“Excellent, we'll go again.”
Review of Saffron Cafe

Saffron Cafe
Ranked #254 of 2,416 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Address should read 621 Ft. Wayne Ave, Indy. Arrived at 4pm on a Saturday in June and had first dibs on a table. The waiter Drew was very informative about the food, cooking methods, seasonings and variety of the dishes. My husband had the Moroccan Steak special ($29.95) and I had the Paella ($26.95). Generous portions and I had to bring half my meal home. Sometimes we encounter food that is cooked with too much salt, but not here. The tiramisu was freshly made and great. It's a small place so seating is limited as is parking. This place is surrounded by residential buildings so you need to park on the street where there are meters and not in the lots around the building. But, Free parking on weekends. I read the reviews here on TA so was not disappointed with anything. If you want to eat between 6-8, you may not get in. We will return. We're always looking for good value when it comes to food and were very pleased here.

Reviewed June 15, 2011

This place has great food, great staff, very reasonalbel prices. Worth stopping in to try.

Reviewed May 31, 2011

The atmosphere really ads to the overall experience. It really is like visiting another country, if only for an hour. The food is an experience to itself. If you like to try other cuisines then rush right over and enjoy the different tastes.

The owner came over to our table to check on us. How cool is that? You don't see that every day. The whole restaurant has a very ethnic and real world feel that just ads to the whole taste of the meal.

We did not go on the day of the belly dancing but I'm sure we will be checking back for that as well. Very happy with the experience.

Reviewed April 16, 2011

The cuisine is fairly authentic Moroccan. The bastila is probably the best I have had in the US -- maybe the best anywhere. The tajines are just OK. You need to order couscous separately. The service is excellent and very friendly indeed. Ask for Shak or Chris. The owner comes around to be sure all is well. Definitely recommended.

Hard to find parking.

Reviewed March 19, 2011

A friend and I were in Indy on a Monday and decided to try Saffron Cafe for lunch.
Parking was a little tricky as the lots around it are posted for apt. residents--and will tow. We were able to easily park on the street as we were early (11ish). I overheard customers say later that they had circled the block.
We'd never dined on Moroccan food before, but our waiter was helpful.
We started with soups: Harrira for my friend and Lentil for me. Both were absolutely yummy! -- a full bowl size too.
For entrees, I ordered the tilapia tajine, and my friend ordered the honey chicken tajine. Both were divine! The warm and crusty bread helped make sure none of the delicious broth went to waste.
For dessert we shared a piece of the marscapone cheese cake--a huge slice.
It was a wonderful lunch! I can't wait to return and bring my husband along!