“Happily surprised”

Ranked #107 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Chicago, Illinois
“Happily surprised”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I tried to book a room at virtually every hotel in downtown Indianapolis, but all of the hotels were already filled. I told my problems to a business colleague who was a member of the Columbia Club, and offered to book a room for me there. I went on-line to read the reviews, and was apprehensive about staying there because so many were negative.

Nonetheless, I was desparate to be downtown and booked the room at the Club. I was pleasantly surprised. The best way to reconcile the wildly divergent reviews is to make sure that you request a deluxe room on the deluxe floors, which are the 8th and 9th floors. My room was, in fact, renovated and very nice. It had a very comfortable king bed, a huge bathroom and, again to my surprise, free internet in the room. The room charge for the deluxe room was only $98 per night, compared to the $250 or so that an ordinary business hotel like the Hilton or Sheraton would charge. My room was clean and the service was fine. The place is very quiet with little activity.

All in all, this place is fine (if a bit stuffy) if you are seeking a nice room in a well-located downtown hotel at a really modest price. Just make sure to book the deluxe floor.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank dpster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I was a bit apprehensive to make a reservation after reading some of the reviews but I'm glad I decided to go ahead. I spent three very enjoyable days at the Columbia Club and the room was perfect. I stayed on the 8th floor, which had been totally renovated in a double bed room that was a good size with a beautiful bath. The A/C was a little loud but not annoying.
You just can't beat the breakfast for price, choice, service and setting. And the staff was was polite and friendly, making you feel very much at home, rather than just another paying public guest intruding on private territory.
I met a couple of club members over drinks in the handsome bar room and got some insights on the city and its character.
The formal dining room was a delight. I invited a couple of friends for dinner and we were all happy with the meal and the service. There was no piped in music thumping in the background and you could actually carry on a conversation. It is also pleasant to stay in a hotel/club where there is a standard of dress and people seem to enjoy showing up in public for drinks and dinner in something other than a tee shirt and sneakers. Really, when did it become an inconvenience to appear in public dressing like you cared about how you looked to yourself and others!
I'm happy to give the Columbia Club high marks all 'round.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank 444daisy
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I am currently staying at the Columbia Club and this is my first trip to Indianapolis. The location is the best in town. The lobby is simply beautiful. This is a private club that lets rooms - I prefer to stay at clubby hotels - ie, Harvard Club in NYC, Sloane in London. I would take this over a typical westin any day of the week. I asked for a renovated room and it is smaller than a "marriott" room, but is just as nice. The common areas are as good as it gets. The best part of this hotel is the price - they dont charge for internet. I had a fantastic room service breakfast, no service charge, no tipping allowed and it was $12 - same meal would have been $35 at a westin. You are allowed to use the members gym which is fine - full service locker rooms, pool, etc. I travel 150,000 miles a year and stay in hotels 75+ nights a year. This is the first "diamond in the rough" I have found in 2011 and can 100% reccommend this hotel - especially for business travelers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank bladams79
Portland, Indiana
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I stayed here for 4 days while I was in town for business this month. There were a few events going on, so I searched for a hotel, and the Columbia Club was one of few available. After looking at some of the reviews, I was a little hesitant. That said, I think some of the reveiwers are a little off base. First off, the lobby is dripping with history, with a lot of beautiful woodwork and old paintings, etc. The lady at the check in was pleasant, and got me my room quick. The rooms are a little dated, but I was on one of the last two floors to be renovated (I was told the others have been). The bed was nice, the thermostat worked very well, and the windows (GASP!) opened! I ate at the restaurant on the third floor, and was very nice. I also had a good experience with the valet service, as they were efficient and very friendly. The only thing that keeps me from going 5 stars was, as I stated earlier, the room was a little dated and the parking (25 per day, even though it is a downtown) was a little high.

Give it a try, it has a dynamite location, there is some history there, and the rooms are pretty nice. If you want the Marriott, go for it, but dollar for dollar, The Columbia goes farther...

Room Tip: Avoid the 5th and 7th floors. Ask for a circle vw
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Josh G
boston
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Basic rooms, nice comfortable downstairs club. Good restaurant and bar. Contrary to other reviews, I found room very clean. A bit dated maybe, but clean. Staff was very helpful. I liked the fact that it was not your basic business hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Frankfort, Illinois
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I was here on a trip to a convention in Indianapolis, was booking last minute, and it was the only place on hotels.com that was anywhere near $100 (jacked up prices around the whole downtown due to everyone trying to get a room). I didn't have a lot of options if I wanted a location to walk to the convention, but was hesitant to book after reading TripAdvisor. Went for it, because if I've dealt with $29 motel rooms before for a night, and this really couldn't be that bad.

And it wasn't. I was shocked after getting up to my room on how negative the reviews were. The room was not recently renovated, but was perfectly clean. The bathroom tiles were old, but no worse than staying over at my grandmother's house or some of my friends' houses. The linens and pillows were perfectly fine, the TV was fine, the desk and lighting was great ... no issues. The room was ... a hotel room. Maybe some people want more out of it, but if I can relax, watch TV, sleep, shower, and work, what else do I need out of a room?

Like others have said, this is a "club" that also has hotel rooms, and the lobby area is gorgeous. Was busy and didn't go much elsewhere besides the room and lobby.

If you're a solo traveler staying on business, and your only concern is location (GREAT LOCATION!), a place to sleep and work, this is perfect. Wouldn't take my family here (not the right atmosphere), but it also seemed upscale and professional, and the biggest annoyance I have with staying at hotels are the loud people in the room next door and in the hallways. This is NOT the place where those people would stay.

Parking was $25 a night, valet, which is reasonable for the idea. No problem checking out at 10a and then getting my car near 4 after the conference was over for the day. Services was all positive.

In the end, The Columbia Club gave me everything I need out of a hotel room with no problems whatsoever, no negatives at all, and the only reason I could knock it down is that there wasn't anything great about the rooms.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 20, 2011

We were spoken down to numerous times while at the "club" for the 2 nights. We were then charged for smoking in the room (all non smokers). We were also charged for valet both nights (we valeted ONE night). We were told to LEAVE a floor and "linger somewhere else" due to a private party that was coming.....we were waiting for the elevator. Security came into our room and took pictures of "damage" and we were escorted out when we asked about the charges.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank dougy33

Travelers are raving about these Indianapolis hotels