“Amazing Customer Service by Caring, Energetic Employees” 5 of 5 bubbles

JW Marriott Indianapolis
Ranked #7 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
NJ
“Amazing Customer Service by Caring, Energetic Employees”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

Currently staying at the JW Marriott in Indianapolis for a business conference. Upon arriving on a bus from the airpoirt, was greeted by bell staff. Walked into the lobby where there were at least 10 front desk people standing in front of the front desk to assist. She promptly escorted me to the check in counter. As a Marriott platinum inquired about a possible suite upgrade and was given a corner suite on the 26th floor with amazing views. I was not just given the keys and told were the elevators were, I was escorted to the elevators, she inserted the key and pressed my floor. (i have had experiences like this before, but usually at a Ritz Carlton or St Regis, never at a convention hotel) So far I have interacted with about 8 team members for the hotel, all who are always smiling and very courteous. I have easily stayed about 1000 nights in a hotel over the past ten years. Of all of those experiences, never have I experienced the most consistent high level of service throughout a property, that I have at the JW Marriott Indianapolis. Obviously this property has high standards influenced by a very effective management team. Great Job!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
  • Korean first
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

We just stayed here this past weekend (Aug 13-15) and had a wonderful time. We were in room 3101 and had a fantastic view. Tip: if you get this room, you will not be disappointed. The JW Indy is the tallest hotel in Indianapolis and depending upon which way you are facing, the views are incredible.
We ate at High Velocity only and chose to walk to the many other restaurants in the area. The executive lounge is very nice on the 31st floor but my tip is to make sure that you don’ t wait until breakfast is almost over to get there. The breakfast ended at 11am but by 10:45 or so, a lot of the food was gone. The staff there did make a special trip to replenish what was there but if you had an appointment to make, you would have been late.

Pros:

- Check-in: was a breeze. It was quick and came off without a hitch.
- The convenience: This hotel is close to everything in downtown Indy. You can take the skywalk to the convention center and on down to the mall. You are in walking distance of several restaurants, Indiana State House, and the canal – where you can rent paddle boats. You do not need a car if you are staying downtown.
- The rooms: very clean and nicely decorated and the bed was comfortable. The shower had 2 “body” shower heads coming out of the wall in addition to the main one from above – nice touch!
- The staff: was very nice and willing to go the extra mile if you needed anything. We ordered extra towels and did not have to wait long for them.
- The food: we ate at High Velocity and the Executive lounge (for breakfast). Overall, the food was pretty good but I would recommend that you venture out – there is so much more to offer downtown. Executive “breakfast” included scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, a daily chef’s special (biscuits and gravy), juice, muffins, lox and cream cheese bagels, etc. For more economic options, Friday’s is located on the property just behind (west of) the hotel.

Cons:

- The rooms: they were a bit small and there was no refrigerator or safe. But I believe the smaller rooms are so that the hotel can accommodate for more rooms. Overall, I didn’t feel cramped but I have stayed at Marriott’s where the rooms were bigger.
- Capacity to hold groups: My only other issue is whether this hotel has the full capacity to accommodate groups. My husband’s fraternity had its centennial celebration in Indy last month. The JW Marriott was one of the host hotels. Unfortunately, it had to “close” down the lobby and hotel because it was too crowded. The closing did pose a problem for some people downtown. I am quite sure the JW left a lot of money on the table that night! Nevertheless, if this was a problem then, I can’t imagine how they will handle the Super bowl!
- The Pool: is very small (approximately 25 ft long) and only about 4 ½ feet.
- Executive Lounge: they ran out of food close to the end of breakfast. It also seemed like they let almost “anyone” in there. I can see how someone could just “sneak” in behind someone. That said, the staff did go and get more to replenish.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lansing, mi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

A little pretentious at check-in, but check-in was smooth and fast. The hotel has elevators that require the use of your keycard in order to ascend to your floor. This is inconvenient, especially when there are other people using the elevator with you because sometimes their keys don't work, or they are not fast enough, and you end up going down instead of up and have to start over again. This is particularly inconvenient if one is inebriated or has his or her hands full with children or shopping.

In a hotel like this, I expected that there would be ice and vending machines on each floor; however, I was disappointed to discover that the ice machines are located on the second floor. Therefore, obtaining ice requires the use of the keycard-operated elevator once again. Hotel staff will bring ice to your room, but prepare for a wait. We called down and 15 minutes later, still no ice, so we had to call down again, and when she arrived, she didn't have the quantity of ice we requested. The hotel did call us to apologize for the wait which was a nice gesture, but it would have been nicer if we could have either procured the ice on our own or if the ice had been brought to our room more hastily.

We had a difficult time finding the TGI Fridays in the hotel. It wasn't listed on the floor-by-floor list of restaurants/bars/cafes. When we asked hotel staff how to get there, we got 3 different directions from 2 different people. This was frustrating, especially since it was storming outside. We did, however, manage to finally find it.

For what this hotel charges for parking ($28) and a room (upwards of $150/night), free Internet is befitting, if not deserved. Before staying here, I couldn't think of the last hotel I stayed at that did not offer free internet or at least Internet at a reasonable rate. This hotel charges $12.95/day for internet! Outlandish!

As for the good things about the hotel: the room itself was nice. 28th floor, facing the canal. The room was clean and well-appointed and the bed was very comfortable. The electronics were modern, the coffee pot was clean and did not impart a mocha flavour into my tea, and the rooms were very quiet. Our floor was busy and we never heard anything from the rooms on either side of us.

