“YUM!!!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Maxine's chicken and waffles has delicious food. The place is small, so call ahead if you are bringing a group. It lives up to it's billing of good, southern style soul food.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Found this gem and we had a great meal

I think they cook with love, because we felt it in the food. We shared the chicken and waffles with sweet potato waffles, and three sides - Mac n cheese, fried green tomatoes and a veggie

All of that and some iced tea and we were stuffed to the gills! By the way, it only set us back $29 in total, so it was a good deal too

1  Thank David M
Reviewed January 23, 2013

this is the real deal! Authentic souther home cooking. They even have hoe cakes with peach butter that is melt in your mouth good. The smothered chicked just falls off the bone. There is nothing there not to like!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

This was our first visit to Maxine's. When we arrived we were greeted instantly and then seated. Our waitress was very nice and took good care of us.The complimentary corn bread and peach butter was very delectable and sustained our appetites until the food was ready to be served. I went with my friend and my brother. My friend who is ovu-vegetarian ordered the veggie omelet (without cheese), wheat toast, and breakfast potatoes, all were quite yummy! My brother and I got chicken and waffles (my brother got the sweet potato waffle and I got the regular waffle) we shared a side of onion rings.The food was very good! We will be back!

Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Love the idea of chicken and waffles. I don't know why it is such a divisive food combo. Our Maxine's in Minnesota closed before it even really opened; the locals just couldn't wrap their culinary heads around it.

Indy's Maxine's is half of an unglamourous gas station - a location that is almost transcended. The place shows some wear & tear but is still homey. However, it also feels a little souless with all of the tv's.

The food had great potential, but failed in little ways. The waffles (which the waitress couldn't identify by flavor when served) were rubbery and bland. I have no idea what made mine sweet potato. The general service around the room seemed to lack food knowledge as well, as we saw several tables sending back items or missing ordered items.

What saved this experience for me was the AMAZING chicken. Although the wings lacked a lot of meat, they were the tastiest fried chicken I've ever had. The crispy breading, seasoning & moist meat were delightful. Again, the amount of meat in the giant wings was deceptively little, but the taste fantastic.

On a side note, my picky nephew usually eats 2 bites of his restaurant meal and is done. He actually ate his entire kids meal & asked for more chicken sausage. That was a welcome surprise.