“Nice Hotel for Hoards of People”

Drury Inn & Suites Indianapolis Northeast
Ranked #11 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Washington, DC
“Nice Hotel for Hoards of People”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have stayed at many Drury Inns. Maybe the word is out about what a great hotel it is for families especially if you have pets. I compliment the staff that they try and try and try to make it as nice as possible. They are working extremely hard in rough conditions yet manage to stay friendly.

I always recommend Drury Inn. I don't think you can go wrong. We use it because of the pet friendly policy that offers nice rooms (not terrible 'pet rooms') for those of us that have nicely groomed animals.

The problem this chain suffers is nothing they can control--it is the people, the hoards of people that descend on the hotel. In my most recent stay, it was a baseball tournament. I am sure that these rooms were filled with more than a family with kids. The amount of people would seem to indicate about half a team per room.

Kids can be unruly, but the adults don't help! What happened to civility? Take one plate at a time and nicely wait your turn. Just because it is free does not mean you need three to five plate-fulls of food stacked on each other. This is not a grocery shopping trip.

The evening is the worse. The kids come in from the over crowded pool dripping wet to get another over-boiled hot dog. No towel. No shoes. Again, in the morning, the staff tries to enforce the clothing and shoe rules, but the kids ignore. The adults, trying to hold up their baggy pants with one hand and a plate-full of food in the other, aren't helping enforce the rules either.

Sorry for the complaint. We have been to this one many times and I was disappointed, but it was the guests that made the bad experience. Maybe limit 6 to a room? Don't go on a Saturday night in the summer? Or choose the older hotel in the chain instead of the new one?

The staff are excellent. The room was perfect and clean. Dodge the lobby and eat out. The staff tries to accommodate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 5thousand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Czech first
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is an excellent Drury Inn!!! My husband and I often travel with our pets and love the pet friendly atmosphere of Drury Inns. This Drury by far has been the best yet, and I am admittedly very picky when comes to hotels. The hotel looks very new, has excellent customer service, and is immaculate-I had to look hard to find anything out of place. Comfortable room and bed, and close to restaurants. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer K
Marion, Illinois, United States
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I used to stay at the hotels on the 21st street area but found this Drury a few years ago. I have relatives in the area so this is closer to them and it is close to the malls, stores, and restaurants we like to frequent when in the area. I am a Gold Key Member and for the most part, I am always satisfied; if I need an upgrade, no problem, the staff is always friendly. This Drury is relatively new and I've stayed there often enough to notices some of the not so great changes. Sometimes the breakfast area is unclean and hard to find a table. Noise levels have increased and there were some t concerns with cleanliness with our room the next day as the maids were a little on the sloppy side with the cleaning(didn't empty trash and half-cleaned the bathroom). I will continue to stay there but hope that management will kick it up a notch and ensure the quality increases and doesn't go down.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Effingham, Illinois, United States
Reviewed June 28, 2013

After a mere 2 stays in Drury Hotels, we promptly decided it would be WELL worth it to sign up for the Gold Key program. The free kickback at 5:30, the free popcorn and soda, the generous breakfast, the sizable hot tub in the pool area, and the comfort and style of the rooms make for a HEAVENLY experience! This Drury is conveniently located to a great deal of shopping and dining in the Castleton neighborhood! This hotel will ALWAYS be our pick when lodging in Indy! NEVER a single problem!

Room Tip: Spend the extra ten dollars for the Jacuzzi/walk-in shower combination in the bathroom! SO nice! :)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. The room was clean and spacious. The kids slept on the pull-out couch and my husband and I had a door that separated our bed and TV from them. The free breakfast was a nice convenience, as was the popcorn in the lobby later in the day. My only dislike of the place was the pool. We did not use the pool because it was very crowded, and when it wasn't the water looked unpleasantly cloudy. Not sure what was going on -- maybe they were having a hard time keeping it clean with all those people using it.

The staff was friendly and the location was decent for finding restaurants and stores. Not a bad drive to Indy 500 Hall of Fame and Children's Museum.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
California
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Have been staying at this particular Drury every year, for the past 5-6 years, at least once or twice a year, while visiting family in the area. Have kept returning due to what used to be consistent quality, cleanliness and value. Unfortunately, due to what I can only assume is poor management, all three of those factors have steeply declined.

Our most recent 7 night stay will likely be our last at this hotel and possibly any Drury.

Here's all the cons:

NOISE-- Pretty much every weekend, during season, the hotel is over-run by teenage baseball tournament teams. Our first few nights during the recent stay were miserable. The kids in the room next to us slammed their door literally at least 80 times and were running in the halls, screaming and yelling in their room as well as hitting the walls until 2:30 in the morning. Every guest within 3-4 doors of them called the front desk multiple times. It was so bad that the front desk guy was yelling through their door, threatening to call the police and have them escorted out of the hotel. Despite this, no apologies were made by the hotel and no compensation of any form was offered. Also, like other reviewers note-half the rooms face the freeway which is very loud. If you're a light sleeper, bring earplugs.

