“It doesn't get much better than this”

SpringHill Suites Indianapolis Downtown
Ranked #31 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Mattoon, Illinois
“It doesn't get much better than this”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

This hotel is by far one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed at. We were in town for RibAmerica Festival and it was within walking distance (around 3 blocks) which was very convenient. I was concerned from other reviews that parking was confusing. We didn't find that at all. We pulled right up to the hotel and a valet was there who gave us instructions. Parking was $20.00 if you do it yourself. We chose valet parking as it was only $5.00 more. Saved us the hassle. Check in was wonderful. Friendly and fast and very very helpful. The lobby is spacious and lovely. The rooms are the same. Beautiful and spacious. Decorated in springy colors. We had a sectional sofa in one part of the room with decorative throw pillows and a large flat screen T,.V. The beds were very comfortable and lots of pillows. Room also had refrigerator and microwave. Everything was clean clean clean. Not a speck of dirt. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. I also saw a review that said the fact that the Courtyard, Fairfield, and Springhill are all connected which makes it very confusing. I did not find it confusing at all. Everything is clearly marked where one starts and the other begins. Each has it's outside door so I didn't find it confusing at all. There is also a TGI Fridays connected to the Fairfield part of the building which was very convenient.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Rochester, Mi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

Brought my niece and her two young children to Indy to see the Zoo & Children's Museum. This was a great location for the Zoo and a short walk to the Monument Circle. Everyone was very impressed with Indy and with this hotel. The layout of the room worked out great for us--Everyone seemed to have a "private" place to change, etc. The kids spent a lot of time in the pool and it looked very cleam. Breakfast in the morning was very abundant. I appreciate the key-operated elevator and didn't find it difficult to use at all. In fact, the kids enjoyed activating it with the key. The hotel is located a little off the beaten path, but Indy's downtown is so vibrant, that we felt comfortable walking several blocks at night, as well as walking the canal. We used valet parking and found it quite convenient. We'll stay re again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

We visit family in Indy at least once a year. We normally stay at the Residence Inn on the Canal, but last time my kids complained about sharing the sleeper sofa and asked if there was a way they could each have their own bed. We chose the Springhill because it was the only hotel we could find with 2 queen beds + a fold-out couch. Also, it is part of the Marriott family so we got half our stay free with loyalty points.

The unexpected surprise was the stunning view of White River State Park from our 15th floor room. It did remind me of the reflecting pools in DC and was especially gorgeous at dusk and after-dark. Our room and entire hotel had nice furnishings. The beds were comfy, even the fold-out, which was separated from the other beds by an opaque screen.

The bathroom is split with a toilet and sink/mirror on one side of the closet and and shower and sink/mirror on the other side, both with sliding doors. This was very handy with a teen and tween girl.

We expected a continental breakfast and were pleasantly surprised that the there also hot items: eggs, sausage, oatmeal, and make-your own waffle. The breakfast line could be better organized as the waffles created a bottle-neck, but that wasn't a big deal since we weren't in a hurry.

You can easily walk to the canal, State Museum, Etiljorg, NCAA Hall of Champions, Victory Field, canal boat and surrey bike rentals, and even a couple of restaurants.
The cafe at the Etiljorg was very pleasant with indoor and outdoor balcony seating overlooking the canal. Zoo and glass gardens with butterflies are maybe a 5 minute drive.

The work-out room looks out to the small pool, which is handy for keeping an eye on older kids.

Parking is $20 self-park and $25 valet and I didn't see any affordable off-site parking options. While it is steep, it is in line with other Indy hotels downtown. It was a little tricky for family members to find as there are many Marriott properties in the area and it shares a building with the Courtyard. A good landmark is that it is just past the giant red check mark sculpture.

We missed the outdoor balcony and grill at the Residence Inn. My girls said that free cookies (like at Res. Inn) would have "enhanced their hotel experience". However, Springhill did offer free lollipops and free breakfast. Service was fine--no complaints. I admit Residence Inn was friendlier, probably since we have been going there for years and staff actually remember us from visit-to-visit.

At the risk of seeming disloyal to Res. Inn, I think we found a new favorite.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Austexfamily
Highland, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

Brand new, nicely decorated hotel situated right across the street from the Indiana State Museum. I liked the fact that there were two bathroom areas – one with a toilet and sink; the other with a vanity sink and tub/shower. Lines for breakfast were long since it is 17 stories and has the same basic set-up as the 3-story Springhill Suites I am used to.

