3,504 results
All reviews high velocity convention center floor to ceiling windows the executive lounge white river corner room victory field beautiful hotel high floor lobby bar lucas oil stadium city view self parking per day downtown area conference osteria
Reviewed June 7, 2012

The shiny black edifice of this new 1,000 room convention hotel towers over a handful of other Marriott brands within a one block radius. I've stayed in the Downtown Marriott many times on business trips to Indy and was pleased to stay in the more upscale JW on my latest trip. The hotel has all the amenities found in a first class business hotel. The one thing that struck me as being outstanding was the friendliness and helpful attitude of the staff. I can't say enough about the front desk, wait staff and every Marriott associate I encountered during my stay.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Got a great rate for the Indiana Vintage Wine Festival. Very busy hotel. Front desk person was very friendly. Needed extra towels and had them within 5 mins. Decor was very nice and everything very clean.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2012

So unhappy with our stay on Saturday, a stay I was very much looking forward to. I booked our room with my debit card, as that is what I had handy at the time. However, when checking in I presented my credit card as my form of payment. Not an unusual occurrence, I'm sure. However, a check of my accounts later in the day showed that the front desk employee who checked us in charged the $50 incidentals fee to BOTH my debit card AND my credit card. I was furious. I NEVER presented the debit card at the time of check in and NEVER authorized it to be charged for anything. When I went down to the front desk to complain (of course, they didn't notice the mistake and let me know proactively), the front desk staff had no clue what was going on. She first tried to tell me that my room rate of $163 plus tax equaled $427 total. Then, after I explained over and over again the problem, another staff person intervened, took down my debit card information and assured me that the $50 charge would be credited within a few hours. That was Saturday night. It is now Monday afternoon. It has still not been credited back. I am about to call the bank and report the charge as fraudulent. I just cannot believe the ineptitude of the front desk staff.

Then, when ready to check out on Sunday at 10:30 we called down to valet. The employee who answered informed us that due to the high volume of departures we should proceed down to the valet desk. Fine, no biggie. So we head down, give them our valet ticket and wait. And wait. And wait. Multiple hotel guests who requested their cars after us receive their cars and leave. And still we wait. A super friendly valet attendant checks on us twice regarding our car but it seems to have no effect on our extraordinarily long wait time. Finally, our car arrives and we hastily depart.

Never again JW Marriot! The Conrad is the downtown Indianapolis hotel for me.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Scott B, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your post regarding your stay with us. I am sorry for the inconvenience we caused when we did not apply the hold to the correct card during your check in. I appreciate you working with me on it and I'm glad we were able to get it resolved.

Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards,

Scott Blalock

Reviewed June 1, 2012

New, big, bright hotel with beautiful rooms and good restaurants.
Its so nice to find a ‘best in class’ hotel, actually think this may be a ‘concept’ hotel for the chain - it feels like the executives tried to test a high end hotel in a midwestern market. Amazing.

Room tip: I’ve stayed about 6 times and every room has been great. I think its the way the hotel is designed!
Date of stay: May 2012
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I was excited to stay at a JW Marriott for the first time. In town for the Indy 500, it was the perfect location for access to Indianapolis's great downtown and terrific restaurants. I checked into my room Thursday night and noticed a damp spot near the A/C unit. By Friday afternoon, the damp spot was significant. I called downstairs and asked for someone to come up in 30 minutes - I needed to shower first after a long day in the heat. Less than 15 minutes later and not a minute after I stepped out of the shower, the engineer is at my door. I didn't want to send him away so I used the hotel robe for coverage. I asked if he had gotten the message about waiting 30 minutes and he said no, they only get minimal info on their radios. OK, fine. He said he would fix the A/C and bring up a blower to dry the carpet. The hotel was full so he said there weren't any more rooms so I didn't ask (my mistake). Saturday AM comes and the area is still damp. By Saturday PM, the room is a mess with half the carpet wet and now I really need a new room. They have had some no-shows so they get me a room 14 floors below. All is well until I discover the toilet runs in that room! I had 2 more nights but just couldn't bother packing and moving again. But I felt like the fixtures, finishes, and overall quality was closer to a 3+ star hotel than a true 5 star.

Also, the walls are paper thin and the windows do not compensate for city noises. I could hear my neighbor coughing and water running in the bathroom next door. Sunday morning at 5:30AM I was awakened by the sirens of some police escorts on their way to the track and it sounded like there was no muffling from the windows. On Monday at 4:30AM my neighbors got home, slammed the adjoining door, argued, laughed, cried, and generally carried on and I could hear everything. The towels and amenities were only mid-grade. Again, very 3-star and hardly the serenity and luxury of many other 5-stars (or even 4-star) hotels I have stayed in.

The staff was very friendly and nice but somewhat inefficient. Thursday night, I called down for someone to pick up my room service tray, which was outside. Friday AM it was still there. It took nearly 45 minutes and 2 phone calls for a bell man to come and help me move to the new room. The room service guy just stood there while I wrote out the bill instead of pouring coffee like so many other hotels. The managers really tried, and I was offered a free breakfast for the room issues, a cup of coffee at Starbucks for the delayed valet and 2,000 point for all my issues. But in terms of being a 5-star hotel, well, it just isn't there. With a rack rate of $1,400/night, this hotel staff needs more training.

The lobby area is really fantastic and the food is amazing. The eggs Benedict was perfection and the event space is large and well appointed. I just don't think I would stay here again because of the quality of the construction and the really loud rooms.

Room tip: Ask for the park side far from the elevators. It loses the cool city view but it may be quieter.
Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Scott B, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your post regarding your stay over Indy 500 weekend. I'm so sorry you had trouble with the carpet in your room. I have already followed up with my team to review some other options to handle a situation like that. Looks like there were some other things during your stay as well that do not reflect the level of service or quality of our hotel. Again, I apologize and will reach out to you directly to discuss your experience with us.

Scott Blalock