“Great Food SLOW Service”
Review of Saffron Cafe

Saffron Cafe
Ranked #289 of 2,363 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Indiana
“Great Food SLOW Service”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

This is simple. The food is great the service is SLOW!!! I go here periodically for lunch because I love the food. The only real Moroccan place in town.

1 Thank Profguy

Whitestown, Indiana
“A hidden, delicious gem of a restaurant.”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Dined at Saffron for our "post-valentines" dinner. The two of us went on a Saturday night and had a reservation for 7PM. There was no table available for us at this tiny restaurant (maybe 10-12 tables). The hostess said many tables were outstaying their 2 hour reservation. She kindly agreed to call me when a table became available, so we went next door to Elbow Room to have a drink. At around 7:30 she called me back and we walked back over.

I am not very nit-picky about these kinds of things but I know some would have been.

There was live entertainment (man playing Morrocan-style acoustic music) and it was very nice. I wish I would have had cash to tip him with.

The waiter was very attentive and told us about their many specials. We ordered all specials (Crab cake, seafood paella, and a Morrocan steak). They were all absolutely delicious. I wish I would have asked the prices before ordering but they were very well worth the price. ($16, $45, and $30 accordingly above). Everything we ordered was absolutely excellent. Crab cake had great seasoning, seafood paella was amazing, and my steak was extremely flavorful with great presentation.

We did order a bottle of Riesling from their short wine list that was very good. We did not have desert but the lady had a glass of their tea which was very good (and I don't like tea).

Next time I would definitely inquire about the price of the specials but I don't regret dropping $153 for the level of service, quality of food, and ambiance that we experienced. I will absolutely be back in the future and will tell everyone I know about this place.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank shafeman556
Indy
“Saffron is just ok.”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

The tea is excellent. Food is just average. I would not rush back for their food. Quaint dining room.

1 Thank Cwynn
Indianapolis
“A good experience”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I had been hesitant to stop into the Saffron Cafe only because I missed the former cafe which operated from this location for many years. After deciding to finally give it a try, I was pleased with the dining experience.

We stopped in for a mid-week lunch. Both the exterior and interior have undergone an upgrade and they have made good use of space with the enclosed seating area outside the front door. The hummus was nothing special but the kefka tagine was very tasty. I would have preferred fresh peas to cooked frozen ones, though.

The service was a bit slow but they were operating with only one waiter, which may have explained the slight delays. Overall, I thought it was a nice change of pace from the normal downtown fried lunch fare and I would go back again to try some of the other items on the menu.

1 Thank DrJ6
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“20% mandatory tip”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

The food is good. The service was marginal -- and I was shocked to see a MANDATORY 20% tip. I never saw my waitress after she took my order, and she dashed off so fast after I gave her the order, I could not ask about one of the dishes.

The place is definitely overpriced -- even if you drop off the 20%.

It does seem to be a popular place. Parking is a problem.

1 Thank QQ1234