“Great Hostel Experience!”

Indy Hostel
Albuquerque
“Great Hostel Experience!”
Reviewed May 26, 2010

This is a great hostel. Hubby and I are traveling around the States - trying to do things on the super cheap. We were delighted to discover that we could camp on the grounds of the hostel. Considering it was 1/2 the price of 2 beds and we had our own tent and camping gear already with us this was PERFECT. We were able to use all common areas of the hostel - the kitchen, computer room, living room, entertainment room, showers, bathrooms, deck, parking, and fast wi-fi.
We set up our tent in the backyard of the hostel. The ground was flat - no rocks to move, no large clumps of hard dirt to sleep on or try to move (you don't even always get this at real campgrounds)! We left our tent up during the days we were there and felt completely safe doing so.
The staff at the hostel were completely friendly. We had a good time.
I would recommend this hostel. So far, as a frequent traveler and hostel expert, this is by far one of my favorite hostels.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EmmaJaneMichelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
KY
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We needed a place to sleep and didn't want to spend a lot since we weren't going to be in the room very long at all. I found this hostel and booked it online. I will start by saying I had not experienced a hostel before, so my review is done from that perspective.

I was very discouraged when driving to it because Google maps routed us through a not-so-good part of town and I was afraid that's where we would be staying. But the hostel itself was on a quiet residential street. There was some off street parking there. The rooms are spread between two houses which are next door to one another. Common areas (kitchen, living room, internet room, etc) are in the one on the corner.

Our room was in the basement of the other house. We had a queen size bed. The room was tiny, but that didn't really bother me too much. What I didn't like was that there was no carpet or throw rugs in the room. The outside temperature dropped into the 50s that night, and it was very cold in there being in the basement with a concrete floor. The other thing I didn't like was that there are no locks on the bedroom doors. I didn't expect a deadbolt but even a little doorknob flip lock or eye and hook lock would have given me a little peace of mind. I kept waking up every so often because I was stressed about that door not being locked.

Everyone shares the same bathroom, which in and of itself isn't a big deal. But someone stayed in the shower for nearly a half hour the night we were there. Luckily we didn't have to go that bad or it could have been problematic.

We did not use the other common facilities so I can't comment on those.

While I don't consider myself very picky about accommodations, this stay has taught me that I am probably not cut out for the hostel experience and I will likely never do it again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mdmcqueen
Kevin019Sing, Manager at Indy Hostel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
This is a great chance to comment on the hostel experience versus other lodging accommodations.
Staying in a hotel is akin to dining at McDonald's. You know exactly what will be on the menu and you know what you like. Some McDonald's are cleaner than others and have slightly better customer service, but mostly, they are the same.
Staying in a hostel is like eating at a local restaurant in town. We've all had great experiences with these types of establishments and then we've also had some that didn't leave us wanting more. It is a greater risk, but the reward can be extraordinary. I know how great our hostel is because I'm here day in day out, but you have to take the risk (the reviews help too). Come and see us and be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for staying with me and my metaphor!
Jonkoping, Sweden
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Nice people, clean and fresch environments, access to internet, cookies and a lot of fun. Close to downtown Indianapoils. Really good. I feel like home!

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends