“Do you love exploring food from other cultures??”
Review of Major Restaurant

Major Restaurant
Ranked #137 of 2,416 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you love exploring food from other cultures and live or visiting the Indianapolis, Indiana area then this place definitely needs to be on your list of ethnic restaurants to visit!!! Excellent service and food. Be prepared to eat with your hands (without utensils) if you want to truly experience the Ethiopian culture. If not, they will give you utensils to use. Servers were ready to assist patrons with recommendations on how to start their adventure into Ethiopian food. Food portions were generous. In addition too to great food, they have something that you can not get at your corner store, homemade Ethiopian honey wine made by the owners wife. That is an experience in its own. Not a sweet as one would think given that honey one of the two main ingredients. Ask for a free sample! They also serve other spirits from Ethiopia. Our server and the owner both came by to make sure we were happy with our selections.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

This was first attempt at "African" Cuisine and it won't be my last. Judging from other reviews, other African restaurants may be a let down.

Yes, this restaurant is in an unassuming strip mall that is easily bypassed. But if you find it, it's a welcome treat. Don't let the exterior fool you, inside the restaurant is very clean and well-kept. Decor is tasteful with an African vibe.

Service was quick and extremely courteous, as was expected during a late lunch ( there were only two other people and some take away clients during our meal.) If you don't like strong, Turkish style coffee, don't ask for it. If you do like it, be sure to get some as it was very good.

The menu is very diverse, something for nearly everyone. The only letdown of my meal was a spinach dish that used canned spinach. Other than that, the lamb was tender and everything else was very flavorful. I have always wanted to include more vegetables and beans in my cooking, the Major showed me it can be done without sacrificing flavor or fullness. With a big variety of food and the Injera (Enjera?) bread, I was very full but not stuffed. If I had eaten everything and not taken some with me, I would have been uncomfortably full.

The price was very reasonable and besides the canned spinach I mentioned, everything was very fresh tasting with a lot of spice, not a lot of heat. I wouldn't hesitate to return to this restaurant or recommend it to friends.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

The food delicious. The menu modestly priced. The service quick. Everything about the experince was excellent. Will return.

1  Thank Mesmerized-JS
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is my favorite indianapolis restaurant. The food is always fresh and delicious. The menu is diverse and modestly priced. They have excellent coffee. They roast the beans then bring them to the table for you to enjoy tasting or smelling them. The service is quick and they treat you like family. I have never had service that wasn't excellent here. This place is in an akward location in a neighborhood that looks a bit iffy. Looks can be deceiving though, and I always feel perfectly safe here.

1  Thank Lisa P
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Let me start by saying don't let the outside of this restaurant fool you - the food is amazing, and a great value. We went with our two small children (2 and 4) on a Friday night during a trip to Indianapolis. We were offered the (very cool) option of traditional dining style, with the wicker tables, but chose a regular table for an easier time with the kids.
There was a large group that arrived just before us, but the kitchen had no trouble keeping up with everyone's orders. As this was our second time trying Ethiopian food, we kept it pretty simple with the Sambusas (vegetarian & Beef), and the sampler platter with spicy beef, lamb, chicken, boiled egg, 3 types of lentils, pickled cauliflour and salad all served on Injera bread. All amazingingly good! My wife had the honey wine, and I had the St. George Ethiopian Beer (not on the menu, but available). If you like spice, ask and they will also bring you some sauce on the side.
Everything about the meal was excellent, and I left fuller than I can remember being in a very, very long time. When the bill came, I honestly thought they had left the drinks off or something, it was that reasonable. Definitely worth heading away from downtown for. Very close to the airport if you are staying out that way.

1  Thank Otowners