The one problem I had was that upon return to the room at 4:45 our room had still not been cleaned and we had no new towels. We were going to get ready for dinner so I called down to report it. Never once did anyone I talked to (desk, cleaning supervisor) apologize – I just got “We have a full house and the maids work until 6 p.m. You need to understand.” Lots of excuses. I told them that answer was unacceptable and I needed towels right away. The towels did show up and at 5:15 the maid came. I sent her away since we were getting ready. That is poor service and someone needs to teach the staff to at least say “sorry” and diffuse the situation that way and then solve the problem. That night a note was in my room from the manager finally apologizing and giving me 5,000 Marriott Rewards points. Well, at least that was better.

On the whole, I would give them another chance, but they need to hire more cleaning staff. Not having a room cleaned by 5:30 is not acceptable by my standards.

• Stayed June 2010
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

This hotel is part of a new complex of Marriott properties and includes a (not yet open) JW Marriott, a Courtyard, and a Fairfield Inn in addition to the Spring Hill Suites. The JW is quite an impressive structure and looks like it will be a neat place to stay when it opens.

Our rooms on the 8th and 14th floors of the Spring Hill Suites both faced west, and thus had a great view of the park across the street. The hotel complex is on the far west side of downtown actually so there is really nothing to the west of here BUT the park, which is nice. A river runs through the park is well, and there is lots of nice places to walk. It appeared to be a very safe park to me, and I saw single women jogging, kids with their parents etc.

Washington Street, where the hotel is located, is a nice road to walk on if you're headed east into downtown. It's about a 15-minute walk to the soldier's memorial and the traffic circle. I would say it's a safe walk in the daytime for women, and the route passes by several government buildings, including the state capital.

Though they claim there is a TGI Friday's "on site" it's really next door at the (connected) Fairfield Inn, but requires either a short walk outside, or a longer walk through the parking garage to get to. The food and service were well worth the walk though. Both were excellent. Note that this restaurant is about the ONLY restaurant in the complex right now, though I assume the JW will have one once it opens. The Courtyard Marriott next door had a little "cafe" in the lobby, but I think it was mostly sandwiches and coffee, and not really a sit down place.

The rooms, as others have noted, are a bit strangely laid out, and there is not much room between the beds and the bathrooms/closets in each room. I did notice the handicapped rooms did not have this problem however as they must accommodate wheel chairs.

The non-handicapped rooms would probably be better for a solo traveler and are not laid out the same as other SHS's I've stayed in. I prefer the "older" version, which had a totally separate bedroom with its own door, T.V., and AC controls. The beds were very comfortable however in this one, though some few might find them a bit firm.

One thing I DID like about the rooms here was the extremely nice "work area." The desk was plenty big, plenty of plugs, and plenty of light. The divider window at the back of the desk between it and the "bedroom" could also be opened up if desired so you can look out the window. The chair is situated so you can turn slightly and watch the (one) T.V. while you work if desired.

I would agree with a previous reviewer that most of the rooms here are better situated for one person. Even with just one person however, the space between the bed and the oddly laid out bathrooms (one for showering...one with a toilet...and a closet in between) is still quite scarce.

One other "gripe" is the elevators, or "hellevators" as my brother called them. They require that you insert your room key in order to access any floor but the ground floor. If they are going to insist on this for security purposes, they should make the system more user-friendly as I, and several others, had trouble inserting the key correctly in order to get the elevators to move. Very much a hassle, especially when jet-lagged and arms full of luggage.

The staff at the hotel was excellent however, and "exceeded my expectations" at every turn.

I did not use the gym while there, but it looked better than most smaller hotels, and had some dumbbells for use as well I believe. Next to the gym was a fairly nice indoor pool as well.

They had several computers in the business center and a couple in the lobby for guests to use. The free Internet in the rooms was adequate, but if you wanted "fast" you had to pay $5 per day for that. I did, and it was pretty fast.

All in all a good hotel, but I probably wouldn't stay here again unless I really wanted to be by the park. This is due mostly to the room layout and the elevator difficulties.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mcstix
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2010

Stayed one night in early June. Great hotel - very hip and trendy and within walking distance of heart of downtown. Parking lot to hotel is a slight bit confusing, and there's one tiny indoor pool shared between 2 large hotel properties. But enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Manchester, NH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

Stayed here for 5 days for the NCAA Final Four. Decent location downtown although nearby construction made walking somewhat difficult. Large rooms with fridge a plus. Decent breakfast in the am. Note, was told I could catch the "green line" to the airport right in front of the hotel (it's $7 vs a $35 cab ride). Waited in the rain and never did see it. I'd stay here again, decent place for the price.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business