“Beautiful and Convenient”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful and Convenient”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 10 days for a convention and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Had a special convention rate, so can't really speak to value for money. The hotel is new and beautiful. It's right across the street from the convention center and is connected by "sky bridge" walkways that make it easy (and cool - I was there during a heat wave) to get there. Baseball park is also right across the street. Rooms are pretty standard for a big corporate hotel like this - great beds, nice big flat screen TV, good work space with both wired and wireless internet connectivity, good bathroom with all the amenities. The two restaurants, High Velocity (a sports bar style place - good service, very quick service, decent menu) and Ostaria Pronto (Italian dinner - but I only ate breakfast there - a great breakfast buffet) were excellent. Ordered room service twice and they quoted "30 to 45 minutes," but both times the food was there within 10 minutes. And the staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful. At registration the woman who checked me in came out from behind her desk and walked me to the elevators. Later when I asked about the computers where you can print a boarding pass, the person I spoke with walked me to those, too. And everyone greets you every time they see you. I would recommend this place if a big corporate hotel is what you're looking for. It's lovely.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (695)
  • Korean first
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for three nights. The hotel is new, so building itself is very clean and nice. pretty much closer to every place in downtown, Indianapolis. I liked the sky-walk to convention center and shopping mall. employees are friendly, nice, and professional. I highly recommend this hotel =)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Eun Soo C
illinois
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Overall this hotel was a great value. The hotel has only been open just over a year or so, so everything is nice and new. The parking was easy and attached to the hotel. The hotel is in a great location right across the street from the Indiana State Museum and Victory Field, (home of the Indianapolis Indians, Triple A team of the Pittsburgh Pirates), easy walking distance to Lucas Oil Stadium, and a few blocks from the center of downtown. Check in was quick and easy and the staff were extremely helpful and professional.
The reason I say the hotel was a great value is the total cost prior to tax was approximately $260 for one night. Included in this amount were two adult and two childrens tickets to the Childrens Museum (a value of $60) as well as complimentary breakfast buffett at one of the hotel restaurants, Osteria Pronto, which was very, very good. The price of breakfast would have been $58 plus tax. So now we are down to approximately $142 for hotel, which given its "newness" and "niceness" was well worth the money.
The only two gripes I have are while the parking is easy and appeared to be abundant, I felt gouged paying $28 per night to park on site. I can see paying this amount if I were in a privately owned parking garage down the street. Secondly the wifi fee, which was approximately $13 for the one night I was there, is too high!
Oh, and for me, the bed was too firm, but not going to include this as a gripe as some others may love a firm bed.
I would definetly stay at this property again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kahersh
Chicago
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I recently stayed here for three nights this past weekend. I don't usually stay at chain hotels but I decided to take a chance due to the reviews posted and the location. It is within walking distance of the zoo, the state museum and the Eiteljorg museum all of which came in handy. No need to take the car anywhere, just leave it in the garage and go for a stroll. A few of these museums are literally across the street!

Special mention goes to Pamela at the front desk for the prompt check-in and Michael with room service, who took the time to mention the scenes to check out around town.

The room was on the 27th floor; it was decent size and fairly contemporary furnishings. The three-way shower faucets were fantastic and the desk chair is probably the most comfortable piece of furniture in the room (surprisingly). I'm not faulting the bedding at all, it was great to sleep on as well.

My only gripe is that it seems like this hotel gives more attention to clients who come in by way of the numerous conventions they hold and a little less to the regular people who are just booking a room for the weekend. I booked with a gardens and museums package and the little card they gave me as a promotional piece had someone else's last name on it. I also requested two extra towels and one extra pillow that were never sent up.

Also the internet service charge isn't steep but it's strange that it's a daily charge. Once it expires (you have a timer) you have to sign up for it again if you wish to use it. Of course you can haul your gear down to the first two floors for free two hour complimentary wi-fi but it's fairly annoying. Also the wi-fi that you pay for is painfully slow and disconnects consistently. Perhaps this is a ploy so that they can goad you into paying for the business package; I didn't opt for that nor did I use the internet all that often.

Overall I enjoyed it. Everyone was polite and helpful but I feel that with as busy as the place gets from multiple conventions and business clients they might overlook their other guests.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Machiave11i
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback. I was glad to see that overall you enjoyed your visit downtown. I do want to apologize for the fact that you were given incorrect information regarding your package. This is not typical of our team, and I will follow up to make sure we are more diligent when preparing information. I am also sorry we let you down with your requests, and I will speak to the team in this regard. Your business is important to us, and I do hope you will continue to use our facility whenever you are in the area. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This hotel has a large, contemporary feel. The service is good and the rooms are nice and super clean. Our king bed was the most comfortable bed I've slept in, next to my own. The bathroom had a great shower and excellent lighting. Take your own robe and bath products, these seemed cheap. The location is great. We walked down to the canal area every day for an enjoyable walk on the paved trails around the zoo and along the canal. This is really a pretty area, not to be missed! I only gave this place 4 stars because I prefer smaller boutique hotels to these large chains.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 15, 2012

JW offers great room product, spacious rooms, wonderful updated amenities, beautiful appointed bathrooms. Service is EXCEPTIONAL from the moment you pull up. Concierge was helpful, suggested many options and so friendly. The only thing we were not as happy with was the breakfast room service. Our jam selection arrived and was opened and partially used already. Not centrally located in town a few blocks out of everything but small enough city it isn't a problem.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for high floor, view of Lucas Oil Stadium and downtown Indy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My wife and I just spent 11 nights at the JW Marriott in Indianapolis. We travel a great deal so hotel stays are part of our life. But our stay here was exceptional. What stood out the most was the attentiveness and friendliness of the staff, from the moment of arrival to the moment of departure, from the welcomes outside the entrance, to the lobby staff, to the restaurant staff. And our room was special. We were lucky enough to get a corner room, so had terrific views on two sides through the floor to ceiling windows.

Room Tip: Get a corner room if possible, the higher the better.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business