“made me want to get on a airplane”
Review of Saffron Cafe

Saffron Cafe
Ranked #130 of 2,448 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Oh what a pleasant surprise this restaurant was. went if friend on a week night, had reservation for hour and a half before our play started, waiter was on the ball so we would get out on time. restaurant is small, only 11 or 12 tables, so reservation is probably best bet... beautiful decor and the smells were intoxicating... waiter was very friendly and explained everything in detail, kind of annoying when it took 20 min for him to read menu to you but if you don't know anything about Moroccan food it would be helpful. ... You must try the Zaalouk, its a roasted eggplant dip, best thing ever, not a fan of eggplant but i would eat this again and again... I had Lamb Tajine, which was very traditional and nice and Brothy, 20$, enough for you to share if you had a side of rice or something. my fiend had honey Lamb ( sweet but so good), and we split rice.... very good food, great beer (spanish not Moroccan). we both had leftovers, which is ok, its worth eating the next day.. saw people eating desert ( they had shared plates), must have it next time.. cheesecake looked like heaven , felt like we were in Morocco right downtown indy.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Visited the Saffron Cafe after reading the rave reviews posted on TA. Awfully glad I did. Previous comments about parking are spot on as the 1st question, Joel, our server asked was....'to make sure you enjoy your visit, I need to ask you where you parked?' While it's well posted, we were told the tow trucks stay awfully busy.
The restaurant is rather small...but intimate. The restaurant has no bar or much of an area to wait for a table so a reservation is a must. Joel greeted us prompted, was very professional and provided great service. Food was off the chart. Our table had lamb kabobs, shawrama and and the Kafta Tajine. All was wonderful. A nice touch was Chef Sentissi visited most of the tables and even sat in with the lute player playing a Moroccan drum. All while running a great kitchen. Do yourself a big favor...make a reservation and go. You won't regret it.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Parking is abhorrent. Be careful not to park in someone else's lot. They Tow! From the outside this establishment is decorated in a manner to remind me of Morocco. The website is also really interesting. Once inside, it alo feels like North Africa. The women's room is nicely appointed. There are Tagines on the counter. They are pulled into the kitchen when needed to serve. The chef is Moroccan and loves to talk about his heritage and food.
I have dined here sevral times and alway enjoyed it. Entre's are plentiful. The mint tea is tasty and served in the traditional manner. The ginger chicken tagine is my favorite. THere is an appetizer that I think the world of - seasoned ground meat in a puff pastry. I am not as fond of their desserts as appetizers and entree's.
The service is intermittant. One of the waiters gives very bad service. Two of the wait staff are superior.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

excellent..been here three times and each time had different food but all was delicious...my favorite are the fish skewers..always excellent. Nice, low key but romantic atomosphere..go here, you can't go wrong.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Saffron is really cool...painted and decorated like North Africa.
Tasty meals and great service!
Quite atmosphere.