Indy Hostel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$209
$219
$93
$102
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbroad ripplefelt like homeother guestsplace to staymin walkrestaurants and barsbunkdowntownsleeping
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Very Cheap
Nice Laid Back Hippie-esque Decor
I was a little creeped out at night (hearing others moving around-coughing), but all was well.
The bathrooms were a tad dirty.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I didn't actually stay at the hostel this trip because they mistakenly cancelled my reservation (even though I had confirmed it the day before). I was called at 4:30 on the day I was supposed to check in and told I didn't have a room, which I had reserved months prior, because one of the staff had deleted my reservation. After being told repeatedly by the house manager that there was "nothing she could do" I hung up in disgust and frustration.

Having said that, the most disappointing part of this recent experience is that it would have been my fourth stay at the hostel, since my son just started at the university nearby (so, yes they lost a repeat customer for the next four years). The hostel is convenient to Butler University, clean and the rooms are adequate--kind of like staying at a friend's house for the weekend. Unfortunately, the house manager does not have any customer service skills. Having been a manager of both restaurants and hotels, I KNOW that there is never a case where the manager cannot do anything--perhaps offering to call around and find me a room in another hotel, or offering to comp a room on a future visit to make up for their mistake...just a couple of ideas. Since it was parent's weekend at the university, hotel rooms were hard to come by and I had visions of spending the night on my son's dorm floor. Luckily that didn't happen and I was able to find a room about 12 miles away.

However, it has now been five days, and I've not been contacted about having my deposit refunded or any other compensation for the extreme distress and inconvenience this caused.

Room Tip: I guess my advice would be to confirm and re-confirm that you actually have a room--the fact that a staff member would just cancel a reservation that was in the system for months is incomprehensible.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank ATO127
Kevin019Sing, Manager at Indy Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

We apologize that this type of service has been a part of our past, but I assure any potential guests that this is not how the hostel is run presently. Read the most recent reviews and look at the over fifty reviews at hostelworld.com. We appreciate your kind words about the hostel itself despite the lack of adequate service that you received.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

When planning our trip to Indianapolis, we booked a room at the Indy Hostel and confirmed our check in time at 7am on their website. After a mix up of our bus schedules, we arrived there at approximately 4:30am. After sitting outside of the completely locked hostel for about 10 minutes, we were finally let in and greeted by unfriendly guests. We were told to sit down while the owner was being awoken; this took about another 10 minutes. When he finally came down we were greeted with an unfriendly welcome by an intoxicated owner. We were then told that check in time was at 2pm the next day, despite the website advertising 24 hour check in and allowing us to book a 7am check in time. We were told by the owner that none of the beds were made yet and we would have to wait until the next day for our rooms to be available. After sitting in the hostel "lobby" (if you can even call it that) for about 2 hours and being harassed by intoxicated guests (whom we could hear vomiting in the bathroom 10 feet away), we finally found a motel and took a cab there so we could sleep. Completely ridiculous experience, I will never consider staying here again. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Eric7148
Reviewed August 10, 2011

On the website, it promises 24 hour check in. We made reservations and our ETA was 7am, which we confirmed on the website. We attempted to call the owner 13 times between the hours of 8pm and 10pm and he did not answer even after advertising 24 hour reception. There was a mix up on our bus schedule and we arrived at approximately 4:30am. Some of the guests let us in and woke him up. He gave us a huge attitude and demanded to know which website we used to make the reservations. We told him that we used his own site, which he checked. Our reservations were there.

He told us that check in time was 2pm and that we would have to wait in the lobby until that time. He was cold, unconcerned, unapologetic about his misleading website and completely unprofessional. The other guests that we talked to that were there did not like him either. We took a cab to a motel and that is where we are staying now. Some people are just miserable and this wannabe business owner is one of them.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank rankinac

As mentioned in some of my other responses, I would point you to the more recent reviews for a better picture of our hostel. The mentioned "owner" was only a manager at the time who does not work at the hostel any longer. In regard to the check-in times, we do encourage guests to arrive in the afternoon, but we can accommodate later check-ins when it is communicated before-hand.

Reviewed April 1, 2011

It was my first time in Indianapolis, flying in from Europe. I was at the hostel for a concert downtown. The manager of the band (Haste The Day, had to say their name) made a package deal with the hostel, which helped me to get an affordable stay for 3 nights. Even though the regular prices are really fair, anyway.
The staff there was kind, helpful, hospitable and easy going, I love it! The place downstairs is really cozy, the rooms were tidy, my sheets were fresh, the bathrooms were always clean.
Even though you're supposed/allowed to bring you own food and are able to cook proper meals in the well-equipped kitchen, some of the staff and guests, offered me some of their food and drinks, so sweet! At the hostel there was always free internet, which I used plenty.
All in all, I would surely recommend this hostel, especially if you're laid back and like to discover the nice areas of Indianapolis!

Room Tip: All the rooms upstairs were very nice!
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo