out. Of course, charging anyone for internet is kind of nickel and diming, but it doesn't look like that'll ever change at Marriott's full service properties.
- Fast elevators. I never waited more than 2-3 minutes.

The bad:
- As others have mentioned, the parking is outrageous. The pricing is NOT comparable to other parking downtown, which I know because I paid to park in a garage one evening for much less. This is Indianapolis, not Chicago. Charging $35 for valet borders on obscene.
- Valet was slooooow. I waited 25 minutes for my car one day. Turns out they'd forgotten to get the car when my husband called down for it. Not a big deal unless you're paying $35 a day.
- Valet told us Sunday morning that they weren't taking calls due to the volume of people leaving, but when my husband went downstairs to physically talk to them, the valet WAS taking calls from others. We felt slighted.
- The hotel was packed, crowded, and loud. Our room was right across from the lounge service entrance, and we heard people and staff entering and exiting and talking loudly starting at 6:30 am every morning.
- The main restaurant does not serve lunch on the weekends until 1 pm. This is just...strange.
- The sports bar was so crowded (probably because no one else wanted breakfast at 12:30 pm) that I sat at the bar for almost 15 minutes without being acknowledged.
- Even on the 31st floor, the outside noise level is pretty high. We could hear a high school drum competition until 11:30 one night.
- No bathtub. Not a huge problem, and I've noticed new properties are going away from them, but it would have been nice.

Of course, none of these would be an issue if I was paying $150 a night for a hotel. But for $270 including parking, especially from Marriott's luxury brand, I expect a little more. All in all, I came away with the feeling that this is a plain old convention hotel masquerading as a luxury hotel. I felt like it was a JW in name only. It hasn't turned me off from the JW brand, as I think this is mostly a function of it being a "convention hotel" but we'll be staying in another Marriott property next time we're in town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent post, and I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations. Just for your information, we do have tubs in our queen/queen rooms and showers in our kings. I will also speak to our valet team regarding your experience. We will take the necessary steps to correct our shortcomings. With regards to parking rates, we will continue to monitor this and are currently competitive with the other full-service hotels downtown. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence. Scott Blalock, General Manager