“Mexican Comfort Food”
Review of Festiva

Festiva
Ranked #259 of 2,216 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Description: Fresh, full flavors that will change the way you think about Mexican food. Margaritas, wines, quart beer and more. #monon16 21+
Reviewed February 17, 2019

Great unique Mexican place, Many recipes have been passed down through the owners family, His Mom's Mole is fantastic Chicken Tinga Tostadas, Fish Tacos, Shrimp Tacos Al Pastor Tacos are all standouts as well as Pollo Achiote. They have a great Tequila list and make some tasty cocktails including a Mezcal Old Fashioned.

Date of visit: February 2019
Write a reviewReviews (56)

Reviewed January 4, 2019 via mobile

I’ve been here twice. Once was a few years ago, and my most recent visit was for dinner on New Year’s eve. Their margaritas are the best things ever and certainly pack a punch. Their guacamole has so much flavor and you can’t stop eating it! I had pork with mole for my entree that was divine, and the orange flan for dessert. It was a wonderful meal and I will be going back soon!

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed December 30, 2018

While vising friends, we stopped at this restaurant for dinner. It is quite small and doesn't really draw you in, it is an older building and kind of looks run down. There is an enclosed porch with heaters that kept it quite comfortable despite the 40 degrees outside.

We started off with the margarita special which was a blood orange margarita. It was
great- not syrupy sweet and a slice of blood orange for a garnish . We started with some guacamole and chips which were also delicious. For an entrée I had the Camarones Adobo, which were grilled skewered shrimp with Mexican rice. This dish was very flavorful, but not too spicy. My husband had the Costillas which were ribs in a honey sauce. The meat was so tender that it fell off the bone and the half rack was plenty of food. We did finish the meal with an order of churros which were warm and drizzled with caramel and also served with a chocolate sauce.

The staff was very helpful and accommodating providing descriptions and substituting sides. Festiva is on my "Return to" list when we are in Indianapolis again.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed December 9, 2018

We had been to Festiva under the previous ownership. It is so much better now. The flavors and menu are much more authentic thanks to the new chef/owner. Some outstanding entrees --- veggie tacos, shrimp tacos and the Costillas (BBQ ribs). Each one was outstanding. The person who had the ribs felt they were one of their top 5 meat entrees ever. If you haven't been since the ownership took over --- Go Now. I know we will be back.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 18, 2018

I've been here twice. First time was a mess, so I decided to wait and give it another shot. Second visit was worse. I doubt I'll ever be back. Below - the good, the bad, and the ugly...

5/5 Vibe/Atmosphere. This place is hip, and they know it. You will too. Great trendy vibe, and a good hustle/bustle feeling throughout.

5/5 Prices/Value. You'll pay what you would expect, maybe even less, for excellent and well prepared food. Personally, a little too much spice in "everything", but I understand it's the type or cuisine.

4/5 Parking. Parking is super easy. They have a small lot you can park in, or along the street.

The above excellent ratings apply to both visits to this place. But that's where the goodness ends...

2/5 Slow service. Not once, but twice our service was uncomfortably slow. The first visit seemed like they forgot about us. Our server was friendly, but just seemed to not care about taking care of us in a timely manner.

The 2nd visit this week I was literally starving, and you'd think asking for some appetizers would be quick and painless. Not if you have to wait on Cami. Don't show up expecting quick service. ONE exception - the couple who sat next to our table was served very quickly...more on that in the next paragraph.

0/5 Fair Service. Does ANYONE like being served after the people who arrived after you did? This must be a universal "no no". But Cami, nor this restaurant seem to understand this fact. We sat down, and 2 minutes later another couple sat next to us. I actually saw this couple pulling into the small parking lot as I was walking into the restaurant. Zero wait time, we were seated right away. Then I see the couple that had been parking their car get seated - then I watch Cami proceed to welcome them and arrange to bring them water! Yes I was pissed, and this COULD have been saved/recovered - but the delays continued, amplifying the aggravation of not being served in a fair sequence. First impressions people.

The couple next to us HAD THEIR ENTREES before we even ordered ours. Yes, we had appetizers, but the whole thing just pissed me off.

Date of visit: November 2018