“Did not meet expectations”

Iozzo's Garden of Italy
Reserve with OpenTable
Iozzo's Garden of Italy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 2,365 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Ray Street
Description: Originally established in 1930 Iozzo's Garden of Italy is the Newest Oldest Italian Restaurant in Indianapolis. The high quality menu features a mix of traditional Iozzo Family Italian fare along with a modern twist on Italian dishes.
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Did not meet expectations”
Reviewed January 31, 2010

My husband and I dined here 2 nights ago for our anniversary. I was expecting so much based on the reviews that I read prior to dining here. While the atmosphere and service were excellent, I am sad that the food did not live up to any of the expectations. The crab cake appetizer was just okay, but I do not fault them for this as we are in the Midwest...the best crab cakes in this city are at Oceanaire. The sauce that they serve along with the cakes contributed to their success-- it was good. Unfortunately, the meal went downhill from there. The house salad was a sad presentation of mixed dark green lettuce, a few chopped tomatoes, and unimpressive parmesan--I have better cheese at home. Entrees were even more disappointing--the scallops were unevenly cooked, asparagus burnt, and the potatoes with duck confit were just downright greasy. My husband's bone-in pork chop with amaretto reduction was okay-probably the best thing we ordered. Even dessert couldn't save this meal--I am a big fan of cheesecake and have eaten it all over the world--their mascarpone cheesecake was stiff and flavorless. Again, I was disappointed and hope I save someone a trip. Mama Corrolla's in Broad Ripple is a much better choice for authentic non-chain Italian.

1 Thank whatdouthink

Indiana
“Superb family business!”
Reviewed November 12, 2009

We dined at Iozzo's last evening and everyone's entrees were absolutely delicious! Our group had the lasagna, the bone-in pork chop, their famous spaghetti and meatballs, and a spinach pasta with sauce. Our dinners were accompanied by a basket of bread, a large house salad of mixed greens, and we shared an appetizer of a large stuffed mushroom. Everything was served hot and in large portions- so come hungry! Our servers were very attentive and we were greeted at the table by the owner's mother, which was very nice to visit with her and to hear all about the re-birth & renovations of this family restaurant. The restaurant is a very quaint establishment and has a lovely courtyard for outdoor dining. Iozzo's has only been open for 3 months but was packed for a Wednesday evening. Definately recommend reservations- especially for a large party. Kudo's to the Iozzo-Cummings Family!! Can't wait to return again!

Indianapolis
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Iozzo's Garden of Italy - One of my new favorites!”
Reviewed October 11, 2009

I'm a bit apprehensive about submitting this review. While I want other people to enjoy this fine establishment as much as I did, I don't want it to become so popular that I will need to make reservations weeks in advance! I had the good fortune of celebrating my recent birthday at Iozzo's. What a wonderful experience! My wife had the Chicken Diavlo (wonderfully spicy) and I had the Lasagna of the day (with pork). Both were great! The sauce is the kind you wish your mother had made! To compliment our wonderful meal was a very comfortable ambiance and superior service provided by Phil, our server/bartender. I am looking forward to my next visit to Iozzo's - I am taking a business associate to dinner there this next week!

Indianapolis
“Good new Italian”
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Iozzo's is a lively neighborhood Italian restaurant with a lovely, varied menu and excellent house wine. The place is small and gets loud, but there is also a charming courtyard in back.