“Historic = old” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #109 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Seward, Nebraska
“Historic = old”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

The location was great, however the hotel was just not my style. It is a historic hotel but it just seemed old. My room smelled like my grandma's basement. I had to stay here due to the hotel offering a reduced rate for a conference I was attending. I wondered if anyone else stayed at the hotel as I only saw other guests on my 3rd night there. The A/C unit in my room was insanely loud which make sleeping a bit hard. Also, there is a dress code so beware of that. All that said, the staff was extremely helpful. If I visit Indy again I will pick somewhere else to stay a bit more modern.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Very disappointing stay. Old fashioned rooms with old wiring that has been painted over!!! Awful room that smelt of stale smoke. Very stiff place with old fashioned out of touch values!! No thanks.

Travelers are raving about these Indianapolis hotels

Highland Park, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

True to history, the main rooms were absolutely stunning and lovingly kept up. The sleeping rooms were tight, dated, and a little yucky. I was at a conference, so I barely spent any time in my room. It met my needs. The room service was quite reasonable, as was the restaurant. The service was impeccable, except for the wake up call that was 1/2 hour late. That day, it was ok though as we were just leaving. Views were also pretty of the circle.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank R0cky3
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Location, location, location. And then add a historic building with an original interior, and you get real character. But maybe it's just me, I don't like a hotel to tell me how to dress. Being an old hotel, the rooms are small and the a/c noisy. Then there's the price. Three blocks away, I can have a suite for $100 a night, including breakfast. This room cost me twice that, and that's poor value. My advice, make sure you're wearing a collared shirt, wander in purposefully, look around and admire, then go stay somewhere else.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank AnotherEnglishman
Florence, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Paper thin walls, told to take off ball cap, told I couldn't bring a bottle of wine in, not told 20% tip was already added when I tipped at the bar (yes that's a 40% tip) and to top it off I had $190 of charges on the bill that we're not mine. While the management has acknowledged that fact, I have yet to be reimbursed from the stay 3 weeks ago.
Stay Away

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Craig G
Lanai, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I was in Indianapolis recently for a social event. Even though I didn't stay at Columbia Club I ended up spending time there because most my friends were guests.

The Club is absolutely beautiful, classic and historic. I spend several times at the bar which is the focus of this review. The bar is not huge but very nice and intimate. The liquor and wine offerings are great and the team is hesitantly attentive but not engaging to the degree I would've expected from a place that survives from memberships.

The front employees however are extremely engaging. Always acknowledge me even though I wasn't staying there and were prompt to open doors and ensure they offered help with transportation. Perhaps this team should spend time with the borderline grumpy bartenders.

Cheers!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I utilized this hotel as my son is a member. I was in town for the weekend during the NCAA basketball tournament. Indianapolis was hopping. The Columbia Club was calm.
Anyway....I loved The Columbia Club! I valet parked my car and checked into my 9th floor room. The lobby area is very stately and elegant. There is a dress code....not too hard to adhere to. The room was large. I was on a corner so had two Windows. It was well appointed, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was HUGE. We had drinks at the bar, and I had a light breakfast in the restaurant. Every employee I came in contact with was kind and courteous. I would love to stay here again!

Room Tip: I had a lovely view of Monument Circle