FRIENDLINESS OF STAFF-- has declined very steeply. The guy at check-in was not friendly or polite or even remotely warm. About half the staff we encountered seemed unhappy and were unfriendly. Everyone used to be very friendly. Apparently, not any more.

CLEANLINESS-- some parts of our room were clean, some were disgustingly filthy and unsanitary. Every surface that gets repeatedly handled by guests--doors, door knobs, dresser drawers and knobs, mini fridge door, were unbelievably, obviously filthy. They seemed like they had not been cleaned in a very long time. There were greasy and very sticky hand and finger prints on all these surfaces. The mini fridge had not been cleaned in at least a year, if ever. The room smelled odd and musty as if a previous guest had smoked in the room and housekeeping did a poor job trying to mask the odor with air freshener.

MAINTENANCE-- our TV was broken (1/2 the channels were mostly static) and did not get fixed for a long time.

RESPONSIVENESS-- this was the most inexcusably and unacceptably negative aspect of our stay. For four days straight, we called every day and requested that our room be cleaned (the problems listed earlier) and the TV repaired. Nothing was done until the 4th day when we asked for the general manager. On the third day, the asst manager, Matt, was very polite and friendly (he even offered to discount a night for all the hassles) Unfortunately, he failed to follow through and ensure that the problems were resolved. They were not. On the fourth day I called the front desk and spoke with a rude and angry sounding lady who kept talking over me. She promised to relay the problems to the GM. Finally, the broken TV was replaced and someone was sent to the room to clean all the dirty surfaces. The person who cleaned the room did a very half-hearted job because there were still greasy hand prints on over the doors, and the fridge and dressers were not touched at all. And, again, nobody apologized or followed up to apologize for anything.

BREAKFAST-- very inconsistent quality and, at times, completely disgusting. On weekends, there's extra staff and the pastries and breads are fresh and everything is restocked. Throughout the week, the staff is invisible. Numerous items are not restocked (fruits) and some are removed long before breakfast time is over (all the breads and bagels were removed over half an hour early one day). By Wednesday, the breads and pastries were disgustingly stale. They were completely inedible. It was clear that the hotel buys breads and pastries on the weekend and keeps putting the same leftovers out, every morning, all morning, where they sit in the open getting inedibly stale. At one point a staff member saw us looking for the missing bagels and breads, made eye contact and quickly walked in the back and never came back out.

I can't imagine how this hotel has declined so much in such a short period of time. My best guess is new or tired management who is doing a terrible job and needs to be replaced. Or maybe it's high turnover. Which is often due to management. Either way, far too many aspects of our recent stay were far too unacceptably poor to warrant recommending this hotel for any reason.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank gringoca
DruryHotels, Regional Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Indianapolis Northeast, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel in Indianapolis. We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations on your recent visit.

Providing our customers with a friendly, clean, and problem free stay is our number one mission. We will be sharing your experience with the team at the hotel. We will address the concerns with our welcoming team, housekeeping and management staff. Your comments will be reviewed and acted upon so each future guest will walk out of our hotel with a great experience.

Hopefully, you will reconsider our Drury Hotel chain for any future lodging needs.

Regional Manager
Canton, Michigan
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel Memorial Day weekend.

The location is great! Right off of I 69 and 82nd/Shadeland, which is a popular part of Indy. Yes, the hotel has complimentary appetizers and beverages everyday. While this is a nice feature, I wasn't all that impresssed BUT that is just me. There were a lot of people in the dining area, so they obviously enjoyed it. They had hot dogs (which looked pretty questionable), bowls of salad, mac and cheese, chips and salsa, nacho cheese and celery and carrot sticks. The same goes for the complimentary drinks. The same goes for the drinks.... There is also a complimentary breakfast buffet, but I did not utilize it.

In regards to food, the thing I did enjoy was the comlimentary popcorn and soda. They have it available until 10 in the evening. It was great!

The staff were extremely friendly and the check in/check out was quick and efficient.

The rooms were very nice except the refridgerator did not work. We had purchased some cold cuts to make sandwiches for our trip the next day to the Indy 500 and was dissapoitned when I went to put them in the fridge and the fridge wasn't cool. I turned up the dial and waited, but it refused to work. Thankfully we had a cooler and acccess to ice, so the food didn't spoil.

They had a pool (I didn't use it, but it looked really nice) and a nice business center with a couple of computers and printer.

I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple