“Only Sit Down Restaurant at Airport”

Indy 500 Grill at Indianapolis International Airport
Ranked #1,445 of 2,394 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Fast Food, Grill
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had a party of four killing time at the airport for business. This restaurant was the only sit-down option. I asked the waitress for her recommendation. She suggested the fried pork tenderloin stacker sandwich. It was not good. The service was fine and the atmosphere a respite from the hustle of the airport. I would return but order something different.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Early for a morning flight, the agent at American steered me to the Indy 500 for breakfast, This grill is quiet and calm. The racing theme is consistent with Indy. The staff was attentive, the sausage and eggs were tasty, and they make an enjoyable Bloody Mary. I was impressed that lots of airport employees were eating there, making me think they might have a better knowledge of the restaurants available at the airport. All in all, a very good place to eat.

Reviewed May 16, 2011

I, flew out of Indianapolis International Airport shortly after the final meet-up of the Indianapolis Travbuddy Meet-up. We took the Marriottt Hotel shuttle from the Fair field Hotel by Marriott on the east side of Indianapolis to the airport. After a tip to the driver, Joanne and I, decided to have some Martinis while we waited for boarding time. Our attendant was a respectful quite guy who without a fuss agreed to make us lemon Martinis when we asked.

No sugar, was the request from the both of us. The delicious, cold, refreshing martinis kept coming for three rounds before 5:07 when Joanne had to go to her gate for check in. A recommended location should you find yourself at Indianapolis' International Airport.

1  Thank Africancrab
Reviewed February 1, 2010

My experience at the 500 Grill was better than the original review. I'm a sucker for motorsports-themed restaurants. And this place in convenient in the huge new atrium between the two terminals.

Yes, I did caught in a pricing gotcha. My waitress put the hard sell on their chocolate cake and I had time to kill before my flight so I obliged. The slice was huge and relatively tasty but the $4.99 price was nowhere on the menu that I saw and caught me off-guard. Guess I should have expected it in an airport.

Otherwise my experience was great. The Brickyard-themed place was a pleasant deviation from the non-distinct chain joints elsewhere in the airport.

They offered a bacon cheeseburger & a bleu cheeseburger. I asked for a bleu cheeseburger with bacon and was served up a great sandwich without being charged a penalty. The fries were excellent as well.

I'll likely stop again next time I'm in town on business .... just without the cake to avoid indigestion.

Reviewed August 26, 2009

Arriving at the airport at 6 PM for a 7:30 flight, I decided to have a light dinner and a glass of wine before the flight. I checked menus and prices around the center food hall and saw that wine prices ranged from $5.99 to $8.00 a glass. I came across Indy 500 Grill and they offered a "soup of the day" for $4.99, so I decided to stop in.
Service was fast and I got my bowl of soup and a small glass of house red wine. I also got the bill and nearly had a heart attack when I saw I was charged $12.00 for that little glass of wine!
I called the server over to question it, as I figured I had been charged for two glasses. But I was told no, the bill was correct. She said she and the rest of the workers hated the pricing tactics as much as anyone and gave me a number to call and complain.
Of course, I could never get through, but they did have an e-mail address. I wrote and complained about the "theft", as I feel that's what it was tantamount to. This is a shameful practice and I am warning others to stay far away from this eatery.

On the feedback card the server gave me, the corporate name was listed as SSP, the Food Travel Experts, and they are a global company with franchised locations. I plan to check before I enter any airport establishment in the future and make sure I do not patronize this company again.

1  Thank flahagan