“The PERFECT Romantic Getaway!”

Sybaris Indianapolis
Seymour, IN
“The PERFECT Romantic Getaway!”
Reviewed March 27, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Sybaris one year ago in Feb. 2009 and went back...we WILL go again and again. This is the perfect romantic getaway. I can go on and on...but nothing can express the "awesome-ness" of this place. My husband is in NO way a romantic, but his quote on the Sybaris was this..."It was like a dream trip". It was so nice to just close all the world and worries outside and go in and just be in the moment with your spouse...we absolutely loved it! We give it a 6 Stars rating (and yes better than 5)!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jadedsheba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
US
Reviewed March 2, 2010

My husband booked a surprise one night at the Sybaris in Indianapolis, IN for our romantic getaway for my birthday and it has been an awful experience. We ended up not staying there at all, because the room we had was just so terrible- the carpet was burned out,old and had stains all over, the bed was hard as a rock and had dirty sheets on it, the lighting was so dim, we had to turn all the lights to be able to see anything, the fixtures and appliances are very similar to those used in the 60s-70s, the bathroom had hair in it and the kitchen sink had a white stain in it.
I am a hospitality industry professional and I know how things are supposed to be- they were not. My husband was misguided by the images on the website that show a renovated and luxurious place- this was the opposite. The pool was nice, but everything else was horrible. Do not stay there, no matter what the testimonial say. We ended up staying at a Hilton Garden Inn with a Jacuzzi in our room and we had a great time! This Sybaris was one step away from being a dump. They do charg fees like a 5* hotels, the only difference is that you get a 1* room and service. Good luck with travel hunting!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
14 Thank thetraveler_101809
Jeffersonville, IN
Reviewed November 9, 2009

After coming home from our destination wedding my new husband and I went to Sybaris for some time alone. It was awesome. The room had a pool, jetted tub, suana, movie channels, with no phone to call in. If you would like time alone for a romantic getaway this is your place. My only complaint is that the beds were hard. We both like softer beds.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviewed August 11, 2009

For our 22nd wedding anniversary, my wife and I decided to hit up Indianapolis for a weekend trip and for our accommodations thought we'd roll the dice and try something really different - The Sybaris. The reviews on here seem to run about 10 to 1 in favor of the Sybaris and you can mark us down squarely in the rave review corner. It was everything we hoped it would be.

First off, YES, it's cheesy. There's no getting around the. The beds have pink and blue lighting for God's sake! All that was missing was the Jan Hammer theme music. But that's not a criticism. At least it's not if you're the sort of person who can embrace the hedonistic, somewhat goofy nature of the hotel and just go with it. The decor of the room really makes you feel as if you're stepping back in time to 1985. But feel I must stress again that I mean that in a GOOD way. It's not a run down 1985...the room was in such immaculate condition it felt as if they could have been built last year.

The pool was barely larger than a large hot tub (we got the Paradise Suite) but we spent half our time in it anyway. Next visit (and there WILL be a next visit) we'll probably try the biggest room with the biggest pool. I LOVED relaxing with a cold beer in the steam room and spent a fair amount of time in there as well.

Not much in the way of delivery (a Papa John's and a Chinese restaurant) but there are a few other restaurants very close by that you can visit. NO windows at all - great for privacy AND for sleeping in after a late night of partying with the wife. We just shut ourselves in the room at 5 (they let us check in a little early) and didn't emerge until checkout time the next day.

If you're looking for a romantic getaway and a kitschy trip back in time, I can't recommend this place highly enough. We will be visiting at least once a year...probably twice.

(I have only one negative comment. The staff seemed obsessed with getting my comment card from me even though it CLEARLY is self addressed to be sent to their headquarters. They kept asking me for it and when I told them I'd fill it out and mail it in later they even offered to fill it out for me. To the front desk staff at the Sybaris I'd say, relax, I gave you an extremely positive review. But I don't like the feeling that negative reviews are being tossed in the garbage. You have a great place...have some faith in yourselves.)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MichaelSean
Granite City
Reviewed July 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed there for our 17th anniversary. It was more than what we expected. When we first walked through the door it was breath taking. It has a very relaxed and romantic atmosphere. They had soft romantic music playing and champagne on ice. We had such a wonderful time. The pool was heated and felt great the whole stay. There are a lot of places close by if you want to go out for dinner or have it delivered. The staff was GREAT. This will be where we will spend every anniversary for years to come. My husband and I LOVED it. We can not stop talking about it. We can't wait to go back! We have been telling everyone we know about Sybaris!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shiningladyc
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 26, 2009

My husband and I stayed there for our 10 year anniversary. It was more than what we expected. The room was so clean. I ordered the rose pedals to be place on the bed and it was, so romantic. OMG, we had such a wonderful time. The pool was heated and felt great the whole stay. We didn't have to leave for nothing. The staff was GREAT. I mention going out to eat and the staff said why bother and brought me out so menus that delivery. This will be where we spent every anniversary for years to come. Me and my husband LOVED it. We can not stop talking about it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank l0velylady1
Ohio
Reviewed May 25, 2009

The hotel was nicer than we expected. The pool and steam room were big and clean, that is where we spent most of our time. The pool and room could use some new paint but was nice overall. There are a whole bunch of good restaurants close to the suite ans downtown was only 20 minutes away. We are going to try a different location in December.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple