“Amazing!!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This place was so good, if you love Moroccan food or just want to try something different, this is the place to go! Highly recommended!

Visited May 2014

“Spectacular Moroccan restaurant”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I had forgotten how incredible this restaurant is. Although rather expensive, it is well worth it if you are looking for a fabulous meal (Moroccan or other). When it is crowded (as it frequently is), the service is understandably slow, but the food is worth the wait. We had one of the best meals we have had in Indy the other night. The paella was excellent, and the ahi tuna on saffron rice was very good, although we prefer the seared ahi to be very rare, even cold, in the middle. This was perhaps medium rare, which may appeal more to others. If we order it again, we will ask for it to be lightly seared. The spices used on the tuna were a fascinating complex mix of flavors. I'm impressed that this ethnic restaurant is in Indy; I would expect it in NYC or Chicago, rather than here.

As an aside, Tripadvisor categorizes this restaurant incorrectly as Indian. There is not a single Indian dish on the menu at this Moroccan restaurant.

• Visited April 2014
“Disappointed”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I want to like this place, I really do. But after a third disappointing time, I will not be returning. The pros of this place: it is the only Moroccan restaurant that I know of in Indianapolis. The decor is charming, and I like to support locally-owned places. The menu is unique (due to it being the only Moroccan place) and I love the tiramisu (which uses Moroccan coffee instead of Kahlua, so they say). The first time I went, Saffron Cafe was very new, so I excused the poor service and too-mild food to inexperience. The second time I went for lunch and just ordered their Moroccan tea (which is lovely), the Antipasto Plate, and Tiramisu. This time, the service was great and I decided the place had redeemed itself (of course, it is difficult to mess up mezas). The other day, I returned a third time. After being seated, two other tables were seated, given drinks, and put in orders before we even received water or a greeting. The owner offered us upgrades on meals (which we did not take) and free dessert (which we did) for waiting so long, which was awesome, and she told us she would be serving us. However, the next oops came during our appetizer, when there were huge chicken bones (finger-length) sticking out of our Bastilla. I actually nearly choked on a smaller one before discovering it. She said while there ARE usually small ones in the pastry, there should not be big ones, and she took it away. For dinner, my husband had the Tajine Lamberel, which promised lightly breaded eggplant but instead had pureed eggplant goop with under-seasoned lamb. I had the Lamb Honey, their most popular dish, which I enjoyed. For dessert, the tiramisu was not as good as I remembered, and the Moroccan coffee turned out to be drip coffee with cinnamon. The owner did her best to come back after a poor service experience; unfortunately, the food as a whole was not good enough to bring this place above water for me. Chicken bones hidden in a pastry are gross, if not outright dangerous.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Jaclyn T
Carmel, Indiana
“NOT LIKED IT”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Yep, its what it says.. I have experienced better and this one is not any close. Serving was friendly and attentive and the ambience was quiet. But what is missed is what we were there for. Hummus which was too much flavored with spices, peta bread that wasnt so great and on trays which were not quite right for our taste. I have had much better food for lesser price. Yes, it was pricy too. Overall, it was just about average experience.

• Visited February 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Go the distance and eat here !”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

If you live north, south, east, west or are visiting Indy, go the distance and eat here. It's very close from the center of downtown and has plenty of street parking / parking lots available. The waitress (owner's wife?) came to our table all smiles, very friendly and saw that we had a Groupon immediately. She embraced the coupon as if it were the magic ticket (instead of making us feel cheap) and helped us choose our 3 course meal with suggestions and no pressure to up-sell. She let us know that we could work with our dining selections for the difference in price, which gave us more options to choose from. The atmosphere was low light and had Mediterranean music, which helped drown out any awkward conversations from the tables nearby, but wasn't too loud. The waitress let us know that we were not going to go home hungry and boy was she right ! The appetizers we ordered were awesome. The Muscles were in a wine / cream sauce that was so good that you had to soak up the excess with some crusty bread that they brought to the table. The Antipasto plate with the Spinach and the Eggplant were excellent and the mix of spices were perfect. The Cumin Chicken Tajine was so tender and juicy with the flavors combined in the tajine pot at the bottom. Can't say enough good about this place and I'm pretty picky and have tried lots of types of food. This is a gem in the Indianapolis restaurant scene !

• Visited February 2014