“FREE! Lovely gardens.” 4 of 5 stars

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“FREE! Lovely gardens.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was so easy to get to from downtown. And and interesting little drive there. This is on the same grounds as the Art Museum which can be a bit confusing at first. We stopped by the greenhouse first. They had many interesting plants fort purchase and a little gift shop with unique items. We then moved on to the house and were pleasantly surprised to find it was free. They talked about a special holiday shop in the house but it was not much to speak of. A few ornaments and such but nothing special or distinctive. You can do a self guided tour or use a docent. Our time constraints dictacted we do the self guided tour. I love olf houses and this was a good one. Furnishing were a bit tired but I could mostly look past that and imagine the home in it's heyday. They often had photos of what it looked lie "when". The docent in the front hall was a mean crusty old woman. Why she was there I'll never know.

They already had holiday decorations up and there were unfortunate. I realize this was a free tour but they were sad pieces that were just pieced together. A bit tacky.

I did love seeing this old house and am so glad we made the drive out.

Visited November 2012

Savannah, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“I love this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This home is especially beautiful to visit during the holiday season.Highly recommend going on the tour. Worth learning more about the history of this beautiful home and the grounds. A photographers paradise with the lush landscape.

Visited November 2012
Rochester
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Beautiful home and gardens - must see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I loved strolling the gardens. The sculpture is wonderful. For the garden lovers you can pick up a map that will help you locate trees and evergreens throughout the garden. Tour the house too. It is incredible. Many people using the gardens for a back drop for the professional pictures. Great experience. I would go again and again just to see the changing blooms of the garden.

Visited October 2012
Chciago
115 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Worth a Look!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is a free outing and not bad for what it is. Beautiful house and location. However the inside tour, which is brief is okay, but fairly standard. I suggest it as a nice thing to do if in town and it's a nice day, because the grounds are really the highlight.

Visited October 2012
Urbana, Illinois
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Great for Sunday afternoon Exploration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We went the Art Museum/Lily House expecting to spend about half our time at each. Instead, we spent a better part of the afternoon just exploring the home and surrounding gardens. The house was nicely restored and fun to walk through. We missed the docent lead tour, so I recommend checking ahead to find out times. I would have liked more history on the families, but it was still great. The gardens were beautiful and made for a great fall afternoon, especially to wander around and take photos.

Visited September 2012