“Check your confirmations!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 184 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Check your confirmations!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

In January we reserves a Club Level Guest Room, with a City View on the top floor. $455 after tax The room was booked on the jwindy.com website and claimed it had access to a Lounge where complimentary snacks, sodas, and breakfast could be found. I received a confirmation and have a copy on hand.

I received a reminder confirmation the day before my check in date. I did not review it, since I had before. The confirmation number is the same and so is the $455 price tag. However upon arrival to the JW Indy... I was told the best available was on the 29th floor with a "Park View" the view was not what we reserves, the room was not located where we had booked it to be, We did not receive access to any lounge and breakfeast was an additional $16 a person. Not to mention.... The price tag remained the same! I have yet to get an answer as to how. The staff was polite and friendly, but it was obvious that they hotel is new and so was the staff. I'm trying to get better contact informatio, but want folks to CHECK YOUR CONFIRMATION!

Don't get me wrong! THIS IS A GORGEOUS BRAND NEW HOTEL AND THE STAFF IS VERY FRIENDLY! THE LOCATION IS PERFECT AND THE BEDS COMFY. BUT SOME HOW MY CONFIRMATION WAS CHANGED WITH OUT MY DISCRETION AND I WAS STILL CHARGED THE SAME. PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS WITH YOUR OWN RESERVATION.\

OH AND WE WERE CHARGED FOR PARKING, WHEN WE HAD NO CAR.

• 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank dcdill8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Stayed overnight in conjunction with a conference that was on-site at the JW. Great convention space with assistance as I arrived in the parking garage below the hotel. Many staff helping with directions, etc. The catered meals at the JW were very good. The The hotel room was well appointed and comfortable. Nice views overlooking the baseball park downtown. Convenient to the downtown area without going outside through the elevated walkways connecting to downtown. The only area of concern was the noise from the heating and air conditioning system in the hotel room. The noise reminded of the through the wall units found in the economy hotels. Hope they can address this issue.

Elkhart, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Excellent service:
- Every single employee we encountered was smiling and helpful, from valet parking to the door man, concierge, front desk employees, and concierge lounge employees. Jennifer at the front desk (she was from Elkhart, IN) was incredible. She even sent a chocolate treat up to our room in celebration of my husband's birthday.

Great views:
- Our room was on the top floor (33rd floor). We could see the state capitol building, Lucas Oil Stadium and all of the downtown buildings. Our friends were on the other side of the hallway and their room overlooked the baseball stadium, White River Park, the Zoo and a memorial park.

Concierge lounge:
- This was a nice treat that we were not expecting. The lounge was huge with lots of TVs to watch the March Madness games. The drinks were plentiful. Non-alcohol drinks at no charge; the charge for alcohol was a bit more than at the downtown bars and it's on a honor bar system, where you write down what you drink and they charge your room. If you're a Diet Coke fan, you'll have to pack your own as they only have Pepsi flavors for soft drinks. They offered a large breakfast selection (eggs, bacon, waffles, breads, cereals, etc.) at no charge. Overall, the lounge was a great place to hang out with our friends and offered a great view of the city. And, it has free wifi if you bring your laptop or tablet, and also has several desktop computers for guests to use while in the lounge.

Comfortable room:
- Same comfortable bedding as other Marriott hotels. Fluffy towels and bathrobe. Wonderful smelling soaps and shampoos. Lighted magnifying mirror in the bath. Huge shower with overhead and wall showerheads.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting downtown Indy.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

I thought the JW was to Marriott what the Conrad is to Hilton but I didn't find that to be the case. The hotel is massive and very state of the art with every bell and whistle you can buy today but I just thought it would be more plush and opulent. If you were blindfolded and put in a hotel room you would think you were at any nice upper scale full service hotel, including their full service Marriott sister hotel down the street.
Service was pretty good except for I also experienced the problem with the key system which I was ok with, even though unlike another reviewer I did not get a nice note or any sort of turndown service for my inconvenience. However there was one problem with not having a key and that was gaining true access to the workout facilities. At check-in I asked about gaining access without a key and was told just to come back to the desk and they would let me in, ok no problem, but what they didn't say was that once you are inside of the exercise complex you need a key to move around freely. Without a key I couldn't even get in the women’s locker room to use the facilities. Why the place is locked down like Fort Knox inside the exercise room I have no idea but if you have a key you probably wouldn’t notice the inconvenience. On the plus side the equipment is all state of the art and plentiful!
Aside from the key issue and my coffee/tea amenities in my room not being replenished during my stay everything else was fine. Employees were courteous and friendly. Lobby bar has a nice atmosphere with a drink menu that is fun and creative. I highly recommend the basil lime gimlet for a refreshing treat!
Once they work through the opening hiccups they should be fine, but I'm still not sure the value is there for the hype I’ve heard over JW’s elsewhere.

• 2 of 5 stars
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Check in was quick and easy, there was a minor glitch with their computer system so they could not get room keys issued but they had a hotel staff person take me to my room. They called shortly and dropped off room key and during turn down service they left a little popcorn treat and a card to apologize for the room key glitch earlier which was not a big deal, but I appreciated the gesture. The hotel and restaurant staff (Ate at High Velocity) was very attentive and friendly. LOVED the floor to ceiling windows, had a high floor room with great views. The fitness center was the best of the hotel gyms in the area and the hot tub was great!

1 Thank peacepax
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Well done, JW! I felt welcomed and enjoyed my visit very much. The Executive Lounge was great and the staff was extremely friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

Check in went well and was given a room on the "B side" of the property overlooking the White River, and a few museums, a GM plant but not much else. The clerk walked me to the elevators but failed to tell me how to use my room key to access the floors above the third floor.
The place still smells new (a good thing my wife stayed home) and the room was well appointed. I particually liked the iHome radio where I docked my iPod for the duration of my stay. The wakeup phone links you to a real person and not an automatic system. The king bed was equipped with a down comforter with a spare blanket, I shed the comforter and just used the sheets and blanket.
You can hook your electronics up to the big flat screen through a panel of connectors, but I had to ask for the cords (no charge) even though the in-room literature said they were in the room, no big deal.
The bathroom was a little skimpy on towel racks so the vanity was a little buisy. They do have recycling recepticals in the room (too bad my wife couldn't be here to see them.
I only ate breakfast here, not a bad deal ($16.99), they even bring you your choice of newspapers.
I opted for the internet connection and chose the basic (slow) service which was very slow. The second day I paid the extra $3.00 and got the much better service.

1 Thank FleetGuy