“Like being in Morocco”

Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Indy
“Like being in Morocco”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

The atmosphere really ads to the overall experience. It really is like visiting another country, if only for an hour. The food is an experience to itself. If you like to try other cuisines then rush right over and enjoy the different tastes.

The owner came over to our table to check on us. How cool is that? You don't see that every day. The whole restaurant has a very ethnic and real world feel that just ads to the whole taste of the meal.

We did not go on the day of the belly dancing but I'm sure we will be checking back for that as well. Very happy with the experience.

• Visited April 2011

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best bastila in the US”
Reviewed April 16, 2011

The cuisine is fairly authentic Moroccan. The bastila is probably the best I have had in the US -- maybe the best anywhere. The tajines are just OK. You need to order couscous separately. The service is excellent and very friendly indeed. Ask for Shak or Chris. The owner comes around to be sure all is well. Definitely recommended.

Hard to find parking.

• Visited April 2011
Westfield, Indiana
“First visit but not my last!”
Reviewed March 19, 2011

A friend and I were in Indy on a Monday and decided to try Saffron Cafe for lunch.
Parking was a little tricky as the lots around it are posted for apt. residents--and will tow. We were able to easily park on the street as we were early (11ish). I overheard customers say later that they had circled the block.
We'd never dined on Moroccan food before, but our waiter was helpful.
We started with soups: Harrira for my friend and Lentil for me. Both were absolutely yummy! -- a full bowl size too.
For entrees, I ordered the tilapia tajine, and my friend ordered the honey chicken tajine. Both were divine! The warm and crusty bread helped make sure none of the delicious broth went to waste.
For dessert we shared a piece of the marscapone cheese cake--a huge slice.
It was a wonderful lunch! I can't wait to return and bring my husband along!

• Visited March 2011
Champaign, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful meal, staff and atmosphere”
Reviewed November 28, 2010

We stumbled upon Saffron Café after being intrigued by the exterior of the building. We were simply delighted with the food, atmosphere and staff. We had an order of the hummus with pita bread that was delicious and then I ordered the Couscous Tfaya and my husband ordered the Lamb Tajine. The Coucous Tfaya was wonderful and unexpected. It had a saffron honey broth combined with the couscous, raisins and chickpeas --- tasted similar to a wonderful bowl of pourridge that you can’t get enough of! My husband thoroughly enjoyed his Lamb Tajine.

We had spent the entire day at the Children’s museum with our 6 yr old and 3 yr old before going to Saffron Café for dinner. Although it is a more intimate setting, the staff welcomed our overtired children and seemed to enjoy families dining at their restaurant.

My only regret is that we live 2 hours away and won’t be able to go as often as I’d like!! If you like unique and really good food, you should try this restaurant.

1 Thank 4fromChampaign
Indianapolis, Indiana
“One of the better places we've tried...”
Reviewed September 29, 2010

One of the better places we've tried since moving to Indy. We'll definitely be back. Lamb honey in the tajine was so tender and sweet! Their steak special was also very tasty and flavorful but a bit pricey. Compared to all the other overpriced steak places in Indy it was a good value

1 Thank soleilk