“Nice Rooms. The Rest is OK.”

Hyatt Place Indianapolis Airport
Ranked #22 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
stevepd96
“Nice Rooms. The Rest is OK.”
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Like other renovated Hyatts, the lobby is nice and rooms are spacious. I love the large LDC TV and living room. Fridge was a plus (but no microwave?). Bed is comfortable. The lobby seemed to smell a bit. The pool was large, but nothing special. Overall impressed with the rooms, but I was expecting a nicer hotel/location considering all the great reviews.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Maryland
Reviewed May 6, 2009

This hotel recently installed new digital thermostats on the HVAC units. The highest you can set it is 75 degrees. So if the unit thinks the room is warm enough, you had better agree. You have no way to make it warmer. Most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I can't tell you how ofter I've shivered at this hotel during the winter months. Bring your sweaters, ladies!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Louisville, KY
Reviewed March 28, 2009

My family of 5 stayed overnight in this hotel because we had to catch an early flight at the Indy Airport. They have a special stay, park & fly deal that was very appealing to us. Upon arrival, I was greeted by two smiling gals at the front desk. They had our reservation & keys ready for our arrival. The business model for this chain should take over the entire midrange of extended stay business hotels!!! I was blown away by the thoughtful details that this hotel employs. They have 24 hour snack kiosks in the lobby where you can order food, snacks, etc.... They have huge 42 inch plasma tv's in the hotel rooms. They have a huge couch in the room with a pull out, very comfortable bed. Large comfortable beds. The shuttle in the morning was very organized and timely. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends/family and will definitely stay there again myself.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Urbana, IL
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Room (2 queens and corner couch that folded into a sofabed) was perfect for our 9 and 11 year old. The partition between sleeping and living areas helped give the sense of more space. Kids were impressed with the 42' HDTV - we were able to plug in our portable DVD player to watch a movie (could have plugged in a gaming system as well!). Sink, little fridge, and coffee maker was nice (having free Starbucks coffee in the AM was even nicer). Had the complimentary breakfast, which was more of the typical "not-that-impressive but adequate to get you going" (they had that "bottled" fruit rather than fresh). Didn't try the things to order.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Illinois
Reviewed February 11, 2009

We had an early flight the next morning and drove in from Illinois the evening prior. The hotel staff was very helpful and accomodating. Kara, the Assistant General Manager gave us her business card that also included the hotel phone number and gave us instructions for our return shuttle from the airport. Since we were leaving our car parked at the hotel during our trip, Kara was very helpful with parking as well as informing us of the morning shuttle and continental breakfast. The hotel was clean and neat, our room was very nice, the beds comfy, or as my daughter says, "fluffy beds" and the room was equipped with a large flat screen tv and ports for a laptop into the tv. The next morning the breakfast buffet was ready before 6am. Selena made sure the fruit, bagels, cereal, coffee and juice was ready for early morning travelers, which we really appreciated. Hyatt Place was a great place to stay, had a super shuttle to and from the airport with a wonderful continental breakfast in clean and neat surroundings. We will definitely stay at Hyatt Place again. One note, we made our reservation through buyreservations.com and got an overnight stay and 2 weeks of parking and shuttle for $89. GREAT PRICE for a GREAT HOTEL!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Wisconsin
Reviewed January 11, 2009

After a super-friendly check-in (I wish I had the clerk's name, since she was the only good one we encountered) we were quite pleased with the room. The design is inspired and we really liked the separate sitting area with the sectional couch, as well as the nice little work desk. The mini-fridge and sink area were also a big plus (although our fridge didn't cool sodas much beyond room temperature even overnight).

The downside here was the "Gallery Host" concept in which the front desk clerks are also responsible for getting drinks and preparing snacks and hot food 24/7. In theory this is great -- we were delighted that we'd be able to get meals and snacks in the evening, right at the hotel. But the front desk people seemed really to dislike this part of their job and, in our stay, treated it as a nuisance and a bother.

Hyatt Place has a great free continental breakfast set out buffet-style (as well as hot items for purchase). But, again, its success is dependent on staff. On our two mornings there the front desk clerk was deep in conversation with the shuttle driver before, during, and after breakfast, not refilling items in the breakfast area, clearing plates, or cleaning up spilled food from previous guests. Another morning a second clerk was shouting across the lobby to her colleague about some sort of custody or childcare problem.

On check-out, a woman I assume was the manager (she wasn't wearing the sweater-set uniform of the other clerks) gave us a really hard time about a food item on the bill that we asked to have removed (it wasn't ours). Considering the many other items on the bill, most more expensive, that we weren't disputing, I was surprised at her response: she insisted mistakes were "impossible" because of their automated system. Our overall bill was several hundred dollars, so why she wanted to go five rounds about a $4 charge was beyond me.

Again, we really liked the rooms and the breakfast, as well as the WiFi and the fitness room, but this was a pretty lame staff all around, with the exception of our young check-in clerk and a friendly airport shuttle driver. I'm not sure if we would stay here again or not, but I hope the management can get up to speed and get everyone on-board with the Hyatt Place "concept," which is indeed super and creative.

• Liked — neat room design, free Wi-Fi, fitness, breakfast
  • Disliked — lackluckster staff, being treated like a nuisance and an interruption
  • Stayed December 2008
1 Thank jengaworld
Portland
Reviewed January 5, 2009

I stayed at this hotel twice in December 2008 for one night each time. The only glitch for me was the first night I waited half an hour in the cold for the shuttle at the airport. On my second visit I was picked up by the shuttle very quickly. The room was very clean and spacious. I am a light sleeper but was able to sleep soundly as there was very little outside noise that was audible. The breakfast was good with a nice variety of options. The staff even drove me to a local restaurant and came back and picked me up when I was finished. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Not right at the airport since the new airport opened.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo