“Portions are Huge and the Service is Excellent!”
Review of Saffron Cafe

Saffron Cafe
Ranked #289 of 2,363 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Indy
“Portions are Huge and the Service is Excellent!”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We visited the Saffron Cafe for the first time this week, and we were blown away. We purchased a Groupon for 1 bottle of wine, 1 appetizer, 2 entrees, and a dessert for $49 (a steal!) and was the motivation behind going. The atmosphere is like a small, home kitchen in the Moroccan desert, but with fine dining service. Our waitress, I believe her name was Anna, was very sweet and friendly. What impressed me most was her extensive knowledge of the menu. She had the answers to all of our questions. We started with the mussels appetizer, and truthfully, it was so huge it could have served as an entree by itself. I got the lamb tijine, and the lamb was so tender and flavorful. My girlfriend ordered the chicken marsala, and we joked the entire night about her getting an entire chicken. We were so stuffed halfway through the meal, we had Anna package up the meal and our dessert to go. She marked every box with the name of the meal and the date!! Though the prices were a little expensive, they were well worth it for the enormous portions you get. If we return without a Groupon, we would likely order just one entree to split. The only downside was limited parking. We will definitely return!!

• Visited March 2013

Carmel, Indiana
“Excellent Dinner on March 12 Moroccan Food”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We visited the restaurant for the first time last evening with friends not knowing what to expect and our expectations were exceeded. We really enjoyed picking from the extensive menu . The appetizers were varied in nature . The lamb and seafood dishes were fantastic especially the lamb tagine. Our waiter was one of the friendliest we have encountered at any restaurant.
The prices for food and wine was very reasonable given the quality of the food and the portion sizes.

• Visited March 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Tasty lunch takeout”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Tried the shwarma sandwich with a salad and a side of hummus for lunch. The sandwich with the spicy sauce was very good, soft pita, moist and well-cooked gyro meat. The salad dressing was good. Hummus average, but certainly not bad. The rest of my group seemed to enjoy their meals as well. Price was reasonable for lunch. Will definitely eat here again at some point.

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Always a good dining experience”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I eat out a lot and this is my favorite restaurnat in the city. As a person that is very particular about certain foods being mixed, oddly enough, I love the appitizer that mixes oranges, avacado black olives and Morrocan seasoning - which sounds like a very odd combination, but is delicious! It is always a special on the weekends and is usually available during the week if requested. My husband and I share as a salad. My other favorite is the lamb and eggplant tagine. I have tried other dishes but keep going back because the flavors are just so wonderful. Finally, the baklava is the best I've ever tasted. We also love seeing Annie (wife of owner and chef) when we visit. She is a delightful person along with being an excellent server & host.

• Visited February 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great authenic Moroccan food....”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Had a lovely meal at Saffron Cafe.. started with soup, then had Kafta and a Lamb tagine.. service was great and very friendly .. Wife of owner waited on us. Meet her husband the chef too. He actually still goes around and talks to all the customers at the tables. Not too many restaurants still do that.. Ended our meal with traditional mint tea. Would definately go back, when in the area agian. Decorated with moroccan tiles, and tagine's everywhere, beautiful lighting. Food was amazing ... dinner for two cost us under 100.00 with tip included, 3 drinks, 2 appetizers. two main entree, one dessert, mint tea for two.

• Visited February 2013