“A little soul in the midwest”

Maxine's Chicken & Waffles
Ranked #141 of 2,395 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Great place for lunch and to embrace Southern cuisine. Staff provided excellent service. It is located within easy driving or walking distance to downtown. The walk will aid in the calorie burn to stay fit.

1  Thank thepearl8

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Went there as part of a birthday celebration with eight people and to save money. I'm usually on the hook for several hundred dollars at this annual affair and I wanted something less expensive this time. Group was not excited going in but all agreed it was excellent. Called to reserve a large table for diner. Ready when we arrived and the food and service was terrific. Really good appetizers and main dishes were as well. Service was fast for such a busy period. There was a steady line at the door but people didn't have to wait long. I had the Smothered Chicken with a side of waffle and grits. Excellent and more than I could eat. Everyone left full ang happy with a promise to return soon. I left with about $200 more in my pocket than I usually do after one of these events. "Thank you Maxine!"

1  Thank Putterface
Reviewed November 18, 2012

There is nothing fancy about this restaurant. The tables and seating all look well used. But make no mistake, this place serves GREAT diner breakfast food -- the comfort food your mother or grandmother would make. The pancakes and waffles are wonderful. They're light and airy and are served with a tasty peach butter and maple syrup. They asked us if we wanted a flavor, but we went with the plain. We'll be trying the sweet potato waffles next time. The service we received was excellent. Our coffee was topped off several times, never allowing us to finish a cup. And our server cleared away any dishes or trash more than once during our meal to keep the table tidy. All the staff were super friendly. We recently moved to Indy from Wisconsin, so we have been on the hunt for a good place for breakfast on the weekends. This place is it. We'll be back, many times. Take note: they open for breakfast at 9 on Sundays. That is a little later than we're used to, but that's just something we're noticing about Indy in general.

1  Thank sylvrunr
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The best food combo known to man, Fried Chicken and Waffles! You can choose from 3 huge chicken wings or 3 chicken strips, plus a variety of waffles. Our waiter, James, recommended the Sweet Potatoe Waffle, but I went with Vanilla. The menu is full of other comfort foods if waffles are not what you want for dinner. James made the visit special as he accepted our invitation to sit and talk about the departure of Peyton Manning (the best QB of all times, in James' opinion). Don't go if you want something fancy. It has been open for years and the wear and tear is evident on the building but the people were extremely nice and food was good, prices low. The cake on the counter looked marvelous, but I left that for the next trip.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I drover by this restueraunt one Sunday afternoon and saw people wrapped around the building, waiting to get in and knew that I had to stop in. I was not disappointed. The chicken and waffles were perfect topped with the homeade peach butter! You must, must try the fried Green tomatoes, Light and non greasey, sesoned perfectly! We also had a slice of cake that reminded me of my aunts!!