“Unfortunate”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I purchased a Groupon for $15 ($30 value) to use at Miyagi's. My boyfriend decided to use it on a Wednesday evening for dinner. When we arrived, we were told by a Japanese man (who we assume was the manager) that we could not eat there because a waitress had called in sick and they did not have enough staff to assist us. Another group arrived at the same time and were told the same thing. There were about 5-6 tables already seated with a sole waitress attending to them. We left, dissapointed, as we'd driven about 20 minutes from home to eat there, as well as use my almost-expired Groupon. If I were the manager, I would have explained the situation and been helping to serve the customers myself. To turn away business is a little shocking.

When we returned a week later, we were able to get a table. Our waitress was extremely hurried and, when speaking, was at a very low volume. We could barely understand her. She was very young and when we ordered a bottle of wine, she brought it to us but had no clue how to open it or do any kind of wine "presentation". While this is not a fine-dining or even a typical wine establishment, I was a bit turned off by the fact that this server had not the slightest idea of how to serve our wine properly. This should at least be a basic function of waitstaff. At the very least, pour the glasses before bringing them (and the open bottle) to the table.

The sushi was okay - large portions - but I've had better at other places in Indianapolis. Especially considering the extremely high prices.

The service was what truly made us not want to return again.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Had a coupon from Restaurant.com for $25.00 off at Miyagis, so decided to give it a try. The atmosphere is fairly nice and comfortable. The owners wife is behind the bar creating little treats. They were fairly busy due to the Groupon deal currently going, so service was a bit slow but not a problem. I ordered the New York steak & mixed vegetable $18.00 My wife had the Nigeri sushi (regular size portion) $21.00. We started with a shrimp & scallop appetizer $8.00. The steak was thinly sliced & tender. Vegetables were a mixture of mushrooms, zucchini, onions, squash & peppers. A bit bland actually. My wife said that the sushi was better at other restaurants, but enjoyed it nonetheless. Total bill (no alcohol) came to $53.00. Amount after $25.00 certificate was $28.00. Certificate cost was $10.00, so actual total was $38.00.

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

1st visit--- We ordered sushi and got bad fish!!! Everyone was so sick, we couldn't even finish eating it. The fish smelled rotten.
2nd visit (because I believe in giving everything a try at least 3 times)--- Was stopped at the door when we were on our way in on a Thurs @ 7:45 and was told by the manger that the waiter called in sick and that he couldn't seat us until after 8 because they needed to clean the restaurant. Huh! We couldn't even sit in the restaurant until they could seat us. They wanted us to leave and come back later. But there were tables already set up. Needless to say, we went to Sakura, which is THE best sushi in Indianapolis.
3rd try--- NOPE, I know what the definition of an idiot is. And we are NOT ever going back there again, even if the food is free!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I love sushi. Let me re-iterate: my husband and I LOVE sushi. And Miyagi, while expensive, is normally pretty good quality. So, one late afternoon, after a few appointments, it was around 4pm and we decided to head to Miyagi for some nigiri, rolls, beer and sake. Big mistake.

We were the only people in the place - maybe others are experiencing the same atrocious level of service and are staying away. After being seated, we ordered drinks and my husband ordered a beer and a single Otokoyama sake. The beer arrived first, being poured into a glass in front of my husband, like they normally do. The server said she had to ask someone who had been there longer than her where the sake was, because she couldn't find the bottle.

When she returned, she had poured the sake into a champagne flute. What? A champagne flute? In the 100+ times we've ordered sake, we have *never* had it served like that. It comes in its own bottle with sake glasses.

One sip and my husband almost spit it out. He then had me taste it. It literally tasted like nail polish remover. It either was a bad bottle of Otokoyama or something had gone terribly wrong. I again commented that it was strange that they had served it in a flute without "presenting" the bottle. My husband wondered if it was truly Otokoyama - because it certainly didn't taste like it.

We gestured for the waitress and my husband explained the problem. Her first comment was: "Well, that's the $15 one you ordered." Ummmm, what? So my husband says, "It's obviously oxidized or there is something wrong with it." And she just stands there. Hey - here's a thought: how about apologizing and taking it away? Seeing as she isn't going to do anything at this point, my husband asks to see the bottle.

She brings over this HUGE magnum-sized bottle of sake and my husband says, "ok, who knows how long that has been open and sitting around? The bottle is more than half empty and if it's been open a long time, it goes off.". She said, and I quote, "well, you don't know how long it has been sitting around." AYFKM??

At this point, I take the glass, hand it to her and tell her to stop arguing with the customer, the sake is bad, and she needs to take it off the bill.

She tells me she is not arguing with my husband at all. And proceeds to argue with me about her NOT arguing with my husband? Anyone else see the irony here?

I tell her, obviously, since she mentioned she hadn't been there that long, that maybe she needs to learn a bit more about customer service. That if the customer hasn't consumed more than a tiny bit and is dissatisfied, then it comes off the bill. And again, she tells me she wasn't arguing with my husband. I tell her to take it away.

She leaves and my husband and I, despite being ravenous, decide to leave. She is down the hall and I tell her we're leaving. Not only does she roll her eyes at me, but she starts laughing too.

So I marched over to her and told her if she thought losing her only customers who just ordered over $60 in food was funny, then maybe that's why they had no business besides us in the first place and that she and the entire staff needed to take a lesson in customer service. And she starts arguing with me again that she wasn't laughing.

We went to another sushi place, dropped $100 and had a great time, and left our nice, non-argumentative server with a $20 tip. Wonder who's laughing now?

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Went for lunch with family on a Saturday. Only 1 couple were there and another 2 walked in as we left. The owner welcomed us as we entered. Our waiter was courteous. We ordered Shumai ( 4 petite pieces, not as good as regular shumai's in other restaurants, through the fried shreds with lettuce on top in the corner on the plate were texture rich) , Shitake chicken fried rice ( bland on its own, but with hot sauce or wasabi tasted better) and Caterpillar roll ( good one). I have had Dibolo, Spicy tuna and avocado and caterpillar rolls before at this place and liked the caterpillar the best. Presentations of the food were a delight. . Overall- Pleasant experience.