The bathroom was big and the shower was amazing. Two people can take a shower in there at once without having to have one person stand in the cold waiting for the other to finish under the head. There is plenty of hot water for everyone. The soaps and shampoos smell lovely: not too floral and feminine that a man wouldn't want to use them, and not too woody and masculine that a woman would think she would smell mannish by using it.

We had the late-night munchies and visited High Velocity and the food was good, it arrived quickly and correctly, and our server was pleasant. The bar was busy but it was not so loud that I couldn't have a conversation with my companion and the bartender was attentive.

Notwithstanding the inconveniences we encountered in this hotel, it was a very pleasant stay. The location could not have been better. The room was comfortable and quiet, the bathroom was fabulous. The keycard elevator is an inconvenience that would make the placement of ice machines on every floor, particularly in a higher-end hotel like this, appropriate. Free or reasonably-priced Internet would also be a boon.

1 Thank incitatus
chicago illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

The location for our purposes was perfect---event at Lucas Stadium. Staff helpful, rooms well appointed, decor of common areas elegant but welcoming, variety of restaurants. This is a top notch hotel

Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

I have visited many JW Marriott properties around the world and was excited when I learend one would be built in Indianapolis as I travel there frequently. I've been a Marriott Rewards member for years and always try to choose a Marriott property if one is available. Check in was easy and the front desk staff was extremely helpful. Overall I was impressed by the professionalism and attentiveness of the staff until I checked out. About 30 minutes after departing I realized I left something in the room. I contacted the hotel and was advised I would be contacted when housekeeping turned in the item. I was never contacted and called back four more times over the course of the day until I reached someone who sent an employee to the room to retrieve the item. Unfortunately the item was not in the room. The employee advised they checked all areas the item may have been turned in without luck. I was advised an internal investigation would be conducted and a claim report was filed. I was also advised I would be contacted in reference to the claim report but again have yet to be contacted. I realize leaving the item behind was my own fault but am deeply disappointed by the dishonesty of the JW Marriott staff and the failure to turn the item in to lost and found as I was advised is their policy. This is not what I have come to expect from a JW Marriott.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank AnneU1121
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Don't be fooled. While this nice, new, clean JW is a cool addition to the Indy skyline, it comes nowhere near most JWs in terms of service, style, vibe, and clientele. If however you don't mind a massive 1000-plus room beehive, 45-minute or more wait for breakfast (for the buffet!), completely below par executive lounge on the Concierge level, and grating masses clamoring through the lobby, then this place is for you.
We arrived at 8 pm with three large bags and two roll-a boards yet there was no bellman in sight nor did any staff offer to find one or welcome us. As we dragged our bags once more, this time down the long long hallway to our room, we noticed a piece of white paper folded into the door jam of most every room, including, finally, ours. Turned out to be a crassly worded edict to guests informing us that the hotel had several big events coming in the next morning, Sunday, so could we please be sure to be out by 11! What a welcome. Hello - now leave!
Don't mind a gentle reminder, but as a Marriott Elite I have earned and am accustomed to flexible check out. This memo certainly could have been written less offensively, or not posted at all to certain rooms. Further with the wait for breakfast so long, as we learned the hard way the next morning, how on earth do they expect you to hustle out?
Given the long and winding line for the brunch buffet, we checked out the concierge lounge on the 31st floor, which also serves breakfast. What a mess. Upon arrival - they were out of coffee. Dirty dishes, leftovers scattered all over the room. The buffet/serve-yourself area was filthy - as was every piece of purportedly clean silverware.
We finally assembled some plates and utensils, (which we had to wipe down) only to open the lid of the "scrambled eggs" buffet dish and learn that was empty too. Server said several times they were on the way with more, but no eggs ever arrived. We cobbled together sort of a fake lox and bagels out of what remained of the sliced salmon, left over low fat cream cheese - the regular was gone - and a piece of wheat bread, as only one bagel - raisin- remained in the bin. The pastry selection was better, but they did not taste fresh.
Later, trying to make a cup of hot tea, we were greeted with no hot water. Finally got the water from a server who went to the kitchen for us, but as we went back to the tea/coffee set up we found there were no creamers or stirrers. Asked for a stirrer, a server digs one out of the back of a cabinet and hands it to us, unwrapped with his bare hands. All in all atrocious.
This is a herd 'em in, herd 'em out convention hotel and nothing more. Maybe a nice addition for this city and convenient to The Colts and Indy 500, but if you are looking for fine service, class and luxury, this is not it. Really wanted to give this property 2 1/2 stars but since there is no half option, I went for the three. But it really isn't even that.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RobertaAnthony
Marysville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

My mom and I stayed here for the weekend when we came to Indy to see the DCI World Championships. What a beautiful hotel! I expected as much being a part of the JW series. I loved the underground parking and also how the parking garage was color coded to let you know where you needed to go. Check-in was super easy & the young woman at the front desk walked us to the elevator and explained all the hotel restaurants & other details we might want to know. Our room was perfect! It was clean, well-stocked, & had everything we possibly could want in a hotel room. We did however hit a snafu with ordering room service. It took us about an hour & a half at about 1:00 a.m. to get our room service order, but the hotel was great in making it up to us by deducting our room service bill by 50% since the food was delivered warm & was actually very tasty. This by no means hurt my rating on this hotel! We had breakfast in Osterio Pronto, and it was pretty good. The hotel overall was very nice, clean, the staff was very accomodating, and the decor was just gorgeous! I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family