“Pretty Place to Visit”

35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Pretty Place to Visit”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The lower level of the house is interesting and furnished. The upstairs is unfurnished, but you can visit it. There is an elevator for the handicapped, but the gardens have no provision for wheel chairs. The gardens are lovely with pretty but rather steep walkways. A relaxing interval.

Visited June 2013

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Charming Way to Spend a Day”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Visited the Oldfield Eli Lilly Mansion during the Dec. 2012 holiday season. The mansion was beautiful and the tour guides were very informative and helpful. I would recommend this tour as an added bonus to visiting the Indiana Art Museum. It's a great way to spend a day in Indianapolis without spending a lot of money. I would highly recommend this to family & friends.

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Linda0212
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Beautiful Mansion”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This house really impressed me. The first floor was amazing. The Second had no furnishings and tell about the Lilly history, which I kind of find a waste of space. The gardens are some of the best I've seen and the small botanical Garden.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank jacobtraveler11
Anderson, Indiana
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Wonderful Visit - Gorgeous Flowers”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I had been wanting to come down to the IMA Gardens for a while now because I wanted to see the flowers. We went this past weekend (first weekend in May) and it was stunning! All the flowering trees were in bloom and the phlox and bluebells were in full color! It was like something out of a movie to be honest - I was shocked at how fabulous it was. They have all kinds of ponds with coy fish, waterfalls, fountains, sculptures, walkways, it is lovely! It is also a fabulous place for students because ALL their gardens are marked with the flower types and they have labeled conifer and tree trails for educational purposes.

We parked up around the greenhouse and started there. Unfortunately, this was Prom Weekend and there were gobs of teens all dressed up with anxious parents snapping photos all over the place so we did not go into the Lilly House on this visit (this also limited the numbers of photographs I was able to take because there were literally hundreds of kids swarming the "big" landmarks of the park. On a side note if you have a teen and want prom pictures that look like they are from a movie set this is the place to come!). There was also a wedding that had just ended in the formal garden so there were tons of people there when we visited. There is a trail system that goes along the canal and a pond in the 100 Acres. We were the only people on this trail (other visitors were more into looking at the amazing art sculptures they have throughout the park). The trail is nicely kept and has artistic benches throughout. It was VERY muddy however (it had rained during the week) but luckily we had hiking boots on.

The greenhouse was closed by the time we got done with the trail, but I think you can purchase flowers and trees here (we will definitely come back here soon). There is also an ice cream stand located inside the tree branch swing (it too was closed, but I think it opens later in the year when it is warmer out). Aside from the prom and wedding visitors, there were tons of runners and bikers who came down the Canal Tow Line. It is an excellent place for both. The best thing about all this is that it was TOTALLY FREE! We parked for free, and if we had wanted to go into the museum it too would have been 100% free. We will visit the museum next time; we were in hiking clothes and boots which is not exactly suitable for visiting a museum.

We saw all kinds of critters and birds on the trail which was great considering the gardens and museum are located right in the heart of Indy. The IMA and the gardens are I guess what you would consider to be a "tourist hub", so I would imagine every weekend it is likely packed with people down here. Very nice visit! We spent a good 2 1/2 hours here in the gardens alone!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank GrayCatVintage
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Nice and Relaxing History Tour”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Visiting the grounds of the Lilly House was neat. Be sure to visit in late April and into the summer because the flowers are all in bloom and it's good weather enough to sit outside and enjoy the breeze. For photographers such as Anita and I, it was cool because not only are the gardens amazing, the grounds have statues everywhere and they are set in interesting areas. We had fun just walking the grounds, taking pictures, and taking it all in watching people. We also took the tour of the Lilly House and that was interesting. It's worth doing if you're looking for a more subdued something to do. Then if you get bored and you're interested in art, the Indianapolis Art Museum is right next door.

Visited April 2013